Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Exclamation Hey smart people, I need your advice in here
    I'm feeling really dumb having all these things in my account, not knowing what they are or if I can use them to improve my sites. All my domain names are in this hosting account, so if I learn how to use this stuff it may improve all my sites.

I've had the account for several years and in the past I've clicked around here and there and got a few things to work. I've tried so many things that I honestly don't remember how I got the additional domains working in the account. Yes, it's an ignorant way to go about it, but it was the only option I had at the time.

Can anyone educate me on some of the stuff listed below?

Parked Domains -
    Addon Domains -
    Subdomains -
    MIME Types -
    Network Tools
    Cron jobs -
    Manage Open PGP Keys -
    CGI Center -
    Scripts Library -

There's a lot more, but I don't want to overload in one post so I'll stop here.

I have searched and searched to learn how to use this stuff. (done the cpanel demos, etc.) No luck so far. They don't explain it in language I can understand. All the demos and information I've found on cpanel assume the reader knows basic computer language. For example: when I click on web ftp stats, it takes me to a page with links to "analog" "Awstats" "Webalizer" etc. I don't know what analog, awstats, webalizer are... where can I learn these things? (I need a course in "tech talk")

It's frustrating to have all this stuff and not know what it's for and how to use it.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

I'll give a few a try - others may override me at any time and I won't feel hurt - especially if they correct my mistakes

Addon Domains: You will have one main domain like www.mine1.com; if your hosting allows it, you may also add on some other domains (sort of many for the price of one) - so you might also have as addon domains www.mine2.com and www.his.com and www.hers.net...

SubDomains - a file construction that allows you to specify some order to your domain pages without having to buy a bunch of separate domains - you can tell folks to go to www.mydomain.com/directory1/file.htm and www.hisdomain.com... or you can setup subdomains like directory1.mydomain.com and hisdomain.mydomain.com and only need to buy one domain - mydomain.com - I find it too confusing to bother with - I like to have separate domains to direct folks to and most people understand www.mydomain.com.

Cronjob is a program running on a Unix or Linux server that is a fancy timer - with it you can automate some tasks you want to happen on your server - like say automatically purge some old files once a week. Cronjob allows you to pick when and how often the computer runs a particular job - say once a week on Tuesday or daily or every 10 minutes (to really make the system administrators mad). You get the specific 'jobs' you want to run (if lucky) from the 'scripts library' or by asking here and copying the suggestions. Not an option I'd start with.

Charles

Sounds like you're looking at Cpanel. To add to the above, Parked domains are simply additional domains that you own that hard redirect to the main domain. So if Haiko owned a domain called Asecondbestweb, he could park it here, so anyone typing asecondbestweb into the browser bar would end up at this site you're looking at now.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Sounds like you're looking at Cpanel. To add to the above, Parked domains are simply additional domains that you own that hard redirect to the main domain. So if Haiko owned a domain called Asecondbestweb, he could park it here, so anyone typing asecondbestweb into the browser bar would end up at this site you're looking at now.
    but with my main hosting co. I can also tell them in the control panel that my parked (extra) domain can go to /www/sites/mynewsite_com and mynewsite.com resolves there. they will allow me to have quite a few "parked" domains, ostensibly being held prior to development, but they want me to buy into another server and move them over if I'm going to make them larger and also make them really busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    Can anyone educate me on some of the stuff listed below?

CGI Center -
    You can create forms with CGI (Common Gateway Interface) so that you can have interaction with your visitors. If your host has a script center/CGI library that means pre-made scripts are available for your use.

Read this tutorial to learn more:
    http://www.comptechdoc.org/independe...cgi/cgimanual/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks everyone for taking time to help educate me. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by micheck
    Addon Domains: You will have one main domain like www.mine1.com; if your hosting allows it, you may also add on some other domains (sort of many for the price of one) - so you might also have as addon domains www.mine2.com and www.his.com and www.hers.net...
    That sounds the same as a parked domain. Are they the same, just different methods of parking them?

SubDomains - a file construction that allows you to specify some order to your domain pages without having to buy a bunch of separate domains - you can tell folks to go to www.mydomain.com/directory1/file.htm and www.hisdomain.com... or you can setup subdomains like directory1.mydomain.com and hisdomain.mydomain.com and only need to buy one domain - mydomain.com - I find it too confusing to bother with - I like to have separate domains to direct folks to and most people understand www.mydomain.com.
    Ok, these are what I'm using now. I have tons of "sites" that are named www.mydomain.com/pets/birds.shtml and www.mydomain.com/pets/dogs.shtml etc. I have that second part figured out. I didn't know they were called "subdomains". I haven't figured out the first part where it is www.xxxxxxx.mydomain.com. I don't think I'd use something like that, it's kind of confusing.

Cronjob is a program running on a Unix or Linux server that is a fancy timer - with it you can automate some tasks you want to happen on your server - like say automatically purge some old files once a week. Cronjob allows you to pick when and how often the computer runs a particular job - say once a week on Tuesday or daily or every 10 minutes (to really make the system administrators mad). You get the specific 'jobs' you want to run (if lucky) from the 'scripts library' or by asking here and copying the suggestions. Not an option I'd start with.
    Cronjob sounds great! I was warned not to mess around in there cause I could accidently delete stuff that can't be replaced. I didn't want to destroy my entire site so I've never clicked on that icon. Now I know why they warned me...

Could it be used to update datefeeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Yes, it's Cpanel. I own several domain names that I have parked on the host account. I forgot how I parked them as it's been a long time since I put them there.

I was told that when I park a domain it will go to the parked domain as if it had it's own hosting. But... all pages of the parked domain will not show in the address bar. Example: www.parkeddomain.com/direct.html will show up as simply www.parkeddomain.com without the rest of the address.

I've also been told that if someone saves www.parkeddomain.com/pets.html it will save as www.parkeddomain.com and only save the index page, not the deeper links.

I've messed around with 1 parked domain and can't get it to work right. It always goes to www.mydomain.com intead of www.parkeddomain.com. If I understand correctly, it should go to www.parkeddomain.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    but with my main hosting co. I can also tell them in the control panel that my parked (extra) domain can go to /www/sites/mynewsite_com and mynewsite.com resolves there. they will allow me to have quite a few "parked" domains, ostensibly being held prior to development, but they want me to buy into another server and move them over if I'm going to make them larger and also make them really busy.
    That sounds like what I have. They will let me park unlimited domains and when I build a site it's suppose to be like having another separate site hosted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    You can create forms with CGI (Common Gateway Interface) so that you can have interaction with your visitors. If your host has a script center/CGI library that means pre-made scripts are available for your use.
    Thanks for the tutorial addy. I looked at it and I'm finding the same problem as before. They use language I don't understand, like this, "The following code, written in perl can be used on the server side ". I don't understand that. What's a server side? Where do I put the code they provided? Those are the questions I have about many things. Like I said above, I need to learn to "talk tech". Is there somewhere that teachs what all that stuff means?
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

If you use the pre-made CGI scripts you don't need to worry about the techie lingo.

CGI creates interactive forms. You probably have a script library, check it out.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Don't mess with that MIME type stuff until you know what you're doing... :-)

It'll change the way your server handles pages in your site. You can, for example, make pages that end in html (normally static pages) render / parse php code (normally only pages with .php extension will parse / run the code). There's a lot of power in being able to alter the MIME types and many host companies don't allow them to be altered.

Yeah, I did oversimplify it a little...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    www.netlingo.com has quite a few definitions I brushed up on a while back.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Don't mess with that MIME type stuff until you know what you're doing... :-)
    It'll change the way your server handles pages in your site. You can, for example, make pages that end in html (normally static pages) render / parse php code (normally only pages with .php extension will parse / run the code). There's a lot of power in being able to alter the MIME types and many host companies don't allow them to be altered.
    Total confusion going on now... I talked to my tech support guy today. He told me MIME is very simple. He said it adds extentions that the browser doesn't have recognition for. Example: if I uploaded a jpg image and my site didn't know jpg, then I would go into MIME and add jpg so the site would understand what it is and publish it properly.

Is my tech support guy daydreaming?

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    www.netlingo.com has quite a few definitions I brushed up on a while back.
    Thanks for the link. I've already learned a few terms that are new to me. I saved that site to my favorites so I can surf over and check out terms often. I just found out that I'm using side server includes and didn't know it. I've been calling them my "time saver short cuts".

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Total confusion going on now... I talked to my tech support guy today. He told me MIME is very simple. He said it adds extentions that the browser doesn't have recognition for. Example: if I uploaded a jpg image and my site didn't know jpg, then I would go into MIME and add jpg so the site would understand what it is and publish it properly.

Is my tech support guy daydreaming?
    Nope, I'd say he's confident and competent. In the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, it is very simple. In the hands of an amateur, it's like messing with htaccess - can bring down your whole site and require phone calls and backups (hope you have these saved regularly someplace other than your host/server). And there's lots of little caveats to know before hand, both about how it changes the way your server handles files/pages and also about how your site is built and put together and how it'll change if you alter anything. The jpg (.jpg) example is a trivial case, but start telling your server to render webpages (.htm, .html, .php, .asp, etc) themselves differently and it's a whole 'nother story.

Thanks Donuts

Cronjob sounds great! I was warned not to mess around in there cause I could accidently delete stuff that can't be replaced. I didn't want to destroy my entire site so I've never clicked on that icon. Now I know why they warned me...

Could it be used to update datefeeds?
    Of course! This is how you automate datafeed updates. I use it to update all of my feeds and it's a nightly routine for my server. Automation is wonderful!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread