Thumbs down Stay away from this TURKEY
    Take my advice stay away from this one it's a Turkey.

Tracking is horrible - Limited Merchants.

Tried them for 1 day barely track impressions nevermind clicks.

Started getting merchant SPAM before I even had a link up.

_ DUMPED _

Affiliate Network Rep
    Dear janew

Thanks for letting us know about your LinkConnector experience. It is a shame that you didn't contact us when you were experiencing difficulties with your LinkConnector tracking. Many affiliates are promoting LinkConnector merchants and enjoying great success.

While I can't guarantee that we have a product or service for EVERY site, I believe our depth or merchants provides an opportunity for most affiliates. And new merchants are launching campaigns every week.

LinkConnector allows for Merchants to email Affiliates invitations to join their campaigns. Every Affiliate can opt-out of receiving these emails under main menu Account > Emails Receive/opt-out. Opting out of receiving emails does not prevent the merchant from pre-approving you for their campaign. You will find all campaign pre-approvals in your account under Offered Applications.

It is also difficult for me to respond to your particular situation given that I dont know who you are, what products you were promoting and the URLs for which you were approved for each campaign. If you wish to discuss this further or would like additional help with your affiliate account, please email support under the Help tab within your Affiliate manager. I will personally respond.

I hope to have the opportunity to help you with your account!
    Roz

Director - Affiliate Relations

LC has always worked ok here for the last year or so. Haven't done a whole lot but tracking seems fine and the payouts come as scheduled and expected.

I think janew must be posting abt his experience way back in early 2005
    when LinkConnector just got started. I have been with them since the early days, my feedback:
    - the interface is difference but comprehensive & intuitive.
    - the number of merchants has increase tremendously & is still
    growing everyday.
    - merchants search for affiliates & offer their programs instead of
    affiliates search for merchants & request application.
    - payment always arrive, although not as prompt as their stated
    payment date of 20th of every month
    - support is excellent, gets problem resolved with 24hrs.

As to the issue of tracking, LinkConnector requires links to be place on
    registered domain. For example if one sign up with http://www.xyz.com
    the links must be place on a page of that domain only, this excludes also
    subdomains eg http://123.xyz.com.

To put links on subdomains or other domains, affiliate must register those domains & reapply to relevant merchants, this is abit of a hassle.

Thumbs down
    >>>To put links on subdomains or other domains, affiliate must register those domains & reapply to relevant merchants, this is abit of a hassle.<<<

and possibly a bit anal retentive. I'd never consider this kind of routine.

You have to realize that all new technology may have certain bugs right out of the door. Given that..LC has a great idea, naked links, helps everyone. When they first started they were nowhere near where they are now.

They seem pretty solid to me and I have talked to some of their staff there.

When you had the tracking issue, the first thing you could have done is contact them.

Even some of the biggest networks have tracking issues.. When we do media buys we always have a standard tracking overage and underage clause, it's just part of doing business.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by OfferDepotAlan
    You have to realize that all new technology may have certain bugs right out of the door. Given that..LC has a great idea, naked links, helps everyone. When they first started they were nowhere near where they are now.
    Wow.

ABW Ambassador
    No, definitely not everyone. Naked links only help merchants - they do not help affiliates at all. Particularly with updating them under the merchant's control, it is a bad idea for affiliates from an SEO (and ultimately, a free traffic) viewpoint.

Sure, it's a great idea - ONLY for a merchant. You are a merchant, right Alan?

Actually I run a CPA network, run my own merchant products and I'm an affiliate for other products.

You're right from a SEO point of view this is probably not the best situation

But the SEO guys I work with concentrate more on off-page characteristics than on-page stuff so I'm a little biased.

ABW Ambassador
    But the SEO guys I work with concentrate more on off-page characteristics than on-page stuff so I'm a little biased.
    Exactly. Which is precisely why the major sales spin to merchants is the naked links for link-pop.

But let me tell you something - when the search engineers turn down the knobs on the value of IBLs in the algo, there are loads of SEOs out there who don't have a clue how to compensate with on-page and on-site criteria. You only have to peruse SEO forums to see that, people whining and begging for hints on what used to be normal, basic SEO - but those who know don't tell.

If some people have done nothing more than whoring after links for rankings, let them now start to learn on their own what they should have known all along. Seems the only ones who still remember how are a small number of diehards who have resisted the links craze, and black hat cloakers who never forgot.

You're right from a SEO point of view this is probably not the best situation
    You betcha! Giving over control of any aspect of a site to an outside party - like a merchant looking after what's good for THEM, is very, very unwise. Particularly, like how it's done in this case, it can make a MAJOR difference with rankings for the affiliate site with "at least one" major search engine out there.

Clue: "off-page " characteristics go further than just with and from other sites.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    But let me tell you something - when the search engineers turn down the knobs on the value of IBLs in the algo, there are loads of SEOs out there who don't have a clue how to compensate with on-page and on-site criteria. You only have to peruse SEO forums to see that, people whining and begging for hints on what used to be normal, basic SEO - but those who know don't tell.

Not wanting to put too fine of of a point on this..but I don't think search engineers will turn down the value of IBL. The entire backbone of google is based on links. If you haven't seen Sergey's and Page's page here it is
    http://hake.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html.

They basically take a search space and try and use extraneous info and narrow down the optimal search area. The extraneous info they choose is IBL. Not wanting to sound like more of a geek...but large scale search algorithms are extremely sensitive to the starting point. Without a good starting point there is no guarantee that an near optimal search will be found.

How many times have you searched on google and were amazed at how close the results were to what you wanted? Compare this to 2nd tier search engines.

ABW Ambassador
    If you haven't seen Sergey's and Page's page here it is
    http://hake.stanford.edu/~backrub/google.html.
    Yes, I've read it. That's the original "backrub" paper which explains the original underlying architecture of their engine. That doesn't mean that the infrastructure will never change in any way. That process is going on right now, which is what the BigDaddy update (if you can call it that) is all about - an entirely new infrastructure.

Then, there's also the subsequent paper published - about PageRank

The PageRank Citation Ranking: Bringing Order to the Web.

Not wanting to sound like more of a geek
    Doesn't bother me, I've gotten used to it over time.

They basically take a search space and try and use extraneous info and narrow down the optimal search area. The extraneous info they choose is IBL. Not wanting to sound like more of a geek...but large scale search algorithms are extremely sensitive to the starting point. Without a good starting point there is no guarantee that an near optimal search will be found.
    Actually, it isn't extraneous - the foundation of PageRank is links, based on a random walk theory.

In practical reality, however, algorithms are limited to mathematical notation, and in the case of links, they would represent spatial relationships. The basic components of links are nodes and edges, with measurement for the most part relating to distance (in the mathematical sense).

BUT there are any number of factors that can be given weight with regard to links, and in fact there are over 100 factors and criteria that go into Google's scoring process of websites. PR is computed separately and differently, but PR certainly isn't the only factor used for rankings, and never was.

Not wanting to put too fine of of a point on this..but I don't think search engineers will turn down the value of IBL
    What's missing is the fine point that IBLs are a multi-factor component of the algo, and any one of the components could be adjusted. Else there wouldn't be anything such as updates - and we know better.

If hypothetically (which is NOT so) it were all about IBLs and PageRank, then webmasters/affiliates would be dummies to link out, especially to merchants.

IF that were the case (which it isn't), they'd be wise to put a link condom on every single OBL on their site and keep all the PR for distribution on their own site pages. Actually, that isn't the case but it still isn't a bad idea to limit and be discretionary about OBLs - especially to bad neighborhoods and sites that are banned or have serious penalties.

Added:

Oh yeah, in addition to there having been over 100 factors in scoring, here's a patent issued just this past year

Information retrieval based on historical data

That gives some more to chew on.
    Last edited by webworker; March 9th, 2006 at 12:08 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    All that S/E stuff is way off topic, anyway. It's OK for merchants - but no advantage to affiliates whatsoever, certainly nothing worth contributing to merchants' rankings in competition with ourselves with no reward back.

I do agree that the SE stuff is off topic..But I really enjoyed reading your post. You know your SE stuff! Do you post in other forums? I would love to see more.

If your ever in Chicago or go to Ad-tech ..hit me up and I'll treat you to Starbucks.

Best of Luck.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    >Starbucks

Nah, webworker's knowledge and experience is worth far more than that, unless you are offering the whole Starbucks Company of course.
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

Ok OK you twisted my arm. Morton's SteakHouse but that's it

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread