Lightbulb Pre-populate a shopping cart at vendors site?
    I am reading what I can on datafeeds, affilite sites, etc. After looking at what is available with datafeeds, I have noticed what looks to be a pretty big gap in the whole affiliate marketplace. That gap is the transition from my site to the vendors. Most affiliates have a nice front end datafeed sorted by price, category or whatever and a "more information" or "Buy Now" link that BAM takes you to the vendors site leaving your site in the dust.

What I think a solution for this would be a way to link to a vendors shopping cart from the customers. What I mean is this... I datafeed into OSCommerce or phpShop or whatever, the customer has their cart with 4 items in it from my site, when they click CHECKOUT, it sends them to widgets.com to finish the checkout. The URL may look like
    Code:
    http://widgets.com/cart.php&items=123456,asd234,345dfg,567123&affid=MYAFFID
    widgets.com would show their shopping cart preloaded with the following items grabbed from the link: 123456,asd234,345dfg,567123 and register the sale to MYAFFID.

All the grunt work, the browsing, shopping, making a cart, etc is done on my site. When they are done and ready, it goes to their site.

I am sure it can't be that hard from the vendors side as the datafeed is going to have some product code in it for the items that are in my cart and configuring the link jump to the vendors site in any shopping cart package would be easy.

So, am I the only person who has thought of this (I doubt) or is there a solution for it already?

Jason

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What makes you think your lame affiliate site breeds enough trust to convience a shopper to place items into your shopping cart? Just cause you can get a hosted ecommerce solution for 15.00/month doesn't make you a merchant....even with access to some generic product feed. I'd laugh out loud when your shopper abandons your cart or the merchant checkout process and some wank couponer or BHO attack dog get a chance to set their cookie. What merchant desires a bunch of cloned affiliate shopping cart/ecatalogs? Oh I forgot. Those with AM's seeking SERP spammers to go with their demand to spend PPCSE monies like drunken sailors.

The solution to unreported merchant sales is mine. Eliminate BHO's and all incentive affiliates getting an affiliate ID#, while removing coupon/rebate codes from a common multi-merchant shopping cart.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

What makes you think your lame affiliate site breeds enough trust to convience a shopper to place items into your shopping cart? Just cause you can get a hosted ecommerce solution for 15.00/month doesn't make you a merchant....even with access to some generic product feed.
    My "lame" affiliate site? I don't have an affiliate site yet. What I do have is a niche site with over 70,000 registered members and a urge to promote the products that they want to see.

I'd laugh out loud when your shopper abandons your cart or the merchant checkout process and some wank couponer or BHO attack dog get a chance to set their cookie.
    They may very well abandon the cart but the "wank couponer or BHO" can just as easily hijack any other affiliate ID from any other marketing process, landing page, google add, ecomcity sharasale links, etc.

What merchant desires a bunch of cloned affiliate shopping cart/ecatalogs?
    None, but if I have a dedicated audience and I promote a vendor from my site, I don't want them forced to leave my site untill they are done shopping. I want to know that they queued up 5 items and clicked checkout. I want to know where those items came from, what article they were reading for every single "add to cart" click, how many posts in the forums they have, how often they visit my site, etc. I want to take what I do now for adsense targeting and gear it towards affiliate marketing.

Oh I forgot. Those with AM's seeking SERP spammers to go with their demand to spend PPCSE monies like drunken sailors.
    Then that is the AM's loss, a quality site with quality content and a niche audience promoting a small datafeed of products directed toward that audience will convert more any day of the week than 5 million hits randomly thrown at a shopping cart.

The solution to unreported merchant sales is mine. Eliminate BHO's and all incentive affiliates getting an affiliate ID#, while removing coupon/rebate codes from a common multi-merchant shopping cart.
    I agree, but where is your multi-merchant shopping cart? I click on an overstock.com item and oh wow, I get taken to overstock.com. You still haven't answered anything I asked and pretty much just flamed me for what I see as no good reason.

Even your own sig says "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

That is exactly what I am doing with my site, my audience, my reviews, comments, forums, user submitted articles, etc.

Nice to know that someone with that many posts and assumed experience is willing to take the time to answer a question instead of calling someone lame.

Here's your solution to your tight knit audience of 70,000 registered visitors. Arrange drop shipping distributor partners who tightly target their demographic. Run your own complete shopping cart and take a bigger cut off each sale. It's simple and I have several merchant clients doing just that. Heck Overstock does it with targeted portal sites like ivillage.com and that is the ebiz plan for Amazon, Shopping.com and Yahoo stores.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

But doesn't that mean I am responsable for chargebacks, fraudulent purchases, etc? Your solution means I am charging their credit card and then paying the dropshipper to send the item. If there is CC fraud or whatever, I am out the money for it.

Or am I handing their payment information to the dropshipper and telling them what to charge and the dropshipper completes the process and sends me the difference between what I charged the shopper and what the dropshipper charges me? That sounds safer from my perspective but I wouldn't think that a dropshipper or the shopper for that matter would want that information handed around.

I am not trying to reference 50,000 items, just the ones that I think are appropriate to my audience.

In reference to the BHO link stealing, what do you think the chances are of a vendor also referencing the IP address/DNS of the referral link with the affiliate ID?

If my site name is www.mysite.com and my ip is 10.1.1.1 and my affiliate ID is abc123, any referrals from my IP or my reverse DNS should be linked to my affiliate ID, regardless of which one was in the embeded link. I know those things can be spoofed but not when you are returning data from the server to a client, it would just drop the connection.

I am still not sure I would have the clout to setup a distributor partner at first since I can't guarantee any sales from the start.

I can sense some disbelief by my claims of a niche site, http://www.daocmods.com/pn/Stats.phtml is the first site I was wanting to work with in regards to promoting products.

You can see that right now it has both yahoo and valueclick banner ads along with a single Amazon 4 item datafeed and my own cafepress store. The forums are active and I go through about 3Gb a day of bandwidth. I am selecting this site to redesign and "recharge" because 1 year ago I was seeing 200,000 page views a month and that has dwindled down to 80,000 due to not updating anything on the site. It is completely community driven and centered around an online game. My vision for it is 15-20 computer related items (video cards, etc.) that they have reviewed from a site that they trust.

I also have my own weekly newsletter in the works again for my registered users (opt-in) that may feature 1 or 2 products along with other articles.

Regardless, thank you for your reply this time.

Just ignore Mike. He's our "old man who sits on the porch yelling at the kids".

Some merchants do offer this. Amazon.com is one.

Some datafeeds have an option that brings customers straight to the shopping cart, with the product added, rather than the product page. I don't think that's quite what you're looking for, but it's closer.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I by no means wish to disrespect the elders

I think I will contact a few of the AM's I am interested in promoting and see what they say. If they are willing to populate the shopping cart with 1 item, then 2 or 3 or 4 shouldn't be much of a problem.

Thanks.

Either get a Tax ID# and then approach the various computer products distributors willing to dropship and process your credit card orders. You become a true VAR =value added reseller and pick and choose what products you wish to showcase in your e-catalog. Research suppliers all more then willing to process even single product orders. Set your cart to send them the order made e-mail to they can retrieve and process it from your cart. Advantage is the customer belongs to you for followup marketing. Don't be lazy and research what your trying to accomplish ... selling into a needy audience.

http://www.crw.com/
    http://www.4reseller.com/index.html etc etc

I've been a computer VAR since 1982 and fulfill my clients needs with a phone call or often by researching for them the best deals online. Find a supplier willing to work your traffic.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    The problem with pre-populating YOUR shopping cart is...

If someone places a toaster - from Sears - in your shopping cart,

then places a bath towel - from Wal-Mart - in YOUR shopping cart...

when they click the "Finalize Order" button...

which website do you send them too? Sears or Wal-Mart?

He referenced his traffic is mostly Gaming computer Geeks. Wholesale suppliers are a dime a dozen for gaming computers and related add-ons. One valid Tax ID# and you can buy onesies or twosies of any brand product at wholesale. Research the computer closeout & new items distributors who fuel hundreds of eBay, Amazon and Yahoo storefronts by drop shipping arrangements. He can buildout individual shopping cart/eCatalog for the few items he wants to present to buyers.

Picking out Gaming computer gear individual item creatives to feature on his shopping page is a simple stop-gap solution. Folks like TigerDirect/Systemax or Computer Geeks have great closeouts and individual links if your seeking affiliate only relationships. If Overstock ever gets their eCatalog/Oracle snafu together they'll have online 200,000 SKU's from Ingrim Micro to hawk through their affiliates. Just knowing your traffic's needs is the 80% of the hurdle.

Wow, I didn't know they would do "onsies and twosies" that easily. I always figured on at least a few thousand a month in orders for dropshipping companies to even consider a relationship.

Either get a Tax ID# and then approach the various computer products distributors willing to dropship and process your credit card orders.
    They will do that? Or do I need to setup a merchant account to process credit cards?

And Billy,
    If someone places a toaster - from Sears - in your shopping cart,
    then places a bath towel - from Wal-Mart - in YOUR shopping cart...
    ecomcity is right, I was looking at promoting items from only one distributer.

But from what ecomcity says, I can setup a dropship agreement with multiple ones, pick only the products that I think are the best deals and right for my audience, process the orders and make more of a cut without much issue.

Thanks for the links, I hadn't considered anything more than an affiliate relationship before.

I still think there is room for the original question of multiple from the same vendor into the shopping cart on checkout. But it is probably best done between myself and the AM's I talk to.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread