Unhappy When is a lead not a lead?
    Hello all,

Trying to figure out if affiliate company is acting in good faith. Signed up with a mortgage company and am promoting using cj.com affiliate links. Had a lead that fulfilled their criteria for a lead. Here is the company provided definition: "Valid lead - complete and valid contact information including name, phone number, email, address, state, zip code, loan amount, property value, loan type, property location, self rated credit." The mortgage company gave me credit for the lead. Now after seven days, they reverse the credit. What gives? Based upon their definition of a lead, it was valid and validated by their form. I have not yet contacted them but was wondering if anyone had thoughts?

Best,

webbiz

I had something similar happen years ago. I signed up for life insurance through a company I was promoting. I got my life insurance (and still have it). They probably made hundreds on my initial policy and quite a bit each year through overrides. I made something like $7. And then they reversed it. I asked why. They said that the application had invalid data. I asked what data was invalid. They said it was the phone number. I asked what phone number was given. They couldn't tell me. Needless to say, I don't promote them any more.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I signed up for life insurance through a company I was promoting. I got my life insurance (and still have it).
    I made something like $7. And then they reversed it. I asked why. They said that the application had invalid data. I asked what data was invalid. They said it was the phone number. I asked what phone number was given. They couldn't tell me. Needless to say, I don't promote them any more.
    Michael.

I really don't mind getting a reversal if I am the one that make the purchase thru my own links but, if I know that I provided the right information and later they say that that information is not valid and that they can't tell me why, I would be worried about that company end results.

I know that as long as you're alive, it would be very dificult to check this out but:

Are you sure that the life insurance that you still have with them is valid?

Back on the early 90's I had a life insurance for $1M, but after I pay the monthly payments for about three years, I changed my mind about having a $1M life insurance at my age, so I canceled. A couple of years later, I was contacted by some company that had a big class action suit against that life insurance company, and while I decided not to get involved on any refunds, I was happy that I had cancelled my policy with them a few years early.

That's the only reason I decided to make this post.

Are you sure that the life insurance that you still have with them is valid?

Sal.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Were there any special terms against you yourself signing up through your own links and getting a commission? With lead programs, this is often the case. They may have matched your information on the form with the CJ information on file. They should be able to tell you what has happened. Perhaps check all available terms first.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Yes, I'm sure the life insurance in still valid. They were just a broker, not the insurance company. I have the printed copy of the policy and make the payments directly to the insurance company.

No, there was no policy against signing up through my own links. If they would have said it was a reversal for that reason, I would have understood. But they said it was an invalid application with a bad phone number, which wasn't the case.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Often times there are conditions set in the merchant agreement on what defines a "valid" lead. There could be a number of reasons why the lead was reversed depending on the information that the user input on their form. (ex: bad phone number, property value too low, loan amount too low, withdrawn, unable to contact, non-homeowner, etc..) you'll have to read over the agreement made with the merchant or contact them to see what gives. If you are not satisfied with your current merchant, try contacting America's Lending Partners. jmcginnis@lendingpartners.com.
    [FONT=Verdana]Chris Gates[/FONT]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    There always is the small print and huge hurdles negating paying the lead commission. Every one of those rejected, and marginal apps ,meanwhile get sold to every shanky lead broker and privacy info peddler who can breath. It's amazing to setup a brand new Yahoo e-mail account and fill out any branded financial related lead merchant's form. Watching that e-mail box, mailbox, fill up with the sold privacy info is an eye opener.... when your not answering telemarketing calls...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

While, yes there are very many shady lead type programs out there that may not pay on every lead they should. There are also just as many shady affiliates sending in the same lead over and over to 20 different merchants.

It's a tough industry to work in for sure. Many applications allow invalid information and it takes the merchant some time to realize that the number is invalid or the person doesn't exist. I've actually had clients of mine call up leads to find out the person had been dead for over a year so it goes both ways. They should easily be able to tell you why the lead was reversed though. If anyone would like to discuss anything to do with lead-gen or anything feel free to shoot me an email dan (at) partnercentric.com

ALP is one of those that reverses transactions at a drop of a hat. LCL and LMB have been rock solid though.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread