Have Patience.....I am a true Newbie....
    Hi everyone, I have a stupid newbie question....
    I am just starting out, (html course, reading forums, reading books) totally just starting out. My goal is to be an affilliate from Sharasale. I do not know which companies I will be using yet....
    My stupid question....
    Is it best to sign up and get your website on line first and ask questions later when they come up or is it best to find out everything you can BEFORE putting a website out there? It is just that I do not know what questions to ask as I do not have the experience yet...
    Are my steps as follows:
    make website HTML
    domain name register
    pay monthly fee and hope someone hits your website?
    Sorry, I know you can't get much newer than me
    I would really appreciate the help or advise.......
    Thanks
    Taffy

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    for best results approach this as a long-term effort..
    Hi Taffy.. don't pick a merchant/network and build a site around it in hopes of performance from that site.. rather, pick a topic you're passionate about, build Build BUILD a site around that topic, and only after you have dozens (or better yet hundreds) of uniquely written content pages you can find a merchant that fits. Build/learn/publish first.. monetize later.

Search this forum and read about 'value-add' sites and 'thin affiliate' sites and you'll better understand what I mean.

Best of luck... Gary M

Thanks Gary for the input
    I will check those sites out
    I feel very green when it comes to this forum, hopefully I will catch up soon...its driving me crazy! ......just when i feel i am getting familiar with something.....i realize.......i'm not!
    Taffy

Hi Taffy .... you have a lot of reading ahead of you, as well as trial & error web building practices to go through as a "newbie". Don't get discouraged ... as Gary pointed out, pick a topic that YOU are passionate about (keeps you interested while you learn).

There's a multitude of free resources available on the internet to fully explain the basics of HTML and the implementation of various scripting language functions to assist you in building a rocking site.

If you really want to grab the bull by the horns and get right down to business .. then there are a couple of really good (pay) tutorial sites that I would recommend visiting.

http://www.sitepoint.com
    http://www.lynda.com

You may also want to check out our free resources and tutorials to assist you in practicing and testing your web building techniques as you build your pages.

Best-o-luck!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Bear in mind that content isn't everything I have very little content that is written by myself as well as many other people ranking well

So it means that no money in nearest months !!!!

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Hi Taffy. Welcome.

I'm still new myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I can give you a little perspective from a new Affiliate Manager's point of view.

If your goal is to make some money with your site there are a few things you'll need to do first.

In order to attract "visitors" and get "traffic" you'll need to have something that people want. The two types of people searching around on the web are, 1. those that want to buy something now and 2. those that are looking for information/facts/reviews about something. The 2s might want to buy something later (maybe).

Some people build sites for 1. and some for 2. Others build sites for both. The content of your web site will be determined by which surfer you want to attract. Shopping sites have "buying related" content and value added sites have "subject related" content. For example, if someone searches for information about the "golf swing", the content would be related to any and everything about the golf swing.

Just remember there is another "visitor" you want to come to your site...the search engines (SEs). The search engines send a "spider" to crawl your site and analyze it's value in terms of content. They know that people use SEs to search for "content" and they want to make sure their search results are as relevant as possible to their customers' needs (that's their business). Utimatelly where you come up in the SEs, your page rank (PR) will be determined by how the SEs have rated your site in terms of relevancy to the terms their users type in.

So the link between the SEs and your site is the keywords that the surfer types into the engine. Before you can build any content you need to understand what keywords people are searching with. Some people analyze the most popular keywords using Wordtracker before they even begin to write content...or choose a domain name. They then build content and choose their domain based on the most popular keywords, so that the link between the searcher and their site is more direct. Hopefully the spiders will find their site more attractive and more often.

Some people spend months building content pages that will be appreciated by both searchers and the SEs. They don't even put up any merchant links until they have good traffic and a strong PR. They then ad merchants that are relevant to the content on their sites and useful to their visitors. Wether that merchant is on Shareasale or LinkShare or Commission Junction is less important than whether that merchant is "right" for their traffic and can turn that traffic into revenue.

From an AMs point of view, I want to partner with sites that have strong traffic and great content that brands and supports my value proposition. After all, those affiliates are my sales team. Those are the affiliates that I know will be successful and I want in my program. Those are the partners I will work hard to support and pay well.

That's just a brief overview and only my opinion. There's much more to it than that and I'm sure other people will give you their own perspectives. I can tell you that ABW is a great place to find out the rest of the story.

-hint: use the "search" function to review the years of information here

Good Luck!

Great info! You summed it up pretty well. Here is my two cents as well:

Put something up right away. It is easier to learn and revise than it is to plan everything out in advance. In fact, your website is never going to be perfect. If you are playing any type of video game, do you read the entire manual first, and read all the reviews and 'walk throughs' before even starting the first level? And if you can't beat the game in one try do you give up? Of course not. Load up your site, get comfortable with building html, try your hand at the very difficult task of actually getting people to visit your site, LEARN TO ENJOY THE BUILDING PROCESS, and then worry about making money from it.

Thumbs up
    Hi Taffy, I am a newbie at this too. This is only my second week as an affiliate manager. I walked into this experience with no knowledge what so ever. I am getting trained, but it takes a huge part of yourself, outside of work to learn this material on your own. I'm reading books, articles, and these forums and doing what ever I can to educate myself just like you. Thought maybe we could help each other out with this very important learning process.

Once we get over the hump, we are going to be fine.

Please let me know how everything is going?

Good Luck, Tiffany

I know it is hard, but try to focus on the users of your site and what they want instead of focusing on how you will make money. If you can build a site that people will return to and will tell other people about, you will have many options for monetizing your traffic.

I'd say to pick an SaS merchant who carries products you have knowledge about or are interested in yourself.

Then build a quick-and-dirty site to "sell" those products, knowing that you'll either throw the site away soon or rebuild it from scratch.

Which you _will_ want to do, because of all you'll have learned while making that site and seeing what works and what doesn't.

"Learn by doing" is a good way to really learn.
    A joy shared is a joy doubled.
    A burden shared is a burden lightened.

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by TiffanyHonigman
    Hi Taffy, I am a newbie at this too. This is only my second week as an affiliate manager. I walked into this experience with no knowledge what so ever. I am getting trained, but it takes a huge part of yourself, outside of work to learn this material on your own. I'm reading books, articles, and these forums and doing what ever I can to educate myself just like you. Thought maybe we could help each other out with this very important learning process.

Once we get over the hump, we are going to be fine.

Please let me know how everything is going?

Good Luck, Tiffany

Hey, I' newbie too, nice too meet you, I would like to get in touch with you, so we can help each other

Cool?

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaGolf
    Hi Taffy. Welcome.

I'm still new myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I can give you a little perspective from a new Affiliate Manager's point of view.

If your goal is to make some money with your site there are a few things you'll need to do first.

In order to attract "visitors" and get "traffic" you'll need to have something that people want. The two types of people searching around on the web are, 1. those that want to buy something now and 2. those that are looking for information/facts/reviews about something. The 2s might want to buy something later (maybe).

Some people build sites for 1. and some for 2. Others build sites for both. The content of your web site will be determined by which surfer you want to attract. Shopping sites have "buying related" content and value added sites have "subject related" content. For example, if someone searches for information about the "golf swing", the content would be related to any and everything about the golf swing.

Just remember there is another "visitor" you want to come to your site...the search engines (SEs). The search engines send a "spider" to crawl your site and analyze it's value in terms of content. They know that people use SEs to search for "content" and they want to make sure their search results are as relevant as possible to their customers' needs (that's their business). Utimatelly where you come up in the SEs, your page rank (PR) will be determined by how the SEs have rated your site in terms of relevancy to the terms their users type in.

So the link between the SEs and your site is the keywords that the surfer types into the engine. Before you can build any content you need to understand what keywords people are searching with. Some people analyze the most popular keywords using Wordtracker before they even begin to write content...or choose a domain name. They then build content and choose their domain based on the most popular keywords, so that the link between the searcher and their site is more direct. Hopefully the spiders will find their site more attractive and more often.

Some people spend months building content pages that will be appreciated by both searchers and the SEs. They don't even put up any merchant links until they have good traffic and a strong PR. They then ad merchants that are relevant to the content on their sites and useful to their visitors. Wether that merchant is on Shareasale or LinkShare or Commission Junction is less important than whether that merchant is "right" for their traffic and can turn that traffic into revenue.

From an AMs point of view, I want to partner with sites that have strong traffic and great content that brands and supports my value proposition. After all, those affiliates are my sales team. Those are the affiliates that I know will be successful and I want in my program. Those are the partners I will work hard to support and pay well.

That's just a brief overview and only my opinion. There's much more to it than that and I'm sure other people will give you their own perspectives. I can tell you that ABW is a great place to find out the rest of the story.

-hint: use the "search" function to review the years of information here

Good Luck!
    Thank you so very much,... this is one of the best "Newbie" post I ever read so far,...

Thank you for this very valuable opinion,... I hope you don't mind, I book marked this post,... THNX !!!

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread