Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Exclamation Another Reason to Avoid Employment!
    I'd say this was Orwellian, but it seems Orwell's telescreens (From 1984) don't go far enough to match the reality...

If you thought things like employers caring about whether you have a cig on lunch was bad, wait until you read this!

ID Chips for Employees

Forget badges that can be lost or stolen. Why not implant a radio transmitting chip into the arm of each employee? (From linked Chicago Tribune article)
    *Shudder shudder shudder*
    GEEZ that makes it pretty blatant doesn't it, empl*yers DO think they own their workers!

"This may be appropriate for cattle, pets or packages, but for humans it is a very different issue," said Lee Tien, an attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a technology and civil-liberties group in San Francisco.
    (Bold added by me)

That about says it!

As for his workers, they haven't complained. They volunteered for the chips, he said.
    Hopefully we all know how such "volunteering" works (an employer could suggest jumping off the highest point of the Brooklyn Bridge and some *sskisser would do it; as for the others they can either "volunteer" or next thing you know it's plain-out MANDATORY...)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'd tell them where they could stick that idea! Time to get a new job!

Or work hard on not having one!
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    I'd tell them where they could stick that idea! Time to get a new job!

Or work hard on not having one!
    Wal-Mart is already pushing RFID chips
    Read RFID Chips Are Here | The Register
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Good God ... bless my web sites and sleep tight, good night. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Wal-Mart is already pushing RFID chips
    Read RFID Chips Are Here | The Register
    At least Wal-Mart's not talking about sticking a chip in their employees (unlike that place I mentioned)...yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Good God ... bless my web sites
    My thoughts exactly!

If my boss asked me I would get a chip installed, This way he can tell where i am taking my vacations lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador

Got to work on my sites. Must work on my sites. Must find ways to earn $$$$ without going back to employment.

Heeeelllllppppp!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    At least Wal-Mart's not talking about sticking a chip in their employees (unlike that place I mentioned)...yet...
    It's a slippery slope ... wanna feel owned?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Here's another reason to avoid employment if your a smoker which i know many of us affiliates are...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3664335.html
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    It's a slippery slope ... wanna feel owned?
    If you're married you're already owned.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Marriage is a mutual submission, but of course I get your joke
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    That sounds bad and rude BurgerBoy,

But I might agree!

The title "Mrs." means "Property of". That's why women are expected, now, and in the past required to change their surnames. Ex: "Mrs. Jones," means "Property of Jones".

Slaves were given the slave owner's surname, too.

That is why I have my birth name. After ending up with my mother's ex husband's last name, I petitioned the court for my original birth name and have not changed it due to change of affiliation through marriage. I do not want to be property of anyone!

Women must be on their toes and be willing to fight for something as simple as having a name to call their own.

PSanf is the perfectly ligitimate production of a legally sanctioned marriage but he has my name, too, so NYAHHH!

His father had other sons to carry his name and I wanted one, too.
    Last edited by SSanf; February 18th, 2006 at 09:00 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

They've been doing that for a long time
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    Here's another reason to avoid employment if your a smoker which i know many of us affiliates are...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3664335.html
    I worked in insurance (life & health) back in 1979-1986. They were charging higher premiums for smokers on both life and health insurance even back then.
    Last edited by White Wolf; February 18th, 2006 at 11:35 AM. Reason: clarity
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

Insurance companies may have been charging more, but employers were not differentiating between smokers & non-smokers.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

ABW Ambassador
    Why should the non-smokers be burdened by paying extra to make up for the smokers? It is not like this is a subtle or questionable thing - smoking is bad for you. It is bad for those around you. I say good for those companies charging smokers more, in the long run it will help the smokers as well.

Bullroar! It will only impoverish smokers more. That ain't a help, you know.

Why they should not charge smokers more is because they live less long and therefore use the insurance less. They die at about the end of their productive life cycle where the rest of you hangers on go on to continue using the insurance.

Additionally, smokers are NOT more costly during their final illness. In fact, they may be cheaper because their care has become so routine. If you smoke, barring accident, you will die from an uncomfortable, degrading, expensive, illness. If you DON'T smoke, barring accident, you will die from an uncomfortable, degrading, expensive illness. You will just take longer to get there and be a burden on the insurers and health care system longer.

Quitting won't save you from your fate. It will just put it off.

Due to shorter longevity, I would bet life long health care costs for smokers is LESS than for non-smokers.

The insurance companies are gambling that non-smokers will be off their policies before they croak.

Heck! Society SHOULD pay us to smoke.

Why should we underwrite your additional malingering years in the nursing home?
    Last edited by SSanf; February 18th, 2006 at 02:27 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I hope there is a missing smiley at the end of that post.

They have enough data to make the proof easy, and they do. Smokers cost companies more. So you can make some jokes with anecdotal evidence, but the fact remains, they cost insurers more, they cost companies who insure workers more, so employees who don't smoke in the end are subsidizing workers who do. Why should they be burdened with those extra costs because the smokers refuse to wake up to 5 decades worth of evidence?

Chet

Unfortunately, the evidence I've seen is in favor of Chet and the empl*yers on the smoking issue (I say "unfortunately" because I'm a smoker).

We smokers will indeed take more time off and go to the doc more often, even if no life-ending illness arises. There are also more cases of things like bronchitis among smokers. That increases insurance costs. (And is an argument against smoking, but never mind that part )

I did have to laugh that the article used Meijer as an example, though. The chance of anyone staying employed THERE long enough to actually get in on their insurance is rather remote regardless of smoking status All they need to do to keep their costs down is keep on suckin' as an empl*yer

On the other hand, non-smokers should still be glad to have some of us in the office. Without us DEMANDING a break at regular intervals, you nons would probably never get any! I say that last part only semi-smilingly...there are a few places I've been where I think that actually would have been the case (especially in retail)...

They have enough data to make the proof easy, and they do.
    BULLSH*T !!!! This is the reaction of someone who believes everything he/she is told by a bunch of doctors who have no bloody clue what causes cancers but are jumping on the bandwaggon to try to make a name for themselves.

If the truth be known there are far more harmful drugs put in your daily foods by the farmers and food processors than you will ever get from a cigarette. There are also far more harmful fumes spewed from vehicles and industrial sites 24 hours per day than you will ever get from cigarettes.

Do not come here spouting crap about smoking and smokers, tell the truth and people might listen but the trouble is your Goverments do not want you to know the truth because it will cost them too much money !!!
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon

If the truth be known there are far more harmful drugs put in your daily foods by the farmers and food processors than you will ever get from a cigarette. There are also far more harmful fumes spewed from vehicles and industrial sites 24 hours per day than you will ever get from cigarettes.
    Amen and I couldn't agree more.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Bullroar! It will only impoverish smokers more. That ain't a help, you know.

Why they should not charge smokers more is because they live less long and therefore use the insurance less. They die at about the end of their productive life cycle where the rest of you hangers on go on to continue using the insurance.

Additionally, smokers are NOT more costly during their final illness. In fact, they may be cheaper because their care has become so routine. If you smoke, barring accident, you will die from an uncomfortable, degrading, expensive, illness. If you DON'T smoke, barring accident, you will die from an uncomfortable, degrading, expensive illness. You will just take longer to get there and be a burden on the insurers and health care system longer.

Quitting won't save you from your fate. It will just put it off.

Due to shorter longevity, I would bet life long health care costs for smokers is LESS than for non-smokers.

The insurance companies are gambling that non-smokers will be off their policies before they croak.

Heck! Society SHOULD pay us to smoke.

Why should we underwrite your additional malingering years in the nursing home?
    For what the average smoker pays to smoke each month, at least here in Oklahoma, you could buy health insurance (for one person). I've known people who would go the the welfare office each month with a cutoff notice for the water, gas and electric bills to get emergency help, yet between the two or three people living in the house, they EACH paid more than that for their cigarettes. Smokers would not be nearly as impoverished if they gave up smoking - it is an expensive habit.

My wee little grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep (in her own home, not lingering in a nursing facility) several years ago at the ripe old age of 87 (or 89 - not sure), never smoked or drank. At the end of her life, she cost the system next to nothing, except for a couple of years worth of blood pressure medication. My father (her son) quit smoking years ago and walks (very briskly!) 5 days a week. He's 77 years old, remarried and dancing up storm two or three times a week is also not lingering in a nursing home. He'll probably die on the dance floor or in his shop while he's building something.

My mother, who smoked all her life, ended up with copd - the catch all term for heart disease and emphysema. She died three years ago at the age of 73. Emphysema is caused almost 100% by smoking. In the last five or six years of her life, she cost the government over $500,000 in medical care, most of which was in the last four months of her life. I saw at least three of her bills, EACH of which were over $60,000. None of the cost was paid for by my parents - it was ALL courtesy of the government (tricare, medicare).

I watched her die a slow, lingering, horrible death from emphysema. Notwithstanding the expense, I believe with all my heart that all of you who smoke truly do not appreciate how awful this is because if you did you would quit. I spent many hours listening to her tears of regret, that if she had known how horrible this really could be, she would have quit long, long ago.

I don't feel antagonism when I see a smoker, I feel sorrow.
    Last edited by White Wolf; February 19th, 2006 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added stuff
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I'd say this was Orwellian, but it seems Orwell's telescreens (From 1984) don't go far enough to match the reality...

If you thought things like employers caring about whether you have a cig on lunch was bad, wait until you read this!

ID Chips for Employees

*Shudder shudder shudder*
    GEEZ that makes it pretty blatant doesn't it, empl*yers DO think they own their workers!

(Bold added by me)

That about says it!

Hopefully we all know how such "volunteering" works (an employer could suggest jumping off the highest point of the Brooklyn Bridge and some *sskisser would do it; as for the others they can either "volunteer" or next thing you know it's plain-out MANDATORY...)
    how 'bout, they are being required to volunteer

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf
    I don't feel antagonism when I see a smoker, I feel sorrow.
    your own personal experience aside, who do you feel sorrow for? the smoker or yourself? because you inhale the same smoke the smoker does.

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    your own personal experience aside, who do you feel sorrow for? the smoker or yourself? because you inhale the same smoke the smoker does.
    I am well aware that second hand smoke is every bit as deadly as smoking itself. My sorrow is for the smoker.

Here in Oklahoma, as of March this year, restaurants are required to provide separate ventilated areas for smokers - which means most of them will probably have to go non-smoking to avoid the expense. Other retail stores have been smokeless for several years. I inhale little to no second hand smoke. None of my friends smoke, I don't work in a smoking environment (when I used to temp, sometimes places wouldn't say they were a smoking environment and I would immediately leave and call my supervisor. They were still required to pay me a day's pay since they didn't say they were a smoking environment).

I'm referring to seeing someone walking down the street smoking, someone in line at the store buying cigarettes and the whiffs of cigarette smoke I get while waiting for the red light to turn green (on a nice day, car windows open).
    Blessed Be,
    White Wolf

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast