Massive clicks are NOT fraud!
    I use Xenu's Link Sleuth (TM) to check for broken links.

The crawler checks every link on every page generated by the datafeed. It appears that the crawler causes a click, which in my case was generated on northern tool -- 7,996 clicks in one day.

The crawler, however, does not trigger a click on Adsense. CJ obviously does not have this protection!

How many other crawlers generate false clicks?

Sales and traffic are bad enough, but do we have any assurance that even the clicks we get are real. AF managers will need to be careful, before they determine someone is stuffing the cookie jar!

Affiliate Manager
    7,996 clicks in one day
    Ouch... big time EPC killer.

Quote Originally Posted by geezer
    The crawler, however, does not trigger a click on Adsense. CJ obviously does not have this protection!
    AdSense ads are JavaScript-driven. There's no way for a robot/crawler/spider visits to register as clicks. If GoogleBot generated AdSense clicks - that would've been too funny.

CJ links are plain HTML. Robot follows the link - it would be considered a legitimate click, unless CJ implements and maintains a list of all known spider's IP addresses to simply NOT count visits coming from these IPs.

Being a manager of many CJ programs I looove those Spider programs =) I always contact anyone who sends in an absurd amount of clicks with no sales and it's usually the case of the spider working. Now, if I saw someone with 20 conversions and 22 clicks, that screams fraud at me =)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fink
    Being a manager of many CJ programs I looove those Spider programs =) I always contact anyone who sends in an absurd amount of clicks with no sales and it's usually the case of the spider working. Now, if I saw someone with 20 conversions and 22 clicks, that screams fraud at me =)

What would you class as an 'absurd' amount of clicks? ie if i send 10,000 clicks and get about 400 sales & 50 leads would you class this as absurd?
    Just interested

I think it's more a combination of the following:

1) A major spike in clicks. If you average 10 clicks per month and you get 10,000 in one day, that will get some attention.

2) A large number of non-converting clicks. If you get 10,000 clicks with no sales or only a few sales, that will get some attention.

Even though it might not be fraud, many affiliate managers (especially on CJ where the merchant's EPC is public) will give close scrutiny to affiliates that fit those criteria.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by stancrazy
    What would you class as an 'absurd' amount of clicks? ie if i send 10,000 clicks and get about 400 sales & 50 leads would you class this as absurd?
    Just interested
    I'm mostly referring to thousands of clicks with no sales at all. If your sending in clicks and sales then it's less likely to send up a red flag. When I see thousands of clicks with no sales I start to worry that a possibly download affiliate has entered into my program or someone who is just sending it to garbage traffic sites.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread