Once again, I can't figure out how CJ arrived at the amount they paid me this month. Again, I feel as though they paid me too much.

I run 3 programs: eBay.com, eBay.ca, and eBay.co.uk. eBay.com is the only one that holds back transactions. In my July check I should have been paid for:

eBay.co.uk & eBay.ca June leads ($37.60)
    eBay.com June sales (nickels) ($7.55)
    eBay.com May leads ($60)
    Total: $105.15

Plus, since I didn't make enough to get a June check (due to the erroneous overpaying of April leads in May), I should also be paid:

eBay.co.uk & eBay.ca May leads ($24.34)
    eBay.com May sales (nickels) ($8.20)
    minus eBay.com April reversals (-$25)
    Total: $7.54

The grand total should be $112.69.

I was paid $127.69. That's an extra $15.

The last check I got was over by $7.40.

Am I adding something wrong? Or is CJ just that bad at accounting?

Ralph

Don't complain. I've never gotten the amount from ebay that I thought I should have.

ABW Ambassador
    Very commendable Ralph. Must be cuz your from Massachusetts [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Donate it and forget it.

I know it can be confusing. I've set up an elaborate spreadsheet just to keep track of it. They really through a wrench in my calculations this month when they actually locked some of the ebay leads.

Basically, I calculate like this:

JULY CHECK = JUNE SALES - JUNE EXTENDED + MAY EXTENDED - MAY EXTENDEDS THAT WERE REVERSED.

Sometimes mine haven't added up, but when I run an individual report on each merchant, I'm usually able to figure out where the error is.

If you go to the page that describes the merchant, and run a report from that page for a month you are questioning, it will only give you the data for that merchant. However, if you run the report again from the report, it gives you all the merchants. So, in order to run the report for the same merchant for a different month, I hit the BACK button first.

Ralph,

quote:
    I feel as though they paid me too much.

Did you add the earnings you may have made with 2-tier affliates?

Karl

OK, I think I'm figuring things out.

In June, I had 9 $5 eBay.com sales. 3 of them are listed as locked, 3 as extended, and 3 as reversed.

I suspect that eBay isn't holding back the transactions that are verified instantly (showing as locked); they are holding back the transactions that still have the 30-day clock ticking. So they paid me for June transactions in my July check (those which were accepted immediately), and are holding back on the ones which have until potentially August 30th to be verified.

This doesn't bode too well though; if out of 9 transactions, only 3 have been accepted so far, that's a 66% reversal rate. I believe that to be completely incorrect, and I suspect errors on the part of eBay and CJ; after all, I ask the same question, why would someone sign up for eBay and then not bid, when bidding is the only advantage you get from signing up?

For a 67% reversal rate, I pull their code from my site. Others should as well. Especially since their reversal rate seems to be growing each month -- which statistically should only happen if they're actively finding more and more reasons to reject leads.

Ralph

quote:
    For a 67% reversal rate, I pull their code from my site. Others should as well.

Ralph,

If others are seeing a high reveral rate, that might be good advice. In May I had 22 eBay leads and 5 were reversed (23% reversal rate. However, in June I had 30 eBay leads, and only 4 were reversed (13% reversal rate). So, my reversal rate has improved, as well as my sales.

There is no accounting for what people will do. I agree that it seems odd that anyone would sign up for eBay and not make a bid, but people do strange things.

My eBay leads have been steadily growing each month. So far this month I've had 32 leads. I see no reason to pull their code when they are providing me with income.

The secret with eBay is to use them to promote items that people are looking for, that nobody makes any more. When the only choice is to find something at eBay, leads will follow.

Tracy

Although I'm not promoting exact specific items, my link is very targetted. I have a search engine so that you can look up hockey player's trading cards (it's the only one that exists on the internet). When the results are displayed, a box comes up telling people that they can probably find these cards on eBay.

For example:
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/cards/c....php3?pid=4052

Now my link says "Click here if you live in the United States and want to learn how to sign up (it's free!).", but the link brings the users to the front page; registering isn't the #1 thing I'd do if I went to eBay's front page for the first time. I'd browse around, and if I wanted to bid on something I'd then register. That's what I did when I joined eBay several years ago.

I wonder if the "Buy it now" feature invalidates the lead. After all, the program rules say "A registration is considered active when the user places a bid on eBay within 30 days of their initial registration." Perhaps a "buy it now" isn't considered a bid, either by design or by mistake. I hear that a growing percentage of
    eBay's users/auctions are using the buy it now feature.

Now I've only had 33% of my June leads reversed so far, but I have another 33% extended, and I would venture to say that if someone hasn't bid within 7 days, they're not going to bid. So it's looking like 67% reversal rate for me. Why would this be so?

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Yep, I think you're shooting yourself in the foot. You're giving them too many options. Give them one option: the direct link to the trading card section. Then, they will start browsing trading cards to find one(s) they want to buy. If they're already a member, you make the nickle. If they're not, they'll figure out how to sign up to make a bid. If they want to bid on the card bad enough, they'll do it.

I'd also have the link on more than just the first page that lists the players. I would put a link to ebay on each page of the sets as well. For instance, 1984-85 O-Pee-Chee, lists all the cards in the set. Where's the eBay link to go shopping for the set, or cards in the set?

Tracy

P.S. Wow! Great work on all those stats and information.

OK, I think I've now figured out how CJ does its math. It would appear that in the August check, I was paid:

1) July sales ($0.05).

2) July leads that appear as "locked".

3) June leads that were "locked" between the last check and this check.

Of course, this makes their math impossible to audit, because we don't know when a transaction was locked. If a June lead was locked on July 1, I would get it in the July check. If it was locked on July 20th, I would get it in the August check.

Last month, I said I received $15 too much. That was due to the 3 "locked" transactions from June at the time. This month, I was only paid for 1 June transaction (only 4 of my June leads were qualified, 5 were unqualified), and I was paid for 1 out of 7 July leads (the rest are extended).

I still strongly believe that there is something that eBay is doing to disqualify leads that is not in the program description. I'm getting way too many reversals, and I'm targetting the program very nicely.

Ralph

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: Ralph Slate ]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread