Question Signature: what comes after &u1= ??
    A LinkShare Merchant link that has been properly appended with the Member ID identifier may look like this:<a href="http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=/FYI6fQ9PWs&offerid=7097.10000015&type=3&subid=0&u1=Bob123" >
    Who decides what comes after "&u1="

What if a webmaster prefers not to broadcast his/her login name/nick?

Is this something we need to notify Linkshare about?

What if Linkshare has dozens of members named Bob and what if more than one member starts to use subid=0&u1=Bob123 without being aware that the code will conflict because of the other 97 members named Bob in Linkshare?

The directions appear as if we can name the Signature Link anything we want but what about other members who have the same or similar names? Won't this affect tracking?

Btw, the Linkshare pdf file never opened for me. Shame on Linkshare for not attending to that detail right away.

I was lucky that a member here was kind enough to e-mail a working pdf file.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You can put whatever you want there.

Whatever the value you put there, it'll be reported on any sales made through the link.

So, for instance, if you have a page devoted to a specific product and you have a three affiliate links to the product (one above, one with the image, and one below, for instance), you could use "u1=above", "u1=image" and "u1=below" and you'll know which links are being clicked on and which links are generating sales.

For another example of how to use them, you might have four sites ("widgetfansite.com", "widgetsrus.com", "tripod.com/~widgets", and "widgetreviews.com", for instance). On the four sites, you might want to append "u1=widgetfansite", "u1=widgetsrus", "u1=tripod", and "u1=widgetreviews". In your reports, it'll be easy to see which site gets the traffic and sales.

Yet another example... You might want to dynamically append the user's IP address when they click through. For instance, "u1=123.124.125.126". Now, you would be able to see the IP addresses that generated sales and you should be able to track those back through your site to see where they came from and what pages they visited. It's not perfect, because IP addresses are sometimes shared, but it might be helpful.

It doesn't matter if other people use the same "u1=" parameters. You'll only see the ones you use and the sales you generate.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    You can put whatever you want there.

Whatever the value you put there, it'll be reported on any sales made through the link.

So, for instance, if you have a page devoted to a specific product and you have a three affiliate links to the product (one above, one with the image, and one below, for instance), you could use "u1=above", "u1=image" and "u1=below" and you'll know which links are being clicked on and which links are generating sales.

For another example of how to use them, you might have four sites ("widgetfansite.com", "widgetsrus.com", "tripod.com/~widgets", and "widgetreviews.com", for instance). On the four sites, you might want to append "u1=widgetfansite", "u1=widgetsrus", "u1=tripod", and "u1=widgetreviews". In your reports, it'll be easy to see which site gets the traffic and sales.
    Thanks, Michael, your above explanation is very helpful.

This next idea sounds good in theory but might be tricky?
    Yet another example... You might want to dynamically append the user's IP address when they click through. For instance, "u1=123.124.125.126"
    How would you write a code that captures each user's IP address? I assume you are describing the visitor's IP code and not mine?

It doesn't matter if other people use the same "u1=" parameters. You'll only see the ones you use and the sales you generate.
    Okay, thanks
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

It's just an example. If you're going to do something dynamic like that, you would need to know a programming language (like PHP).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It's just an example. If you're going to do something dynamic like that, you would need to know a programming language (like PHP).
    Okay, but could a PHP code be inserted there without interfering sales tracking?
    I'd hate to insert a program code that negates the whole thing!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread