I am thinking of a new site and need a bit of information first. Is it ok to offer incentives (eg. a chance in a free prize draw?) to visitors to click on banners, links.etc.(or only on certain ad networks, or not at all?)
    :confused:

I just want to make sure that what i am thinking of doing is legal first?

I e-mailed tradedoubler.co.uk but have yet to receive a response.

I know that in some bingo,looto sites.etc. that they require you to click on a link to activate the game.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't know about the others, but at CJ you have to have special permission from both CJ and the merchant(s) in question. That's "incentivized traffic", which typically does not convert worth beans. So, almost nobody wants to touch it...

BTW, I tried advertising on a lotto site at one point. The belief that it doesn't convert is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. The people hit X or Back the instant they have credit for their entry. I don't think they even waited for the site to load!

sounds like one of Dr Evil's evil wicked plans

apart from the fact that incentive sites suck you should clearly state that it is an incentive site in your site description and expect (rightly so) LOTS of reversals from merchants that didn't realise that it was an incentive site, it will also further convince merchants that all affiliates are cheats

imagine bidding for keywords on a pay per click search engine, now imagine some clever person paying people to click your link, its just not cricket

--------------
    <FONT FACE="dayton" SIZE="4" COLOR="#00CC00">fight war not wars</FONT>

The kind of site i WAS planning was a scavenger hunt site.

A clue would be given at the start about the site for which there would be a link below.

Then, the users would have to search through the site and solve the clue.

So my thinking was that i it could happen, i could get people to look practically anywhere on a site, just by changing the clue at the start.

Any way i guess thats done for... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

jq,

Cute site idea .... I remember when yahoo did it ... I clicked on just about every advertiser page and then after I found the logo I would clicking on the X on the advertiser page ... so [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Haiko

Well wait a minute, what are the demographics of your traffic? Maybe the question isn't can you do this, maybe it should be with whom can you do this.

There are probably site out there that would take your traffic.

You probably won't find real high paying offers and you won't make much money though.

I've found an affiliate site that pays for incentivised clicks at lower rates obviously.

It url is www.connectedexec.com

Has anyone had any dealings witht them. Their site looks a bit amateurish and so i'm slightly wary about them.

I've e-mailed them asking for more info but no reply as of yet.

Haiko said:
    jq,
    Cute site idea .... I remember when yahoo did it ... I clicked on just about every advertiser page and then after I found the logo I would clicking on the X on the advertiser page ... so [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Haiko

What did you mean by that?? :confused:

The way i was going to work it was to only have one advertiser and relate the clue to that site. There would only be one site to search through, not mutilple sites.

I just had a thought there now.

Would it be classed as an incentivised click if i did not offer a prize in a draw after completing the scavenger hunt.

ie. if i had banners, and the clues to the hunt, but no prize???

Or would the actual clue be an incentive for the users to click on the banner?

[typo] :rolleyes:

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: jq ]

oh behave

pleeeeeaaaaase give it up

if you want people to click on links put some sales spin around them

hurry!! get this fantastic new widget, it will save you money and will give you more time to spend with the family, hurry, get it while stocks last click here

now your sending qualified clicks not untargeted tricks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

jq,

The way Yahoo's program worked was that you would have to find the bag of money logo for an entry if you continued to click the logo you would be forwarded to another advertiser page where you would have to search for the logo once again and then click it for an other entry ... and so on.

It was a complete waste of money for advertisers!

Haiko

Incentivized traffic has to be broken down into two types -

traffic from game sites and lotto type places and traffic from email.

The stuff from game sites and the like does not convert very well at all.

However, the incentivized traffic from email
    does convert at least as well as most non-targeted traffic. It depends on the offer, etc. Some offers convert light years better than others.

The key to email based incentivized traffic is that it generates thousands of more visitors than any other type of traffic in a shorter period of time. it thus sets more cookies, gets the site more noticed and gives the site owner way more chances to sell and/or capture email addresses.

Incentivized email traffic does not convert as well as niche specific targeted keyword traffic from ppc search engines. But it still converts.

Austin Powers has the right idea -

if you want people to click on links put some sales spin around them

hurry!! get this fantastic new widget, it will save you money and will give you more time to spend with the family, hurry, get it while stocks last click here.

now your sending qualified clicks not untargeted tricks.

Combine compelling copy with incentivized email traffic and you can convert some serious percentage.

Advertisers just need to write the good copy, make the good offers and then get as much targetted, incentivized email based and free traffic to their site that they can get.

The key is not which traffic does best - it's how does all the traffic do. Targeted usually converts best, incentivized email traffic from well composed ad copy next and then free traffic. You have to average it all together.

You need to know your cost per visitor from all sources not just ppc etc.

ABW Ambassador
    Just like the shock the monkey banner...

Click on the squares to find hidden money (monkey bucks or whatever) and then cash them in on affiliate stuff. I found that really bogus ... a year ago ... but their still doing it!!

Dave

Incentives to visit your own site is the key.

The shock the monkey banner has been one of the top performing banners for quite some time now.

I want that banner. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread