WebMerge recommendation
    I have been reading a lot here and on the tutorial pages but haven't used WebMerge yet except the free version although I have purchased it. The program looks like it will help me do great things, well, for me simi-great. I want to suggest something that I think would help. The "OpenOffice" file formats should be included in a future release of WebMerge becase it has a good spreadsheet and database program that is FREE and will read Microsoft file formats. If you're not familiar with this program just go to www.openoffice.org. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyoung
    I have been reading a lot here and on the tutorial pages but haven't used WebMerge yet except the free version although I have purchased it. The program looks like it will help me do great things, well, for me simi-great. I want to suggest something that I think would help. The "OpenOffice" file formats should be included in a future release of WebMerge becase it has a good spreadsheet and database program that is FREE and will read Microsoft file formats. If you're not familiar with this program just go to www.openoffice.org. Just a thought.
    I'll second that one, I think it's a great idea. We all know that OO projects can be saved in M$ format (i.e. ".xls" or ".doc"), but why not eliminate a step?

While not widespread, OO continues to gain ground, and is an awesome alternative to the M$ products.

And also, welcome to ABW Steve

Fred

Affiliate Manager
    AFAIK, both Microsoft Office and Open Office both use XML formats natively (although of course different flavors since we can't expect Microsoft to play nice with other vendors <g>).

While useful for many things, XML is notoriously inefficient for both transport and parsing (I have a post here on ABW which does into this in detail -- I'll dig it up if it's of interest).

Fortunately Open Office (and pretty much every other program that includes a spreadheet or database) exports to tab-delimited, comma-delimited, and other common tabular format that works well with WebMerge and just about any other tool that imports DB data.

When Open Office reaches at least 25% of the market we can consider making a special filter to import its files natively. In the meantime, WebMerge works well with output from Open Office using the Export feature Open Office has today.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread