ABW Ambassador
    As An Affiliate Marketer Do You Like Being Marketed To?
    Just curiosity on my part. I'm sure people will feel different ways.

Personally I find it annoying. It's like trying to bs a bs'er. Marketing to a marketer. Now don't get me wrong, I like AM's who are enthusiastic about their programs and I know their intentions are good. Things like trick titles just to get you to click only to find out it's something else. Or wait, wait, got a secret I'll tell you tomorrow. Or i've got something new coming up, can't tell you yet, just going to have to wait or email me and I'll let you in. To me this is a board with a bunch of other affiliate marketers, merchants, AM etc, that's what we do, marketing. Here I just like things straight, don't really like spin. Just curious as to what other affiliates like and don't like when it comes to things like that.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Just curiosity on my part. I'm sure people will feel different ways.

Personally I find it annoying. It's like trying to bs a bs'er. Marketing to a marketer. Now don't get me wrong, I like AM's who are enthusiastic about their programs and I know their intentions are good. Things like trick titles just to get you to click only to find out it's something else. Or wait, wait, got a secret I'll tell you tomorrow. Or i've got something new coming up, can't tell you yet, just going to have to wait or email me and I'll let you in. To me this is a board with a bunch of other affiliate marketers, merchants, AM etc, that's what we do, marketing. Here I just like things straight, don't really like spin. Just curious as to what other affiliates like and don't like when it comes to things like that.
    Straight, no spin works for me. My head is spinning enough.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I used to think that way, but then I realize that "spin" is what makes the world go round -(chuckle) I crack myself up sometimes-.

Seriously like seeing good marketing schemes because I like studying them, Marketing is a forever growing and changing business. Now, if the "Spin" can compell other proffesional marketer to react or take action then you know it got work on the masses. I agree that there is OVERKILL. I see stuff in here that is just plain cheezy with a capitol -CHEEZE.

I got into this habbit years ago about reseaching and studying the reason why I myself have bought, subscribe to something or even reffered. It's an automatic thing that I do now.

I do, only because there's not enough time in the world to go out and find all the new opportunities myself.

I'd like to separate MARKETING from SPAM though. If someone sees one of my sites, think they have a related service, and reach out to me, it's fine.

If someone buys an email list and blasts it, that's another thing all together.

Now, I'm aware that there's a little hypocrisy in this post. I don't suspect that every AM has the wherewithal to research all the new opportunities for themselves either. But hitting the Top 10 for a good keyword in google shouldn't be that difficult...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    My bad, I meant stuff that happens on this board. Marketers in a room with a bunch of other marketers.

I know what you mean, it's like sites that used to have links and then when you follow them you get a "site under construction" graphic - check back soon! I never bothered as they'd wasted my time once already.

Internet Cowboy
    As for the posts designed to either shock someone into reading or promises of things to come, I am annoyed by them. To me it seems like an AM is taking the easy way out when these kinds of posts are used. If you want me to read it, make it appeal to me without deceiving me. To make it look like one thing only to be another thing once the link is clicked is one of the oldest tricks in the business. Bait and switch. It is like the commercial offering a Lexus for $299 a month.

This kind of marketing might work for some. It will ALWAYS piss off a percentage of people and those who use it need to know that.

While I am at it, another thing that annoys me is getting an email from an AM through the network mail then getting it immediately through my e-mail. Why do both? Put your list together and send it once.

Any time two people meet, someone is selling something. But we have to consider the outcome of our methods. Some methods that are effective with a given segment will anger another segment.

ABW Ambassador
    "While I am at it, another thing that annoys me is getting an email from an AM through the network mail then getting it immediately through my e-mail. Why do both?"

I agree with your first parts but that part is fine to me. They just do that to insure you get notice. I always check my regular mail and network mail throughout the day but some only check the network mail every once and awhile and sometimes mail gets blocked for some reason.

Ah, gotcha Trust. I'm pretty much with Scooter on this one, then.

AM's and other marketers can do whatever they want, and I won't criticize them. But for my personality type, give it a compelling headline, but don't trick me.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I don't join programs or work with people who pull this crap. I want to quickly scan here a couple of times and day and pick up any information i might need - programs closing, opening, terms changing etc, the occasional social or offtopic thread.

I think some ams don't get how many people read the forums - clicking new posts. So I don't see what forum something is posted in right off (yeah its there, but more prominently is the post title).

The don't get paid one... sorry Jorge, you got my attention. And that attention made me realize to ignore you and your programs.

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    I don't join programs or work with people who pull this crap. Its that simple. I am not a child, i am not some kid just waiting for the next wacky post to get me to click just to find out it is a program I have nothing i want to do with.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

Fred

Don't get me wrong, I'm talking about good marketing tactics. Not "deceptive", "bait n' switch", SPAM (ugh!!), etc..., I make it a point not to buy off of "lazy marketing" or "deceptive" Marketing if I can help it.

I don't like the spin one bit. I don't like to be deceived, tricked or manipulated. And while I'm at it, I don't like to be tickled either.

Unless I'm the one doing the tickling - then it's funny.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

I like to be marketed to the same way I like to market to people. If there's something that would be useful to me, give me all the details and make it as simple as possible for me. Don't try to push things down my throat. Don't try to trick me. Don't hide the negatives. Lay it all out. Make a persuasive, honest case. And show me that it's for me.

I get tons of emails, voice mails, and calls from merchants who are obviously a poor match for my site. They figure just because I'm a super-affiliate, that I could do well with their program. Instead, they should realize that because I'm a super-affiliate I get hundreds and hundreds of "shotgun approach" emails and virtually all of them get ignored. If they want my attention, they need to make it personal, show me that they've visited my site, and show me that they understand what I need and can provide it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

A note to AMs / OPMs and Networks
    -----------------------------------

Luger's or Morton's?

It's hard to decide between two good steakhouses but in the end the atmosphere and experience always win.

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

The bait-play annoys me. I'm a straight shot, lay-it-on-the-table person and I deal with folks the way I like to be dealt with. IMO marketers that know the game, know it too well and aren't amused by the bait game.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

It doesn't bother me at all, I am glad this one as it made me check my email address which I updated anyway.

The same email in both network internal and in my ebox does get me though just a bit. I usually delete the internal one.

What I really hate are contest! Not all, the money ones are cool beans but ones where I can win a trip or something, I really hate it and I usually drop the program.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    I don't want to be marketed to. If a program fits one of my sites, I'll usually find it (I'm a research junkie). If it don't fit, there is no reason for me to spend time reading about the program. When I need links I go looking for them. If I don't find them I post a message hoping they will find me. I have a post up now asking merchants to contact me IF their program offers links that I need for a new site.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    What Lectrickitty said. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    As for the posts designed to either shock someone into reading or promises of things to come, I am annoyed by them.
    I agree. I HATE "teaser campaigns" passionately! The misleadingly shocking title ploy is annoying, too.

I don't quite know what to call them, but "marketing" is too good of a word for such things...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    I Have a Saying...
    "Great marketing does more than sell products, it creates relationships"

The point is that all Great Relationships MUST be built on respect, trust, and an attempt to understand the needs of the other person. A little bit of the Golden Rule always helps. Marketing that doesn't take a persons real needs into account never succeeds. No one likes to be SOLD too.

Everyone just wants to be treated like a person. Just like a companys' brand, a person's "brand" is determined by how they look, act and treat other people. Over time the worth of that brand will become evident. Every "transaction" is an opportunity to demonstrate the value of the brand and determine it's perception. Time will tell if a true "relationship" develops.

The point is that Marketing is just another kind of communication, another relationship. You touch another person in either a positive or a negative way.

Online Marketing is much more complicated however. The impersonal nature of most of our communications (email, IMs, posts) make miscommunication more common and even likely. It's more difficult to judge intention without the human cues of voice tone and body language. All the "smilies" in the world won't make up for a real smile.

Our online world and online relationships beg for patience, "benefit of the doubt", and maybe even kindness. Who hasn't, after an emotional post, wished they had said something a little differently or not at all (I may feel that way after this post). It's human nature to make mistakes. It's the online worlds nature to turn those mistakes into "spam", "flaming", or whatever.

ABW is for the most part a "business" community after all. People are here to do business. I believe most members intentions are honorable and it's hard not to feel the warmth that is here underneath it all. BUT... wouldn't ya just like to meet each other in person sometimes... and touch more than just a keyboard.

Anyway, thanks again for being here ABW. You add a little humanity to it all.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    BUT... wouldn't ya just like to meet each other in person sometimes... and touch more than just a keyboard.
    No...social gatherings aren't my style. Avoiding that stuff, is one of the reasons I picked an ONLINE biz.

Who hasn't, after an emotional post, wished they had said something a little differently or not at all (I may feel that way after this post). It's human nature to make mistakes. It's the online worlds nature to turn those mistakes into "spam", "flaming", or whatever.
    That's no different than the offline world! Many people yell things during a heated argument--the vocal equivalent of flaming.

But, I do agree that:
    Everyone just wants to be treated like a person. Just like a companys' brand, a person's "brand" is determined by how they look, act and treat other people. Over time the worth of that brand will become evident.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread