Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Scammers TRYIN' to Sneak in as Affiliates
    Recently, we've caught several scammers trying to gain access into the Affiliate side of our network using false credentials. Specifically, these scammers are applying to AvantLink using quality sites that do not belong to them.

We discovered this when we received an application from a high-profile Affiliate site that was already in the network.

Now, with all high-quality sites coming through our application queue, we are verifying email and phone number through the submitted application and we're looking up the domain registration records to compare what is on WHOIS and what was submitted.

PLUS..

We are contacting the 'real' site admins through their site! This is because some of these scammers are going to WHOIS and getting the admin contact, than using that info in their application to us, making it appear more legitimate. We are taking every step to insure the legitimacy of our Affiliate applications.

We're not sure of the agenda here, but most likely they are looking for ways to collect commissions on fraudulent orders placed through their own Affiliate account.

-

Site admins, if you receive (or have received) an automated response from an Affiliate network your site may have been a target for one of these scams. What happens is they apply using a domain that is not theirs, and a generic email based on that stolen domain (for example: webmaster @ domain.com). When an action is taken that triggers an auto-email message from the network, the email is going out to the generic email address they submitted based on the domain. In some cases that email belongs to the actual site admin.

Has any Affiliates/site admins seen auto responses coming from networks lately? You may have been wondering why you received that kind of message...well maybe now it makes more sense.

Gary M

We have had a ton of problems with scammers (see http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=17940) ever since our program launched.
    Reha Kocatas - MagazineAgent.com
    Programs available on Commission Junction and ShareASale.com
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

Thank you Reha. I like how you have been handling some of these scammers...

Gary M

Sent a PM
    Reha Kocatas - MagazineAgent.com
    Programs available on Commission Junction and ShareASale.com
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    When someone goes to that much effort to hide their true identity while applying to you programs, you should be allowed to hit them with a bat. IMO, violence has solved all sorts of issues over the years, and a nice thwacking with a hickory stump might even reawaken their consience.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    Although we do not discuss fraudsters and our methods of identifying the perps, I will state that South Dakota has become an issue...

We do notify the CEO of the real site/sites and have discussed perps with some of their legal teams.

Some of the fraudsters read or are members here.

Hi Gary,
    Our affiliate network, Market Leverage, maintains extremely tight reigns to keep the fraudsters from entering our network. We call every new publisher, verifying there's a legit phone number and person on the other end to answer. We scrutinize and screen every applicant whose IP location does not match up with their physical address. We automatically deny publishers who sign up from China and Russia using U.S. PO Boxes as mailing addresses.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments. It is incredible how quick this became rampant...we've only been accepting applications for four months! Anyway...we'll be authenticating every new applicant to verify ownership.

Gary M

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Geeeeze, what's the next threat to this poor fledgling business? I think it says a lot about the POTENTIAL of A.M. so everyone smile and say "Man am I glad I learned how to do this!"
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread