Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Would you pay for it?
    Iíve been going nuts lately, Itís one of those times where, itís just one thing after another.
    Iím not going to go into all the problems, but I would like to discuss one of them.

If your pet needed $3000.00 worth of surgery, would you do it?

Iíve been fighting with my wife, for two days now on the subject.

Donít get me wrong, I like our pets, but we really donít have the cash, and I really donít want to go into dept for it.

Now I know, Iíll probably catch a lot of flack from some, but I would rather spend the cash on 2nd car that we need, than a dog. My wife seems to think that the cash grows on trees, and we can pick it at will. Yet still complain about how much time, I spend on the computer trying to make cash.

Let me take a moment, and bang my head against the wall!
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    Iíve been going nuts lately, Itís one of those times where, itís just one thing after another.
    Iím not going to go into all the problems, but I would like to discuss one of them.

Iíve been fighting with my wife, for two days now on the subject.

Donít get me wrong, I like our pets, but we really donít have the cash, and I really donít want to go into dept for it.

Now I know, Iíll probably catch a lot of flack from some, but I would rather spend the cash on 2nd car that we need, than a dog. My wife seems to think that the cash grows on trees, and we can pick it at will. Yet still complain about how much time, I spend on the computer trying to make cash.

Let me take a moment, and bang my head against the wall!
    Oh man, this is a tough one TTW! You're gonna suffer no matter what choice you make, you know that already don't you? ;-)

No one here can make thqat choice or "guilt" you into the one you'll have to make on your own.

I have spent thousands of dollars I didn't have to get my cat surgery that saved his life. When my other cat needed "money" to help him overcome old age issues, my EX husband refused to let me spend any money to keep him alive (the cat would have been fine with some medical attention even though he was an old coot). In the vet's office when I asked to have the cat put to sleep, the vet tried to talk me out of it at which point my EX piped in that "this is the happiest day of my life. I hate that cat and am not gonna pay a dime to save it's life." Since hubby was working and I was taking care of the kids at that time, he figured he could play God. I would have spent whatever I needed to to save my cat if it was MY decision. This was one of the reasons we're no longer married but I swear I'm not trying to guilt you into saving your dog TTW. Just relaying what could potentially go through your wife's mind. Can you live with your family's grief but with a new car and feel OK about it? If yes, then there's your decision.

I think you have to look in your own heart and decide what is really best for your family at this time. Money's always an issue and causes so much grief when it's not plentiful.

Good luck. This one ain't at all easy.

If it makes you feel better, we'll still love you no matter what you decide.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Tax Paying Member
    I have the T-shirt
    I agree. It seems like a waste to spend that much on a pet repair bill.
    My wife just spent $2600.00 on our Jack Russell.

Bite the bullet other wise you will never be forgiven.

is better than

$2600.00? ....I need some sales..................

I did spend that much and more on my dog. I was glad I had the money at the time to do it and was happy for the extra time we could spend with Duke.

Another dog was sick last summer and no ammount of money would have made him well. I still miss Rocky.

They were more than just "dogs" to me. I loved them.

Thankfully I had the support of my husband who knew how much they meant to me.
    Ebudae

I don't know if you have heard of Dave Ramsey (daveramsey.com) but I would email or call him about your situation. It is a tough one because debt sucks and marriage is not easy. I would also seek a second opinion from another vet.

Best of luck to you!

I've spent close to a thousand dollars on my dog the past month.

It's rarely as simple as "spend the 3,000 or not."

Things to consider:

Is there a cheaper solution?

What will the result be if you do it. And if you don't? Will the pet die, or be crippled, or in pain, or limp, or just have a shorter life expectancy?

How sure is it to fix the problem?
    Is the pet old and likely to die of something else soon?
    How long/hard/expensive would the recovery period be?
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Do this.
    Agree with her say fine lets get the dogs surgery. Then tell her to get dressed and bring any important documents that you and her need to goto the bank get a second mortgage to pay for the dogs surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Do this.
    Agree with her say fine lets get the dogs surgery. Then tell her to get dressed and bring any important documents that you and her need to goto the bank get a second mortgage to pay for the dogs surgery.
    Good idea, but we already have a second mortgage.
    How about bankruptcy court.

Build a pet products website, something fast and tell your visitors that the income from the site will go for your pet's surgery first. Continually to post the progress of income from the your site and the process of your pet's surgery to make it interesting. After that's done, donate some of income to the animal rights related charities, continue to mention this on your website. You might even get some buzz for it, which may expedite the process.

If you're able to get a 0% introductory rate credit card and charge this expense to it, a decent site could bring in enough cash to make the monthly payments on it by the time introductory offer expires.

Also, by saving your pet's life, you will be doing good Karma. I believe in it.

Good luck.

For me it would depend on the age of the pet, diagnosis for good quality of life for the pet after procedures are done. I've spent a fortune on my furry friends, but I've also had to make that decision to say enough is enough.

Sometimes you can get a vet to lower the cost of the procedures if you let them know you just can't afford it and would like to save your pet. I'd also recommend you get a 2nd opinion if possible.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

The way I see it, you bought the animal, it's a part of your family and you have to take care of it no matter how much the bills are, if you can't afford a pet then get a tamagotchi. Second car, take a bus. There is a thing called pet insurance, for $10 or so a month you wouldn't have this problem. Sorry for being so blunt but that's how I feel about these things. If the animal is put down due to financial restraints, please don't buy another animal as comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by missdonna
    I've spent close to a thousand dollars on my dog the past month.

It's rarely as simple as "spend the 3,000 or not."

Things to consider:

Is there a cheaper solution?

What will the result be if you do it. And if you don't? Will the pet die, or be crippled, or in pain, or limp, or just have a shorter life expectancy?

How sure is it to fix the problem?
    Is the pet old and likely to die of something else soon?
    How long/hard/expensive would the recovery period be?
    Nicely summed up Donna. Good rational thinking in an emotionally charged situation is a gift.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by JJJay
    The way I see it, you bought the animal, it's a part of your family and you have to take care of it no matter how much the bills are, if you can't afford a pet then get a tamagotchi. Second car, take a bus. There is a thing called pet insurance, for $10 or so a month you wouldn't have this problem. Sorry for being so blunt but that's how I feel about these things. If the animal is put down due to financial restraints, please don't buy another animal as comfort.
    This is all well and good before the hits it and it's easy to conclude if you adore pets and animals in general but not so easy to see if you have obligations to maintain a family. A good friend and I are no longer talking because last year, when I was going through a rough time, my dog was acting strange. She insisted I take him to the vet, even though I was barely keeping food on the table for my kids. She said "You'll take him to the vet and pay whatever it takes or give him up to someone who WILL." It was such a *****y thing to say, especially because I would have done anything to save him if it came down to it but it (thankfully) turned out to be nothing. My last words to her were: Oh then I suppose I should give my KIDS up because I can't take care of them either." She is an animal rescue worker so passions were high on both ends but that's not something I needed to be 'ordered' under the circumstances.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

First things first!

Now, depending on how long you have that dog on your family, I would get a second and third opinion from another vets first, even if it cost me a few extra hundres on vet bills just to make sure that my dog would cost me $3000.00 worth of surgery in order to save his live.

Second! (talking about dog years)

If that dog was involved on my family for over three years, that dog it's just like a family member, so I would do what ever it takes to cure that dog.

But if that dog is just a regular dog that we got a coulpe of years ago, and my kid's are not that infatuated with that dog, then and only then, I will be worring about those $3000.00 worth of surgery bill, in order to keep that dog on this planet with our family for a little longer.

You have to remember that all living things on this planet, where are we talking about pet's, humans, or anything else, eventually we all have to go to the other side one day, so it would be up to you to decide if you want to extend your dog visa on earth for a few more years, or let life take it normal course, and what ever that would be will be.

Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    Build a pet products website, something fast and tell your visitors that the income from the site will go for your pet's surgery first. Continually to post the progress of income from the your site and the process of your pet's surgery to make it interesting. After that's done, donate some of income to the animal rights related charities, continue to mention this on your website. You might even get some buzz for it, which may expedite the process.

If you're able to get a 0% introductory rate credit card and charge this expense to it, a decent site could bring in enough cash to make the monthly payments on it by the time introductory offer expires.

Also, by saving your pet's life, you will be doing good Karma. I believe in it.

Good luck.
    I love this idea! It's great! What do you think would be the best pet aff program to use for it?

We ran into that situation last year with Maxwell, our then 12 year old German Shepard. Max has always been a good dog and excellent family member. Last year he was diagnosed with anal gland cancer. I have never heard of it before, but the vets told us that most large dogs only live to be about 12 because they have to be put down at that time for either hip problems or anal gland cancer.

On top of the surgery costs, every vet we spoke to (we got three opinions) recommended follow-up treatments costing from $6,000 to $10,000. It was a real tough decision to make because we didn't want Max to spend his final days either sick from chemotherapy or radiation treatments. We did decide to do the surgery, which cost $3,000. But decided to forgo about the follow-up advice.

Today, Max appears to be healthy and happy and we hope to spend another couple of years with him. I'm glad that we did the surgery, but equally glad that we didn't follow the absurd advice regarding follow-up treatments. A dog would not understand why he was being taken in for weekly chemo or radiation treatments that just make him sick.

This is always a tough decision, but it's tougher when your family friends are no longer in their prime. In this case, I think we made the best decision for Max.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    For me it would depend on the age of the pet, diagnosis for good quality of life for the pet after procedures are done. I've spent a fortune on my furry friends, but I've also had to make that decision to say enough is enough.
    I agree with this. You and your wife, both, have to use good common sense. I used to own real estate as some of you know. I don't think it is right to choose the life of a pet over the very roof over your children's heads. If it is that dire a situation, I am sorry, but the pet must be given a kind exit from the situation. Your first responsibility is to see to the physical well being of your human family, then, other species.

However, if you do not want to be a dirty dog, forever, your wife must also agree. Don't let her off the hook in making the hard choices in your marriage. You must come together on this. If it can be done, defer to her wishes, bite the bullet and pay for the pet's care without begrudging the money in any way. Just consider it an all strings free gift from the heart. If you can't in good conscience do it, decide that together and grieve together.

If it is something that can be negotiated, for instance, "If we fix the pet, I get a new car," you are already a damned dirty dog and deserve the mercy and kindness you are willing to give!
    Last edited by SSanf; February 18th, 2006 at 08:37 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I've saved dogs at great expense and I've had dogs put to sleep, too. The deciding factor for me has always been how much the dog would suffer. Dogs don't understand why they're sick or in pain so we humans have to decide what is acceptable suffering or hardship *for them*, not for us.

I once made the mistake of asking our vet to do something heroic to save a dog, only to have the dog die from the treatment rather than the disease. He suffered because of the treatment and his situation was hopeless. At the time I thought I was doing something good for my dog, but in retrospect I realized that I was motivated by my desire to keep him with me a little longer. It was a bad, selfish, cowardly decision. I won't make that mistake again.

These decisions aren't easy but I have to say, from my point of view, the money issue is the last thing I would take into consideration when making my decision.

TTW, if money was no object, would you have the surgery done? I think that's how I'd look at it. Because there are always ways to scrape together a few more bucks if you have to, so my advice, for what it's worth, is go with your heart on this one. I'm sorry you have such an awful decision to make.

"Build a pet products website, something fast and tell your visitors that the income from the site will go for your pet's surgery first."

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    I love this idea! It's great! What do you think would be the best pet aff program to use for it?
    Pet RX and supplies are good. COnsider many pet owners in the same situation and pet lovers will visit. Also Adsense!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    "Build a pet products website, something fast and tell your visitors that the income from the site will go for your pet's surgery first."

Pet RX and supplies are good. COnsider many pet owners in the same situation and pet lovers will visit. Also Adsense!
    Thanks for the info Rexanne.

The vet says that the dog has double hip dysplasia. Will probably need two, one for each hip. Wife is going to take the dog to a surgeon in march, to find out all the info.

We have spent money on fixing our cat when he was hit my a car. I didn't like spending the money but I figure our cat is part of our family and when we got him I felt that we were making a commitment to care for him. Plus, money comes and goes, wives and husbands sometimes stay forever.

Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    Go the the office of your local newpaper and/or local news show.

Explain the situation. They will often do a story piece on situations such as this. You might either get a vet to offer their services for free (they wil get good advertising for it) or get many who will help contribute to the cause. Also contact your local ASPCA, Bide-a-wee (no sure of spelling), and I wish that I could think of the name of the animal cause that Pamela Anderson pushes--they could be an incredible help if approached the right way.

I'd sell a kidney before I'd forgo the operation (if after the operation the dog would not be in any pain). When my mother was dying I had to make the decision to continue to have her hang on or to let her go. Although for my own selfish reasoning I could not let her go, I knew I had to think of what was best for her.
    Think what would be best for the animal, not your wife's or your feelings.
    Last edited by westgroup; February 19th, 2006 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Opera smiley's apear where I typed operation-kinda weird-sorry can't get rid of them

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    How old is the dog?

We had a 11-yr old dog that got cancer. We could have spent a lot of money to possibly prolong it's life another year or two. Instead, we spent $50 in pain killers and then had it put to sleep a month later.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    How old is the dog?
    Believe it or not, this dog is only 11 months old. Itís a Golden Retriever, that I purchased as a present for my wife. I really did get ripped off, but thatís besides the point.

A big thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Some of them are great!

Iím going to put implementing them on hold for now, because until the dog has the consult with the surgeon, I donít know if she is even a candidate for the surgery, or for sure how much it costs. Will just have to wait and see.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast