Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Let's all do the Google dance.. The new index is now online at www3.google.com.. and it's one sweet update :cool:

ABW Ambassador
    Dang TK, I thought I was the only nut up at 4 am. The googlebot has danced. WooooHooo!!!!! This will be sweet!!!!

Hale our beloved Googlebot!!

*Jumps up and down, does the dance of joy*

Yes, yes, it was very good indeed!!!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dang TK, I thought I was the only nut up at 4 am. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh.. but I'm an Aussie.. It's 7pm on Sunday here..

ABW Ambassador
    OH, Alrighty then. I guess I'm the only nut up at this hour. LOL!!!

So far I'm not too happy. I lost some keywords that were top listed. Now how in bazooka does that happen?? And can I possibly get them back in with the next update???

That's hard to determine without knowing your sites or the search terms you were after.. There's a lot of factors that are outside your control - such as the introduction of new sites into the index.. Have you changed your sites at all? If not, have you added new sites into the mix and crosslinked them? I've had rankings go down before from certain crosslinks impacting the keyword relevancy of the site. You need to get the links.. but you also have to be careful with the introduction of anything new to sites already top listed.. If they are already at the top - you leave them alone..

Why are you up at 4am anyways!!???

ABW Ambassador
    I couldn't sleep. I went to bed to early and then work up at 2 am. So are you saying that if I have a site top listed I shouldn't add the new sites links to it. I am so disapointed right now. But I think one of the main reasons that I lost some top listing that were on the first page was because at one point last month my sites were all done and google was crawling at that time. So some sites that had good rankings are now gone and it has the dum error message for my sites listings. That's how I know my site was done. So will google still crawl my sites next month and maybe I can get these keywords back??

If it was just the server being down, and you still maintain links to those sites, then they will show up again after another update..

That's why you need to reinvest a few of those bucks into some paid hosting.. better yet, get yourself a dedicated server.. rackshack has them from $99 a month and they can house a lot of sites..

ABW Ambassador
    I think I lost about 80% of my listings. Wow - this is really disappointing and I blame it all on my host being down. Because sites were spidered while my site was down and it shows for the results. Luckily I just got a site listed in yahoo that's topping #1 and #3 for some major keywords so I should be okay. But wow this hurts. All that hard work down the drain. I lost like 60 keywords in google.

I have alot of work to do from now until November 5th or so. ANY TIPS or Suggestions are welcomed.

Signing off - Sad Jada [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Wow! When is this update going live?
    I think I might need some more bandwidth [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Jada - sorry to hear about the lost listings, maybe Google will forgive you next month.. good luck! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: spiderman ]

ABW Ambassador
    I know, I hope so. I'm like WOW - what did I do wrong. But I noticed some sites never lose their rankings. I thought if you crossed linked your sites you would rank high. Anyone have any comments on this? Should I not link certain sites together. Or do you think it's mainly because my sites were down. Some sites lost rankings and they weren't down - but then too, I changed some metatags to try to rank higher and lost words altogether from that too. I think I'll change it back and try to rank high for words that are searched for a few thousands times instead of 50,000 times. The competitions to tough for those rankings.

Somebody give me a hope of light that google will forgive me next month and that I may get my listings back.

Ps. I will be signing off Sad Jada Until the next update.

Signing off - Sad Jada
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: JadaKiss ]

ABW Ambassador
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I did manage to get a #5 and #12 spot for two major keywords one is searched for 9,500 xs and the other 5,500 xs. Okay, well at least google is feeding me and not sending me to my room with nothing to eat. LOL!!

But still until next time..

Hey Jada,
    Sorry to hear about your google problem. Did you pay for inclusion in Yahoo? If so, how much <gulp>content</gulp> is there, or were you able to keep it mostly a shopping mall type of look and still get in?

Google doesn't do meta tags, so I doubt that was it. Did you do anything else to those pages (change alt tags on images?)? Also, if your link pop was dependant on the pages that were down, that could also help count for a drop in pages that weren't off line when dear googlebot (may it ever live long and send us profitable traffic) came around.

Keep up the persistance, and google will smile upon you once again,I'm sure. :cool:

jada - I added more cross links and this seems to have helped, also used and optimizer to clean up my page text

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: spiderman ]

ABW Ambassador
    TK - yes I still have the links. I am PAYING for hosting for the majority of my sites and they are all with the same host - which I still will say is very reliable. I have been with them for about 3 years not and have only NEVER had a problem until a few months ago when they really big virus hit. Well they got hit and that's why the server was down. It was only down for less than 24 hours while they were repairing and revamping their system and it has been fine ever since. I have NEVER had any other problems with them. It happened on 2 occassions and that was it. But yes, that downtown has obviously affected me this month, but I don't anticipate it happening again.

ABW Ambassador
    Totally unrelated - what are the brown circle dots under our member name? What do they mean?

Hi Jada!

Sorry to hear about what happened!

>they are all with the same host

That might be a problem :/ I think you are best off with different hosts. If the IP addresses are too similar I don't think Google likes that.

f

Jada, I think they are supposed to be red lights with the black working as a shadow.

Anyways they show your member status. a newbie get one a member two and so on up to five for administraters

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Heyder ]

Top of the morning all!

Jada, I had really bad luck last month when Google came by when the index page only had a memorial for 9-11. Google still sent along traffic though.

This month Google seemed to sense that I was doing a lot of updating on my pages and some of the results are very fresh. So hopefully you will get a good listing next time!

I really took advantage of the month and worked on my pages and links. You do the same and it will all work out in the wash. And it is good that you are ranked for some of those harder keywords, so you didn't do too bad. Keep on the bright side and good luck for next month!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Webmistress, thanks for the ray of hope. Yes, I paid for inclusion in yahoo. This is the 4th site that I managed to get in. I think each category varies for its strictness on content. But I would advise you to take a look at what sites are already in that category and always look at the new sites which have been added to that category as well to get an idea of how much content will be enough. The sites I submitted had alot of content and were 5-8 page sites.

As far as my google woes, yes, some of the sites that helped increase my link popularity were at the time the spider was crawling. Some pages that had high link popularity and good google placement were spidered while down thus losing their placement. I am very hopeful that our sweet googlebot will shines it's rays on me agaub next month as it has been ever so faithful to me. I won't give up hope.

Signing Off - Sad Jada [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks alot Vicky. I will definately keep my head up, up, up!!!

Signing Off - Okay, maybe I'm can stop signing off as Sad Jada now. You guys made me feel better.

Signing Off - Hopeful Jada [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Well, I have been checking www3.google.com and I must say I'm very disappointed [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I did lots of cross-linking, optimized and yes, my pages were added, but the key words never come up in some. Where do you put the keywords, anyway? I know that google doesn't count meta tags, so I added some in the title, but apparently that didn't work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Man, I don't have a job (not by choice) and I was hopping to have some cash for Christmas. I really had my hopes up. humm I feel a bit like crying now, lol

Not trying to spam this address, but it is one of the best boards for search engine optimization info. Use the search function to find out specific topics (like keyword density, etcc)
    Search Engine Forums . There are some folks there who know a whole lot more than most of us. I only lurk there, but it's almost time to ask some questions.

Google been berry, berry good to me. But my brainstorms didn't come up this index (didn't really think they would, they are pretty new).

And Jada, thanks for the pearls of yahoo wisdom. My big content site is in yahoo...boy did I blow it by contesting getting put in the web hosting category!!! hahahahaha, stupid, stupid, stupid.

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: webmistress ]

I put keyword-rich text in title, description and abstract tags... not sure about the abstract tag - anyone else use it?
    I also changed the first sentence on the page to 'heading 2'.. read somewhere that it help - any ideas?
    What keywords are you targetting for the next google updates? I'm going to try for 'american flags' (400,000 pages listed!) and 'flag pins' (90,000)

ABW Ambassador
    Webmistress - also keep in mind now for future submissions that yahoo totally rearranged the way it pulls search results. All the little tricks aren't as effective anymore such as titling your site !Shop-Online or 123-Shop-Online. That will get at the top of the listing if someone actually goes through the directory but not if they do a search through the actual search box. Now the listings and categories are all mixed up when people do searches. Which I have found has helped my listings tremendously. So now the key is to have an excellent title that has a major keyword that you want your site to come up under and also make sure the title on your site and copyright information at the bottom of your site match the title you are submitting to yahoo. Otherwise they won't accept it.

Also, yahoo has never submitted my site to two categories when recommended. Only the first category.

Good luck with your future submissions.

Signing off - Hopeful Jada [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast