Ms Dumb Ass ... but, *NOT* Today! westgroup's Avatar
    Credit Cards--Miles or Cash Back
    Can anyone suggest a good credit card that either has a cash back or gives miles?

I had received what appeared to be a good deal for Capitol One but my dog ate it (honestly). I figured that since I spend so much money online I might as well get some benefit from using a cc.

Thanks!

Try this one, "Earn up to 5% cash rebate", it doesn't say how much you got to spend, its a business card.

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...1,20201,00.asp

Token "Canadian" Cool Guy Ryan@MB's Avatar
    I don't have a card to suggest because there are different choices between here (Canada) and the States. I myself have the one that rewards you with points. They build up fast and you can redeem them for pretty much anything.
    Ryan MacWha
    Merchant Manager
    [b]We’ll help you build your affiliate program[/b]
    [b][URL="http://www.maxbounty.com"]MaxBounty 2.0[/URL][/b]

I recently switched to the Starwood American Express. It's only $30 per year (free the first year), and Starpoints can be transferred to most major US airlines (American, Delta, United, Continental, US Airways, and more) plus they give a 5,000 mile bonus for every 20,000 miles transferred, so you effectively earn 1.25 miles per dollar spent. I highly recommend it.

I also use a Citi Dividend Rewards Mastercard, which gives 5% cash back (up to $300 per year) on gas, grocery, and pharmacy purchases. I only use that for gas, groceries, and pharmacy purchases.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I like two of my cards: Delta Airmiles AmEx and Chase Ultimate Rewards MasterCard. The first one - much better than the latter. Besides good miles, AmEx offers me extremely nice balance transfer APR (as low as 3.99%) with no transfer fee...

Geno

Thanks for all the suggestions. I figure I'm charging $5,000 or so a month so bonuses should add up pretty fast.
    I can't believe that I waited this long. I get a huge duh.

On the AmEx card I've mentioned, spendings like that will translate into a free roundtrip ticket from anywhere in the US to any where in Europe within around 10 months... Plus if you've flying from a set location to a set location and return from the same to the same (say it's LA to Moscow and back to LA), you can actually fly through yet another location on the way (say, London) and stay there for as long as 30 days, and THEN fly to Moscow... That's what I did last Spring. Good fun.

Let me just emphasize the Starwood Amex again. Rather than being tied to a specific airline, they have dozens of airline partners (including most of the major ones: American, Delta, United, Continental, and US Airways) and you get a 5,000 mile bonus for every 20,000 Starpoints you transfer, so you effectively get 1.25 miles per dollar spent.

You also have the comfort of knowing that your points/miles are sitting at Starwood, rather than at an airline that might go bankrupt. I don't think miles have ever been lost in a bankruptcy, but it's something that has concerned me the past several years.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Let me just emphasize the Starwood Amex again. ......... You also have the comfort of knowing that your points/miles are sitting at Starwood, rather than at an airline that might go bankrupt. I don't think miles have ever been lost in a bankruptcy, but it's something that has concerned me the past several years.
    My dad (80th B-day next week) uses this one for a free trip every year. He's so creative in the use of the card to build up his miles. He can afford to pay cash for most anything, but he uses the cc to buy cars, motorhome, and other big ticket items. Then pays off full balance with each statement to avoid paying interest. He even used the card to make a down payment for my sister's house. She paid him back in cash and he got enough points for a trip to Hawaii.
    ~Ernie

WooHoo! Just applied for Starwood & got a $65,500 credit line. My others are just 50,000 so this is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by westgroup
    WooHoo! Just applied for Starwood & got a $65,500 credit line. My others are just 50,000 so this is pretty cool.
    Congratulations! Just don't spend them all within one month.

Geno

Why not? If she spent 65,000 per month, she would earn almost a million frequent flyer points per year. Can you say "First Class Around The World Trips"?

I don't have quite that much in business expenses every month, but I still earn enough miles that we usually take at least half a dozen free flights (many First Class, which is usually less than twice as many miles as Coach) every year.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I wasn't sure if it's a personal or a business credit card. I did assume that it is a personal one, and 65k a month is frankly a bit too much...

Geno

I think I'd freak out if I charged anywhere near my credit limit. Not really sure why I get such high limits. Yes, I do have a good credit score but I don't charge more then I need to, and my husbands credit sucks big time.
    Maybe this is a hint that I should buy a butt load of powerball tickets, win big and retire...don't I wish.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread