Please help
    I downloaded webmerge last night hoping I could figure it out without too much trouble. I have been able to get to the point of creating an index and detail template but I don't know what to do with them.
    I am using homestead as my host. Is it possible to use homestead and datafeeds? If so, what do I do with the template that was created?
    One other thing that confuses me. From reading the tutorial you are supposed to import the data TO a template? BUT.. webmerge CREATES a template.. I am so lost... thanks for any help you can give me.

Connie

BUT.. webmerge CREATES a template.. I am so lost... thanks for any
    help you can give me.
    Hi Connie,

WebMerge creates just a basic generic template, it's up to you to create a template that is different from everyone else, that's the trick to get your pages on the search engines above the rest of the generic ones that many people use.

Sal.

Thanks Sal, but what do I do with the generic template? What is the point of using webmerge if you have to build another template and how do you get the generic template to merge with the real template? I have to store the generic template on my computer and then somehow move it to the websites template. This is what has me stumped. I cannot upload the generic template into the real template directly from webmerge. Is there another way to do it?

I hate to say it, but you may need to go back and re-read either Frank's tutorial, or mine. At least the basic part. From your questions, I think a better understanding of the basics is in order.

You need to understand the relationship between the detail and index templates (one of each) that are needed for each datafeed you want to run, the datafeed file, and the .4ww file. There are only these four components that make up a complete WebMerge system.

Once again, there really are only two templates needed. One template guides the program in making detail pages (with each product on it), the other guides the program in making the index pages, or pages that have links leading to each of the product (detail) pages.

As for WebMerge creating a detail or index template. Yes it can, but you don't want to do that. You want to create the templates yourself. In this case, it is one or the other (yours or WebMerge's), not both.

Please try to understand the program a bit better, then come on back and ask what questions you need to. Both Frank and I offer consulting services (for a fee), but in many cases we can help with quick questions right here (for free!).

Good luck.

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    Fred's right (he usually is <g>). While WebMerge does have the ability to kick out its own quickie templates, those are really just bare bones templates for people who need to post stuff quickly without regard for how the presentation fits in with the rest of their site.

The true value of WebMerge is that it's tag-driven, allowing you to put tags anywhere in your own HTML templates that you can make in any HTML authoring tool. This puts you in the driver's seat, giving you complete control over the layout and appearance of feed elements in your page.

Fred's tutorial is linked at the top of this page, and Frank's is too. Both are good reading for getting the most out of professional use of WebMerge.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Thank you both. I read Franks Tutorial yesterday and going through Freds just now I did gain a little better understanding of what I need to do. I need to somehow get the information from webmerge to my websites template which is what I thought to begin with. I just can't find the answer on how to do this. I know it has FTP capabilities but it still wants me to designate a folder to create the index and detail pages in. If I create those pages ON my computer I don't know how to then integrate them into my websites template that I have built.. I hope this makes some sense. The above answers told me to do what I had already done. Im not confused on the templates. Im confused on how to get the webmerge pages into my website.
    The whole problem might just be my website host. Do either of you know if anyone has used webmerge with Homestead?
    I will continue practicing and reading but after three days Im about ready to just throw in the towel.
    Thanks again!
    Connie

Lightbulb
    everything stays in your computer until you have finished pages. then you put the pages up to your site.

Thanks.. I appreciate everyones helpfulness but I guess I am not asking my question correctly so I will try to be a little more detailed. It is all I can do because I don't understand all the technical stuff well enough.
    Here is what I have done and or can do and why I can't get it to work:
    I use webmerge to create a page which it makes in .html and places in a folder on my computer. Then I go into my sitebuilder and I have a template I have created there. I have the wm tags in place. I can either put the wm tags on my page by inserting them as text or html. I currently have them entered in html because I didn't see the point of entering them as text, maybe I was wrong. So now I have to bring the webmerge pages from my computer and insert them into my template. My options are to "insert file" or to copy and paste the source code from the pages and enter it as html. From what I understand in the templates the webmerge pages are supposed to look for the wm tages and merge everything togther but that doesn't happen with either of my methods. So I don't know HOW to get the pages into my templates.
    If anyone can see what I am doing wrong or give me some other ideas to try I would greatly appreciate it!
    Connie

Affiliate Manager
    What is this "sitebuilder"?
    Richard Gaskin

Sitebuilder is the program you get when you use Homestead to host your websites. You use it to build your webpages. I thought that it would work with webmerge. I originally heard of webmerge when I read Rosalinds review of webmerge and she stated that she generated the pages and inserted them into her sitebuilder. That sentence led me to believe she might also have been using Homestead but now I think maybe she just used that term generically.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by photomom04
    Sitebuilder is the program you get when you use Homestead to host your websites. You use it to build your webpages. I thought that it would work with webmerge. I originally heard of webmerge when I read Rosalinds review of webmerge and she stated that she generated the pages and inserted them into her sitebuilder. That sentence led me to believe she might also have been using Homestead but now I think maybe she just used that term generically.
    Photomom, if you want a serious online business, you need your own domain. Trying to incorporate anything into free web server software is a waste of time even if it does work.

Once you have a domain of your own, you can grow your business and will be taken more seriously by merchants. You will eventually want control over your site which you don't have with a free server hosting it.

Good luck!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Photomom, if you want a serious online business, you need your own domain. Trying to incorporate anything into free web server software is a waste of time even if it does work.

Once you have a domain of your own, you can grow your business and will be taken more seriously by merchants. You will eventually want control over your site which you don't have with a free server hosting it.

Good luck!
    I'm afraid that this is very true. And perhaps it brings you to a place where you need to make a decision about where you are going in this business. But don't fret!

We're not talking about a lot of money.

A domain will cost less than $10.00 per year.
    A good host for someone just starting out, is less than $ 15.00 month. So that's your initial outlay (not including WebMerge).

Can you afford $ 200. a year ? If so, then you are ready. I am sure there are even less expensive alternatives, but the free-route is a complete waste of time, if you want to make money.

It sounds like you got some advice from someone, and either they were wrong or perhaps it was taken out of context? I don't know, except from the questions you are asking, we are all shaking our heads (we're not saying, no - we're saying we don't understand what you're trying to accomplish).

As you can tell, we all want to help you. But it may be possible that you have skipped a step in the affiliate process, you're at step C or D, and you should be at step A or B.

We can only guess. Good luck.

Fred

Thanks Rexanne and Fred, but I DO have my own domain names. Homestead is not a FREE host. I am actually doing quite well with my first website and felt it was time to branch out and start putting up more sites since I now know that I can be successful with them. I have been working from home running my website, message board and two blogs for almost two years now and just started a new one. The new site is centered around scrapbooking and scrapbook.com has a datafeed available through shareasale. I am just trying to figure out how to use it.

Thanks
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by photomom04
    Thanks Rexanne and Fred, but I DO have my own domain names. Homestead is not a FREE host. I am actually doing quite well with my first website and felt it was time to branch out and start putting up more sites since I now know that I can be successful with them. I have been working from home running my website, message board and two blogs for almost two years now and just started a new one. The new site is centered around scrapbooking and scrapbook.com has a datafeed available through shareasale. I am just trying to figure out how to use it.

Thanks
    Connie
    I'm sorry Connie, I misunderstood.

Fred

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buy_online
    I'm sorry Connie, I misunderstood.

Fred
    Me too. Ooooops -
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thats okay. You were both trying to be helpful and I appreciate it. After reading some of the threads at abestweb last month I realized that volume was the way to go and that if I could have ten websites doing as well as the first I would be quite content. I put up the new one and then ran across datafeeds when I was looking for affiliate programs to add to the new site. I really believe they can be a powerful tool. Hopefully either I will figure this all out or someone will come up with some easy way to add them..

Affiliate Manager
    In my admittedly limited understanding, Site Builder is designed to generate pages dynamically from the server, while WebMerge (and FrontPage and Dreamweaver and most other HTML generation tools) creates static pages that are then uploaded to the server.

We have a lot of customers who use WebMerge in conjunction with server-side tools like Site Builder, but it may require some expertise with the server-side tool to know just how to integrate the two.

The most common way such tools are used with WebMerge is to have WebMerge generate a portion of the site, such as the product pages, and use the server-side tool for other portions, linking into the static WebMerge-generated pages as needed.

I'm not familiar enough with Site Builder to advise how to do this with that tool, but if they have a support forum you should be able to find someone who can help you integrate its pages with common static pages such as WebMerge produces.

Please keep me posted with how that works out.
    Richard Gaskin

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread