AdSense Question
    I added the adsense script to my page before it was finished. When displayed it just read the CSS stuff and the javascript because I hadn't put the content in yet. But now that the content is there the adsense ads haven't changed and are now totally way off the subject of the web page. How do you get Google to reread the content? I thought it did everytime the page was displayed.

ABW Ambassador
    how long has the content been there?
    Google will update it itself normally.
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

It can take a little bit for them to catch up. but they will...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Is the page published yet? It will be more accurate once its published (and may take a day or two at worst).
    Renιe
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Thanks for the response everyone. The site has been published since Sunday (2/12) and it has the same adsense ads as when it was first constructed without the content it has now. I've tried deleting it and adding a different size ad but it still uses the same ads/topic.

I'll give it a few days and see what happens. In my other sites, especially the hunting/fishing site, the ads seem to update as soon as a new article is added and it reflects the content of the article.

Maybe Google is too busy taking over the world to worry about my little site.

ABW Ambassador
    just give it some time and it will get updated soon.
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    you might also like to check adsense's section targeting.
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Hi,

It also depend on how optimized your content is. Are you targeting a specific keyword in you page?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i've experienced this same thing, it will fix itself, but the time depends on how much traffic you have - the less traffic, the longer it takes.

just in case, make sure you checks your robots.txt file to make sure you're not blocking the adsense crawler.

For just the reason that you're experiencing, I avoid putting any live AdSense code on a "preliminary" version of a page or site.

Once AdSense thinks it knows what your page or site is about it'll take awhile to correct itself.

I've had it take as long as a couple of weeks, but it *will* get right eventually.
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Be sure that the content does not contain red flag words also. Foul language or words relating to drugs (even 'pharmasy' in combination with other words can do it) will get you a public announcement instead of a regular ad.

If the ads are just off topic, then try to make your content more keyword specific and give google a day or two before worrying about it.

Do you need a separate Adsense code for each page within your website or for multiple blogs?

What if part of your site (4 web pages and a blog) is all about the brightest day but you also dedicate (lets say 4 and a blog) pages to the theme of night?

Within one domain there are two distinctly different themes going through the site -- how does Adsense adjust?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You use the same AdSense code on all your pages (assuming you're not using multiple AdSense "Channels" to track where the best results come from within one site), and AdSense adjusts the ads to match their surroundings.

If a page on my site is about a specific product they generally do a good job of finding ads that relate quite well to that product, then do the same for the next page and its often very different product.

I'm no expert, but from what I've seen AdSense seems to base their ads primarily on the page's visible content, and the page title.

If that fails they may use the contents of your page's meta-tags, if any.

If that doesn't come up with any ads I suspect they go by the general theme of your entire site.
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Thanks for your answer, Mike O, that's helpful

Speaking of meta-tags, one of my newer sites was built quickly from an earlier one and Google used the earlier meta description for my new site listing in Google.

I saw the listing and thought that description doesn't follow the new site. I changed it {i.e the meta for the new site} but Google held on to the previous description
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I have found that sometimes if you are using templates to built a site, Adsense picks up keywords from the template file which does not contain much info - and serves up ads not relevant to site. Some of my dreamweaver templated site have ads of Software.

Based on my experience...

Google takes time to update the ads on your site when the content changes. Until your site is crawled again by Adsense the ads that show will be based on the old content that was there the last time the site was crawled by the server. I dont know how often google adsense recrawls pages but my best estimate is about every 3 days.

For new pages on your site Adsense basses your ads on other pages on your site that have already been crawled until the new page gets crawled by the server. If you change the name of an individual webpage and/or if you add a new page to your site it will get crawled usually within about 5 minutes after the page in question is viewed by a visitor for the first time.

I get similar behaviour on one of my sites, where it takes some time for the Ads to settle. I think each site has a "default" set of keywords that Google creates - so if you have a site with varied content, you can sometimes start off with the wrong ones.

However, I put a page up last night and found that Google was serving extremely well-targetted ads within a couple of minutes. That's quite a high traffic site, so I suspect that you might get more relevant ads more quickly in those circumstances.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

for my sites google sends a special adsense crawler almost every time the page is seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ΤΏΤ¬
    for my sites google sends a special adsense crawler almost every time the page is seen.
    Google must think you are the tops
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread