Performics Datafeeds
    How does one get set-up to access performics datafeeds? I'm new to the network and don't see anything in the interface that even mentions datafeeds. Some good merchants in here but need the data to get things rolling.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by bestdeals
    How does one get set-up to access performics datafeeds? I'm new to the network and don't see anything in the interface that even mentions datafeeds. Some good merchants in here but need the data to get things rolling.
    this has been touched on briefly once or twice in the past, but not lately. I think you may get instructed to set up an incoming FTP spot and might only get several feeds to start.

It would be very nice if someone from Performics would give us the definitive answer in this forum.

you need to send them an email to gain access to datafeeds. When i set mine up i had to set up a ftp location for them on my server and to start they limit you to only a few feeds now from what I hear.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

I just got set up with my first Performics feed. I contacted the Affiliate Manager. She wanted an FTP location to send the feed, but also gave me the option of receiving it by e-mail.

Personally, I would prefer an FTP location on their server where I could retrieve it as needed, but as long as you have a broadband connection, e-mail works well. I'm skittish about giving anyone access to my server.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    I just got set up with my first Performics feed. I contacted the Affiliate Manager. She wanted an FTP location to send the feed, but also gave me the option of receiving it by e-mail.

Personally, I would prefer an FTP location on their server where I could retrieve it as needed, but as long as you have a broadband connection, e-mail works well. I'm skittish about giving anyone access to my server.
    I agree, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving anyone access to my FTP server either.

One question: why do datafeeds need a broadband connection?
    I thought the merchant was just supplying the affiliate with codes for the feed?
    What does the merchant give you that would mess up the connection?

I am on dial-up still and most likely will remain so
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

the ftp area you set up, if set up properly doesn't allow them to access any other part of your server - so what's the issue?
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

A lot of data feeds are huge. If the data feed is 50 meg in size, you need a broadband connection or you will be waiting a long time for the download. If you are downloading a feed directly to your server and not going through your PC and dial-up connection, you can bypass this problem

Giving someone access to your server is never 100% secure. Even a Web site is not 100% secure. I prefer having access to the merchant's server so that I can automate the download whenever possible, and do it on my schedule. A merchant who wants FTP access to your server is doing the same thing to avoid giving someone access to their server.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

>>>I just got set up with my first Performics feed. I contacted the Affiliate Manager.<<<

The merchant's AM or someone from Performics?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Getting Data Feeds From Performics
    There will be tools added to the interface to make this easier later in the year, but in the mean time a list of merchants that offer data feeds is attached to this post. To request a data feed for a merchant on the list please send an email to info@performics.com. We do not restrict the number of feeds you may receive but do request that you start with a handful of feeds (I'd recommend starting with your most desired merchants). We have had many instances in the past where an affiliate would sign up for all of our data feeds and wind up using none or only a few of them. As long as you use the data we send you and keep it up to date we have no problem sending you data feeds for all of your merchants that have a feed available. You will need to accept the file either through an FTP server or via email (let me know if you'd like a Gmail invite, free storage).

While the resources to publish feeds (storage and bandwidth) are relatively low cost, they are not free. We currently push all feeds instead of allow affiliates to pull them because an unknowing (or malevolent) affiliate could eat up a lot of bandwidth by pulling the same very large feed over and over. In order to keep our bandwidth usage predictable we need to control the publishing schedule. We are looking into some methods to permit an affiliate a single download per day, per feed, but for the time being this is how it works. I welcome suggestions for how you'd like to receive the feeds. For instance, if we permit downloading from our servers I was thinking that we would compress the files (zip or gzip), would this pose a problem for anyone?

Hope this helps,
    Larry Adams
    Affiliate Product Manager
    Attached Files Attached Files

Compressing the files would work just fine for me. I would prefer being able to do the downloads on my schedule.

Larry,

We talked briefly at the Conference in Vegas and I still think you should start creating affiliate FTP accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by l_adams
    While the resources to publish feeds (storage and bandwidth) are relatively low cost, they are not free. We currently push all feeds instead of allow affiliates to pull them because an unknowing (or malevolent) affiliate could eat up a lot of bandwidth by pulling the same very large feed over and over. In order to keep our bandwidth usage predictable we need to control the publishing schedule.
    You can always set a goal for your affiliates. Maybe when they do X dollars in sales they can request an affiliate FTP account. Some networks don't even do that - they just charge affiliates for the FTP access. With unique accounts for each affiliate you can control each user's quota and see clearly who's downloading too much. Ideally you could create an interface for generating affiliate FTP accounts based on an application form that starts from the affiliate. What would be even nicer would be an affiliate interface for selecting what datafeeds we'd like to use. My point is you always have full control over your servers and bandwidth usage.

We are looking into some methods to permit an affiliate a single download per day, per feed, but for the time being this is how it works. I welcome suggestions for how you'd like to receive the feeds.
    This isn't a good idea. What if my server crashes during the download? Will I need to wait 24 hours to retrieve it? This would be a very unconventional solution and I'm willing to bet your system administrators and programmers would agree with me.

For instance, if we permit downloading from our servers I was thinking that we would compress the files (zip or gzip), would this pose a problem for anyone?
    Absolutely compress the files. It'll save you space and reduce the download times for your affiliates. I know of two prominent affiliate networks that do it the same way. You can also send out email notifications indicating when each new datafeed is available. I receive daily emails from CJ telling me it's time to retrieve my data.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Larry,

We talked briefly at the Conference in Vegas and I still think you should start creating affiliate FTP accounts.

You can always set a goal for your affiliates. Maybe when they do X dollars in sales they can request an affiliate FTP account. Some networks don't even do that - they just charge affiliates for the FTP access. With unique accounts for each affiliate you can control each user's quota and see clearly who's downloading too much. Ideally you could create an interface for generating affiliate FTP accounts based on an application form that starts from the affiliate. What would be even nicer would be an affiliate interface for selecting what datafeeds we'd like to use. My point is you always have full control over your servers and bandwidth usage.
    Hi Snib, I remember in fact I was looking at your site yesterday. Thanks for the reply. I would love to create FTP accounts for everyone, but there is a lot of institutional resistance to the idea. But I'll keep pushing in this direction as its probably the best long term solution.

This isn't a good idea. What if my server crashes during the download? Will I need to wait 24 hours to retrieve it? This would be a very unconventional solution and I'm willing to bet your system administrators and programmers would agree with me.
    Good point, but I think there are ways around this, especially if we use a stateful connection for the transfer or set bandwidth limitations per ip address. We could allocate enough bandwidth to ensure you could recover a file in case of a crash. Out of curiousity, how frequently do you have interruptions during downloads (server crash or otherwise)?

Absolutely compress the files. It'll save you space and reduce the download times for your affiliates. I know of two prominent affiliate networks that do it the same way. You can also send out email notifications indicating when each new datafeed is available. I receive daily emails from CJ telling me it's time to retrieve my data.

- Scott
    You can opt to receive your feeds compressed right now. If you'd like to change your settings, let us know.

I like the notification idea, although I may opt to publish that info an RSS instead of an email. Would that work?

Thanks again for the feedback.

-larry

Out of curiousity, how frequently do you have interruptions during downloads (server crash or otherwise)?
    I rarely have that problem, but it's just a what-if case. If you can make this transparent to your affiliates that would be ideal, but I really don't see it being necessary.

I like the notification idea, although I may opt to publish that info an RSS instead of an email. Would that work?
    RSS is good and I may use that instead of email, but I'm sure a great deal of your affiliates aren't even familiar with RSS or use an RSS reader. It's always best to offer both methods. You can make email notification optional to free up your email resources.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Larry:

Thank you for the attached file. May I suggest that if you ever re-do it you include a column showing the number of products in each feed?

Larry, your present configuration works for me. I hope that if Performics makes changes in the future, that you will continue to push the files (in addition to other solutions).

I also didn't know you would email the files, that's good to know, and I can pass that option along to my clients.

Lastly, thank you for taking the time to post here (and the merchant file) - most appreciated.

Fred

Affiliate Network Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    Larry:

Thank you for the attached file. May I suggest that if you ever re-do it you include a column showing the number of products in each feed?
    No problem. I'll try to pull this data over the weekend and post it next week.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It definitely helps us in our decision making process. Keep the suggestions coming.

-larry

OK!

I have joined up to Performics just so that I can join the merchants that allow datafeeds. I have only now realised, which merchants offer datafeeds through the file from this thread.

I would say that Performics can make much more money if they actually had a proper on site datafeed system in place.

I have been doing affiliate marketing for over 4 years and I know that it is definately much easier to make money from using datafeeds to what it would be from putting one or two links on your site.

I also know that many affiliates will not bother emailing for datafeeds and things. If they don't see it offered or if it is hard to get then they will go to the next network that has a much better system in place.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING:

I know which merchants have datafeeds now and I have joined each merchant, but I only include merchants datafeeds on my site that has over 200 products, have a good lucking site, look professional and also pay a good commission.

Now how can I quickly find out how many products each merchant has in their datafeeds before applying for the datafeeds.

I don't want to waste my time and apply for datafeeds where the merchant only has a few products.

I prefer to know how many products they have before looking at their site and coming to a decission whether to add them to my datafeed crawling software or not.

So how can I quickly find out how many products in each merchants datafeed.

Thanks, I seriously wish there was a better system in place like ShareASale has as your system looks very poor when it comes to offering datafeeds.
    [url=www.gamesdash.com]Games Dash[/url] - listing many free online games that you can play.

ABW Ambassador
    john9245, I know what your saying and agree totally that the current system doesn't work well and I haven't even bothered to get hold of the datafeeds but it's the same on Linkshare as they also make it difficult to get them. It is better than CJ though who don't even want to know you unless you pay them $200 or make 10K in a month even just to get a general promotion feed (very greedy & selfish outlook on affiliates by CJ, they can at least give us the promotions for free). I wouldn't mind checking out some Perfomics datafeeds and might in the New year but I have enough on my hands right now.. I also prefer just to get them from sas as there are many there and its an easy process to view them and see if they are going to work with your site etc before committing to subscribing and setting up fttp access and all these dramas...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread