Alternative to distributing free articles
    I have a problem. I distribute on occasion free articles in a bid to get free traffic and links in. I've tried to make sure that the articles are worth re-publishing.

I just went back to check who has published my old articles and just two of my articles have been published over 1300 times according to google. Which is great. The only problem being that the majority of these sites who re-publish my articles have not put a live link to my site.

I'm not going to email them all. Does anyone else have this problem.

Is there an alternative to this kind of marketing.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyM
    I have a problem. I distribute on occasion free articles in a bid to get free traffic and links in. I've tried to make sure that the articles are worth re-publishing.

I just went back to check who has published my old articles and just two of my articles have been published over 1300 times according to google. Which is great. The only problem being that the majority of these sites who re-publish my articles have not put a live link to my site.

I'm not going to email them all. Does anyone else have this problem.

Is there an alternative to this kind of marketing.
    Yes I have the same issue with non-live links. If you run your articles through an article site, you can specify that reprint is OK as long as your links are live but sometimes it doesn't help. Drives me crazy. I started to email all the sites that hadn't hot linked my URL but it became stupid after 50 or more. You could write a generic email template and just copy/paste it when you find an offender but it still takes a lot of time. Consider it branding and publicity if their not firing up the links.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    Link Remover software could be doing this
    Article optimization is a hot topic to get a ton of links. This is what it should be doing since its the next big free pr craze. Kind of like how press releases used to get a ton of traffic. Now that buzz has died down in the last year. Unless your press release ranks high for some of its keywords. But the true traffic to a press release is getting difiicult for an affiliate to stand out.

I've heard of some kind of software that has been stripping links out of articles when it post to these article directory sites. Its a real Issue. I'd suggest to write a section about using your article.

Good luck

Brian
    Last edited by MichaelColey; February 22nd, 2006 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Removed Manual Signature

what about containing the articles in javascript or flash? It might minimize your distribution. Yet also may improve relationships and the integrity of your work.

Don't know the technical. It's another layer though:-)
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

Thanks Danny,

I think I've decided to promote syndication of my RSS feed as a way of getting more traffic. Although I understand it can be done, there is less opportunity for other webmasters to either accidentally or purposely remove links to my site, which I am entitled to since they are trying to make a profit off my content.

Thanks for your thoughts

RSS isn't a failsafe, but it IS a lot safer... I have a client who runs a real estae site, and he's scared to death of RSS because of the huge volume of scraping in that field... Point being, RSS can be manipulated, but it beats having other webmasters screw up adding your link on accident, which we would like to assume most do.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I've heard of some kind of software that has been stripping links out of articles when it post to these article directory sites. Its a real Issue. I'd suggest to write a section about using your article.
    I stopped doing the free article site thing about a month ago myself. I have this software and seen it first hand, It is really cool if you use it the way it was meant to be used. I can see the resource box link being taken out on purpose.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Yes, I can see that.

It's not full proof, but then I guess nothing is really.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I stopped doing the free article site thing about a month ago myself. I have this software and seen it first hand, It is really cool if you use it the way it was meant to be used. I can see the resource box link being taken out on purpose.
    Greetings, Nyfalcon. I, too, have had problems with people delinking my articles. My question to you (and anyone else who cares to address this) is how DO you promote your site(s) if not with articles? I'm not real keen on pay per click, but then I've not had great success with it either.
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

That's the thing isn't it.

I can see it is a lot harder to get webmasters to place your feed on their site, and it won't provide an increase in PR to your actual site, but it will provide the traffic, which is what really matters.

I have already had some limited success with the RSS feed, I find that when I update the feed, visitors are returning to read the article.

Thinking about it again, though, providing a combination of both the RSS syndication and free articles may still be the way to go, and just cut my losses with those who "forget" to put a live link.

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    Jenny,

good point. yes the seo link building game is nice. but its about quality traffic to your conversion funnel. With your press and articles your attracting the right audience that will want to take it to the next level in your CALL TO ACTION conversion copy.

Plus your providing a niche of targeted " site stickyness" to your site. Which some affiliates don't take the time to keep the site fresh with rich content.

keep on writing

brian
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread