Could someone please explain about Page Rank and Google? What is it, exactly? why is a Page Rank of 5 better than a Page Rank of 1?

how do I find a site Page Rank?

Thanks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

PageRank (TM) is the technology used by Google to determine the "importance" of a page in the world wide web.

The PageRank of a certain web page depends on the number of web pages linking to that page and the PageRank of the pages that link to that page. (It's recursive.)

In order to improve your PageRank, try to get people with high PageRank pages to link to your page. Money might work, good content always helps, and giving the webmaster a link in exchange never hurt.

In order to see the PageRank of a certain page as determined in the most recent Google update, download the Google toolbar for MS Internet Explorer at http://toolbar.google.com/ -- you must be using IE for it to work.

Oh ya: why is PageRank important? I guess I got PageRank = GoodThing so ingrained in my brain that I forgot to answer that one!

PageRank will get you into the search results at Google. If you have a PageRank of 0 or 1, don't expect to show up in the Google results. As a general rule of thumb from experience, it is very improbable that you can show up ahead of another page in the results that is more than two PageRank levels above you, assuming that you both use the same keyphrases on your pages. Keyword density optimization can only add the virtual effect of a couple "PageRank" points for the particular keyphrase that you are targeting; that is why it is so important to beef up your general PageRank (TM) score as high as possible. For a page that has been around for less than a year, a target PageRank score would be about 5, which represents a few dozen decent links. Of course, you could get lucky and have another page with a rank of 8 or higher link to you right away; if so, watch your PageRank soar to 6 or above just for that one link!

In order to do your own experimentation concerning the importance of PageRank and how to improve PageRank with inbound links, download the Google toolbar. It will show you the PageRank for any page, and it will also tell you about the inbound links known to Google.

best,
    Peter Kirby

Thanks peter! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I downloaded the toolbar, but the Page Rank is greyed out and doesn't work on any site.

I used the advanced options an I'm not on a network, so I don't know what's wrong. Guess I'll check the page rank at DMOZ

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Did you pick the setting which gives more privacy? If you do, you can't see the PageRank.

The PageRank only can come up if you choose to allow Google to know which sites you're visiting. It sends that data over and returns the PageRank...

Yes, I did choose the option to install with advanced features. I've installed and uninstalled it several times today, but nothing. On their FAQ they mention that this happens if you are in a network using a proxi server -which I'm not. I don't know what the problem is.

DMOZ won't have PageRank data. You'll have to visit http://directory.google.com/ to see the PageRank data incorporated into a moldy DMOZ directory.

I wonder whether Google is collecting data on the visits to sites by people with the toolbar to be used in the ranking algorithm? Anybody have any thoughts on that possibility?

That makes sense, Peter. I recall rumors some time ago that google was click counting, but noone could find a redirect through their links that could account for it.

I suppose if they leak that the algo includes google toolbar data, then every webmaster in the world will download it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

I surf via proxy, so I guess I'll pass for now, besides my IE handicap.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread