Does Impression Data Matter?
    We are working out some new internal tools and were wonding if affiliates still use (or value) ad impression data? Seems like it is all clicks and Effective CPCs these days.
    Reha Kocatas - MagazineAgent.com
    Programs available on Commission Junction and ShareASale.com
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

It still measures something. May not mean much to some, but it is still a tool.

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    With so much PPC going on it's hard to find or even believe any impression data. We have many partners with lots of clicks but little or no impressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I like to see impression data. If I'm not seeing sales, I want to know, is it because the page doesn't convert--or because nobody ever found the page in the first place?

Also it's good to compare imp data to clickthrough rate. If lots of people are seeing the page but not clicking the ad, it's time for a redesign...

Of course, when affs send the traffic direct to the merchant via PPC, they don't show imps. But there are still a lot of sites who could use imp data.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

While that's true Leader, I've found most of the impression data provided by the networks to be inconsistent (sometimes greatly) from my weblogs. The question becomes... who's right? Of course, I usually believe my weblogs...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    then there's imps by counting loading a banner graphic, and there's when you load a tracking pixel, and there's when you have 3 banners on a page plus a tracking pixel and all get counted, then there's a text link that doesn't get counted, then there's a dynamic page driven from a feed where I could load a pixel for every product shown or just one for the page, and my feed test page where I view 5,000 products to make sure the images load in my site (twice a week), and when the page is reloaded I could make it load again, or not, then there's shrmip gumbo, shrimp bread, shrimp soup and shrimp salad, and there's shrimp teriyaki and shrimp and chips...

merchant's shouldn't read much into imps...

affs need to know how they're counting them themselves and the nature of the traffic to make sense of it as a metric...

leave it in there... but if you're a merchant, think about the ways we can twist it to suit our needs and render it an unreliable info slice if you take it without a bunch of other knowledge bits.

I'm with Leader on this one. That's exactly what I use it for.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstar7
    I'm with Leader on this one. That's exactly what I use it for.
    Me too
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaGolf
    With so much PPC going on it's hard to find or even believe any impression data. We have many partners with lots of clicks but little or no impressions.
    I don't use banners and most of the time, pull a basic text link from a link generated by the merchant, but remove everything but the tracking and specific product code. so impressions don't show. It looks like lots of clicks, no impressions. That's what you'e probably seeing GigaGolf.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

SO...Would you all work with a merchant that did not offer impression tracking?
    Reha Kocatas - MagazineAgent.com
    Programs available on Commission Junction and ShareASale.com
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

I would. But roll with the masses You know you have to
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I pay almost no attention to impression tracking. Since I do most of my affiliate work with datafeeds, it would be too much effort to ensure impression tracking works. I used to do my own impression tracking and organize products based on their impressions, but even that was flawed. Now my products are organized by the number of clicks they get and I only compare my clicks to the network clicks to make sure everything is tracking properly.

Sometimes I'll look at the impressions in YPN or AdSense, but that's about it.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I use impression tracking on all my links to verify (Except GoldenCan) my CTR for new showcase displays. I use it to figure out what type creatives get better sales ratios ...and you'd be amazed that text links aren't always #1. Guess I'm Old school and just take what's generated by the network link generators.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

+ Reply to Thread