Can someone explain this?
    When I do a search on MSN for www.medsweb.net, the results and desciption are fine. If I do a search for Online Discount Pharmacy, my main keyword, I appear around position 180 with a description that I have never had for my site. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jim
    www.medsweb.net

My guess would be, that when you search for the domain msn is returning the description you supplied in your metatags. When you search those keywords msn puts together it's own description based on your content and those keywords.

As far as position 180, sounds like you need to do more SEO for the keywords in question.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

I'm guessing the same

Quote Originally Posted by jim132
    When I do a search on MSN for www.medsweb.net, the results and desciption are fine. If I do a search for Online Discount Pharmacy, my main keyword, I appear around position 180 with a description that I have never had for my site. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jim
    www.medsweb.net
    Your actual site will appear with a direct search in MSN of your url www.medsweb.net.

I searched MSN with Online Discount Pharmacy and "Online Discount Pharmacy"
    [without parentheses & with] but became lost in the results. I'd be interested if you would supply the exact link of the MSN Search page where your site comes up with the keyword search.

My guess is that your problem derives from the fact that you use very general keywords in your title that are used by a number of other companies as well.

I am not sure of the reason but I find that the search engines often splice information from other sources -- especially if other sources become "weighted" in their linking or other means of becoming associated in the batch search result outcomes.

Too many companies have the words online and discount and pharmacy in their titles -- it's too general & that's why after a search your company is swamped by a million others.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Here is the link to where my results can be found. It can be found at the bottom of the page.

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q...161&FORM=PDRE8

As far as doing more SEO, if my description, etc are not being used, what is the point? I'm thinking that maybe I need to scrap my keywords and go back to the drawing board. It just bothers me that the Search Engines can totally disregard what is actually on the site and pull results from somewhere else.

Jim
    www.medsweb.net

I just tried searching with parenthesis and the results show my description, etc. Granted I appear on page nine but at least I understand where the data is coming from.

Jim
    www.medsweb.net

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    the description is coming from your dmoz listing....

http://dmoz.org/Business/Biotechnolo..._Distribution/

(congrats on being listed there by the way!)

Thanks for the congrats, but since it doesn't really describe my site, it's doesn't do me much good. Any idea why MSN would pull the description from dmoz instead of the actual website?

Jim
    www.medsweb.net

the crux of it is this choice...

use the webmaster's description of what they say they are...
    versus...
    use dmoz's description, considered an authority on verifying and editing and listing what you are...

so much trickery by webmasters means some search engines give more credence to dmoz than to the actual webmaster...

find lots more info with this search...

http://www.google.com/search?q=dmoz+...cription+serps

ABW Ambassador
    This is the DMOZ title and description:

Medsweb - Online distributor of ion pharmaceuticals - based in Canada.
    And this is what's showing up in the MSN search, which is not half bad - it's using all the keywords for this search (the site is now on page 18, not 17):

Discount Online Pharmacy | Medsweb.net
    Online distributor of ion pharmaceuticals - based in Canada.

www.medsweb.net
    The date shown for MSN's cache of that page in that search is Feb. 8, but let's take a look at what's in

Google's cache for that site

Well I'll be darned! Not a sign of discount online pharmacy, that page is all about "Best diet pill - discount Phentermine," and the date of that snapshot in Google's cache is January 28, 2006. Some of the text from the text-only cached page:

Medsweb.net offers the best diet pill, discount Phentermine, and several other possible options at deeply discounted prices to help you lose weight. You will find the best diet pill to meet your needs. Check the Weight Loss section on the right of the page and find a great price for discount Phentermine as well as many other of the best diet pills.

Here are some sample prices:

15mg Discount Phentermine 60 count $73.00

30mg Discount Phentermine 30 count $59.00

37.5mg Discount Phentermine 60 count $79.00

Bookmark this site and come back often to continue saving money on discount Phentermine.
    And *that* is exactly why ODP title and descriptions (and in Yahoo's case, the Yahoo Directory or DMOZ as the final option) are often used - because it's necessary for them to.

Thank you all for the feedback.

I did just redo the site and Google has not yet indexed the changes which is why the MSN cache and Google cache are so different.

What do you siggest I do now? Rework the index page so that it fits the DMOZ description or wait until Google updates their listing and see if that affects MSN? Sorry for all of the questions, but I am quite lost.

Jim
    www.medsweb.net

I've gone to DMOZ and updated the site name and description to match what is currently on my site. Hopefully this will bring things back in line. I'll let you know in case anyone else is having the same problem.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    You'd better leave the site in a condition that's exactly what's represented by the DMOZ listing - and especially the category. Had an editor or meta seen it when it was about phentermine it would have been removed because it doesn't fit that category with the main page selling phentermine.

Don't be surprised if they don't make any changes, it's rare at best even when there's a legit reason. The description is short but describes what the company is, and the title they gave is the name of the site. They don't care about keywords and are very unlikely to change anything to put them in.

Patience is a virtue. MSN is now reading the description as it appears on my site and I have gone from around 175 to 47 for my main keyword. Still need to do some work, but trying to move up from 47 is a lot better than 175. Thanks for the input.

Jim
    www.medsweb.net

Webmaster's can now opt out of MSN using the dmoz description by placing a metatag on the pages you want to opt out of...

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOODP">
    or
    <META NAME="msnbot" CONTENT="NOODP">

Either works.

Details:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/msnsearch/arch...22/603917.aspx

(Moderator - suggested change to thread title - "Why is MSN using my dmoz description in SERPs?")

Thumbs up
    That's great. Thanks for sharing.

Jim132

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread