Trying to ban googles images
    I have tried this below (in my .htaccess file) to ban google from using my images but I still kept getting lots of hits from their images section. I tried to add the http// like bottom and I kept getting an "Internal Server Errror" error message.

Can anybody please tell me the correct way to ban the various google images URL's?

<Limit GET PUT POST>
    order deny,allow

deny from images.google.com
    </Limit>

<Limit GET PUT POST>
    order deny,allow

deny from http://images.google.com
    </Limit>
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Lightbulb
    I'm still wondering about this whole concept. Is a hit from images.google.com really someone using your bandwidth for their purposes, or is it the result of someone using a specific function of a search engine to locate sites with a particular .jpg or .gif?

I see a high percentage of this kind of hits on a collectibles site that is heavy in standard graphics*, and the hits come from four to six, sometimes more, country-centric googles.

The only thing that bothers me is that I don't think I see sales coming from this traffic.

_____
    *standard in this case in that they are provided probably by the manufacturer and could appear on many sites and be provided by many merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    I'm still wondering about this whole concept. Is a hit from images.google.com really someone using your bandwidth for their purposes, or is it the result of someone using a specific function of a search engine to locate sites with a particular .jpg or .gif?

I see a high percentage of this kind of hits on a collectibles site that is heavy in standard graphics*, and the hits come from four to six, sometimes more, country-centric googles.

The only thing that bothers me is that I don't think I see sales coming from this traffic.

_____
    *standard in this case in that they are provided probably by the manufacturer and could appear on many sites and be provided by many merchants.
    I think it is more of the search function for the exact .gif or .jpg

My site(s) used to be found through keywords and now I see a lot of traffic comes from the Google images search -- I am not so happy about that because I don't think such searches are invitations to see more of my site that has been revealed -- it's more of a "hit and run" type of thing.

What would happen if it were banned? Could it be banned?
    There would be less traffic to the site.

A couple of years ago I was annoyed by Ditto.com and had to re-word part of my site due to the annoyance
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

don't block google, just force a visitor who visities your site from images.google.com to a different page. Remember google doesn't just display the image. they display the image in a frame and the entire page below.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Would this work in a robots.txt file? But why ban them?

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    Disallow: / your image address or yourdomain.com here
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    don't block google, just force a visitor who visities your site from images.google.com to a different page.
    How would one do this?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    How would one do this?
    and how or what do you gain?

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread