Challenge/Response E-mail System
    Hey guys and gals -

Anyone know anything about challenge/response e-mail systems like earthlink has? I've got a basic hosting package though midphase and would like to install a challenge/response e-mail system to cut down on the spam... Thanks,

Lee

ABW Ambassador
    You must not want to get legitimate email, either. The challenge/response email system is just plain crazy in my view. Why on earth make it more difficult for your sites visitors to contact you? And the challenge/response email system makes it VERY difficult for people to contact you.

If you are being plagued by spam, consider cloaking your email address in javascript. It works marvelously. And when, inevitably, spam finds this address - simply delete the alias and start a new address. Following this simple system for the past three years I've had virtually no spam whatsoever - just be sure to NEVER use popular email addresses that begin with like "contact" or "webmaster" - otherwise you're setting yourself up to receive lots of spam as the spammers take shots in the dark.

Lastly, never use your "main" email address anywhere. Instead, use an alias and have it forwarded. This way, when the alias becomes spammed out (which may take a year or more if you cloak your email address), its a simple thing to cut off spam at the pass by simply changing the alias.

Jim

I've been a big fan of Javascript cloaked email addresses, but I'm starting to see more and more spam to them. I think some of the harvesting bots are getting smarter.

I strongly disapprove of challenge/response systems. Spammers forge "From" addresses, and those challenge/response systems end up sending their challenge to the forged email addresses. I get several of these every day, and they're not much better than spam. In fact, many spam filters classify them as spam. Sometimes, when I email people who use challenge/response systems, I don't find the "challenge" email until I dig through my spam folder, usually several days later.

What I've considered doing lately is to use a Captcha challenge to let people access my Contact page. There's a simple Captcha REST API that can be used.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the great suggestions.

-Lee

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread