Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog recommendation needed :)
    I'm planning on starting a blog very soon to supplement my site. My host offers auto install of the following blogs and I was wondering if anyone has a favorite? Thanks!
    Mel

b2evolution
    Nucleus
    pMachine Free
    WordPress

ABW Ambassador
    Wordpress
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

2nd on WordPress
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Wordpress hands down, especially since Version 2 came out.

WordPress here as well.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

WordPress has my vote

Bridgett

What they all said, WordPress.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    I'm currently taking a class that uses wordpress. The instructor advised us to continue using version 1.5.2 as version 2.0 has "issues". Reports are that "there are numerous bug complaints and it has been known to put a serious draw on servers"

I just looked and see they now have version 2.0.1 available. Does anyone know if they got all the bugs fixed?
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Another vote for WordPress.

textpattern is alot more flexiable.

Thank you all! The only time I ever attempted to blog before was using WordPress, but was not sure if there was anthing "new and improved" out there! I learn a lot on this board and wanted everyones opinion. I have installed it and I'm ready to go! Thanks again!

Mel

Enjoy! There are other options, and I guess it's important to note that the term "blog" is pretty broad these days. Most CMS's have "blogging" capabilities, such as Drupal or Joomla/Mambo.

But for a blog in it's purest sense, Wordpress it is. I'm not familiar with Textpatterns at all...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Drupal beats Wordpress in my opinion
    I've started using Drupal exclusively for all my new sites, and converted all but two of my existing sites to use it. Mainly I like that it's php-based, is easy to configure and add features like blogs, forums, and ad blocks with a few clicks and no html required. And of course the price is hard to beat (free).

Is anyone else using Drupal for their sites?

One thing that made Wordpress a no-go for me was that if I ever went in to edit a post, it would screw up all my embedded affiliate links. Absolutely unacceptable. Maybe they've fixed this by now, but as of last month it was still doing this.

Definitely Wordpress. SixApart's Typepad isn't bad (if you want something a bit simpler).

Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    One thing that made Wordpress a no-go for me was that if I ever went in to edit a post, it would screw up all my embedded affiliate links. Absolutely unacceptable. Maybe they've fixed this by now, but as of last month it was still doing this.
    How's it screw it up? I haven't had that happen at all...

http and a telephoto
    Nope editing posts hasn't screwed up anything in my Wordpress installs either...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Prefaces each affiliate url with website url
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    How's it screw it up? I haven't had that happen at all...
    It adds my website url as part of my affiliate url, so that the links do not work. This is with the default settings... and I found tons of posts on Google from others who had the same problem, but no solutions.

Try a google search on wordpress breaks links, and you'll see what I mean...

Btw, you wouldn't notice it unless you actually clicked the link after you edited it (I didn't notice for quite some time and that probably explained why I made zip from that particular blog).

Wonder what's different about your installation compared to mine (just tried editing a post without replicating the problem). The only thing I can think of is that my current host (Bluehost) installs it as a default feature.

And if it's doing that, it has to be doing it with all links within the post, not with affiliate links alone, right (how can it define one from the other)?

If you have a link to more info (I tried the google search) I'd like to read more about it...

I will add another vote for WordPress. It's great.

Yeh Wordpress! Have to say it's really easy to use and seems like anyone could use it!

WordPress is definitely popular, although not as full featured as Drupal.

However, based on the responses in this thread, I reworked my blog installation tutorial on blogbelt.com to be less Drupal-specific and give equal emphasis to WordPress. So thanks for that nudge

I actually still have a site that uses WordPress (http://www.prosoftapps.com/blogs) - I just hate to update it for the reasons mentioned above, although now I'm motivated to take another look at it and see if upgrading the version might fix the link problem. At the time WordPress was the most popular blogging tool and still is for that matter. But for me, it wasn't about popularity, it was about functionality, and I get more functionality out of Drupal.

WordPress is definitely popular, although not as full featured as Drupal.
    Apples and oranges here... Are you saying that Drupal is a better blogging system, or that it simply has more features in general?

Although the distinction is not as great as it once was, WordPress is primarily blogging software, while Drupal is a fully featured CMS.

Yes, I think Drupal is as good a blogger or better than WordPress
    From what I have seen, Drupal had all the blogging features that WordPress had, along with all the other CMS features (forums, portlet-like plugins for all kinds of customizable blocks that you can insert in the left or right columns next to your blog posts, etc, etc, etc).

Hmm... sounds like I need to post a feature comparison between the two on my blogbelt site, like I did with web host providers.

wordpress

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast