4 15.38%
  • Anger

3 11.54%
  • Sloth

4 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Which is worse?
    Which of the 7 "deadly sins" do you consider the worst offense?

Votes are anonymous
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    That's a hard question so I decided to try and answer it based on Dante's "Divine Comedy", in which the worse the sin, the closer to the inner circle of Hell you are assigned to.

According to Dante's Inferno, the levels of Hell are:

Circle One - Those in limbo
    Circle Two - The lustful
    Circle Three - The gluttonous
    Circle Four - The hoarders
    Circle Five - The wrathful
    Circle Six - The heretics
    Circle Seven - The violent
    Ring 1. Murderers, robbers, and plunderers
    Ring 2. Suicides and those harmful to the world
    Ring 3. Those harmful against God, nature, and art, as well as usurers
    Circle Eight - The Fraudulent
    Bowge (Trench) I. Panderers and Seducers
    Bowge II. Flatterers
    Bowge III. Simoniacs
    Bowge IV. Sorcerers
    Bowge V. Barrators
    Bowge VI. Hypocrites
    Bowge VII. Thieves
    Bowge VIII. Counselors
    Bowge IX. Sowers of Discord
    Bowge X. Falsifiers
    Circle Nine - Traitors
    Region i: Traitors to their kindred
    Region ii: Traitors to their country
    Region iii: Traitors to their guests
    Region iv: Traitors to their lords

By Dante's story then lust will get you into the 2nd circle and gluttony into the 3rd level, so gluttony would be worse than lust. As for the other 5 sins, I'm not sure just where each of them would fall without doing some research. Does anyone here know where the other 5 sins would put you?

However, if as publishers we are considered as "guests" of the affiliate networks then according to Dante we can all at least have the satisfaction of knowing that the heads of CJ and LinkShare will end up in the 9th circle of Hell (Region iii: Traitors to their guests) for their support of parasites.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I disagree with Dante (Apparently he never had some lusty loser panting after him). Most of those supposed "sins" can be harnessed for some form of good. But lust? That just makes people act like brainless morons...

So I put Lust as the worst of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I disagree with Dante (Apparently he never had some lusty loser panting after him). Most of those supposed "sins" can be harnessed for some form of good. But lust? That just makes people act like brainless morons...

So I put Lust as the worst of the lot.
    Hmmmmm ... I was going to leave lust out of it. I had to do a search to find out what the 7 sins were so to be true to the subject, left it in. Didn't think anyone would pick that! LOL

For me, it's greed. I've seen too much of it in my life and have seen how it spreads evil wherever it surfaces. Greedy people are the worst in my estimation

Dante is on my to read list ... it's too late to get that intellectual but it's a good summary of the supposed 7 deadlies.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Lust is a sin?

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Lust is a sin?
    I guess according to the Bible it is. :-( Helluva way to race to hell, though. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    That don't make sense. God made Jessica Alba and I'm going to go to hell for it?

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    That don't make sense. God made Jessica Alba and I'm going to go to hell for it?
    LOL - no - relax.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

LOL @ Trust!
    Remember that the next time you get lusty

Hmmmmm ... I was going to leave lust out of it. I had to do a search to find out what the 7 sins were so to be true to the subject, left it in. Didn't think anyone would pick that! LOL

For me, it's greed.
    The one I wouldn't have put on the list at all, is Gluttony. Although there isn't much good for it in non-famine areas, it doesn't seem to hurt anyone, either, except maybe the glutton. (In a famine area, it's the so-called "glutton" who'll have stored enough fat during better times to make it through...more "moderate" types will starve...)

There's a few things that I'd love to put ON the list that aren't there, too

As for Greed:

Quote Originally Posted by Answers.com's Dictionary
    Greed: An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth:
    People only "need" and "deserve" some food and water, and enough shelter to keep from freezing/sunburning (ie, a shack). But personally I think humans should want more than just what any instinct-driven animal can do for itself.

I notice that "excessive" is part of the definition. The thing is, what's "excessive" depends on who's talking. And no matter who's talking, "excessive" always seems to be some amount more desirous than they are!

My mother remains not-for-sale, so I guess I'm not "excessively" desirous of the manor and private jet.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I guess according to the Bible it is. :-( Helluva way to race to hell, though. :-)
    According to what I've read, the list of "7 Deadly Sins" are at least partly Dante's ideas, and not entirely Biblical.

But--sorry Trust--I do recall Lust as an actual Biblical Sin. If you lust, you're "committing adultery in your mind" IIRC.

I know that all those "levels of hell" (and their corresponding descriptions) aren't in the King James Version of the Bible. And, as I remember, the Bible says that all breaches of the Commandments actually count the same (rather than being leveled)! So it's more like, If Sin = yes THEN repent, OR go to Hell. Just plain-out Hell, not circle this or circle that.

However, I'm not a scholar on the subject. It's possible that I missed something, or that there are denominational differences I'm not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    According to what I've read, the list of "7 Deadly Sins" are at least partly Dante's ideas, and not entirely Biblical.

But--sorry Trust--I do recall Lust as an actual Biblical Sin. If you lust, you're "committing adultery in your mind" IIRC.

I know that all those "levels of hell" (and their corresponding descriptions) aren't in the King James Version of the Bible. And, as I remember, the Bible says that all breaches of the Commandments actually count the same (rather than being leveled)! So it's more like, If Sin = yes THEN repent, OR go to Hell. Just plain-out Hell, not circle this or circle that.

However, I'm not a scholar on the subject. It's possible that I missed something, or that there are denominational differences I'm not aware of.
    This wasn't meant to be a biblical thang - just an interesting topic. I choose "the 7 deadly sins" just for reference. God forbid this thread should turn into a bible thumping or bashing one - no no no - just basic human traits that are potentially offensive. :-)

My idea of greed isn't "wanting more than necessary for basic survival." Hell, I absolutely want more than I NEED. Greed, to me, is a love of money and power above all else. Such as people who would sell their souls to (who or whatever) for money or power, not people who WANT more. I absolutely love to make and spend and have money but it doesn't rank above love or friendship or consideration or many other "values." I have lived around people who try to take their money to the grave with them and it's pathetic besides having ruined their relationships with family and loved ones throughout their lives because their love of money was greater than love of anything or anyone else. Greed is way ugly.

Gluttony is another one I don't quite get, either. Food is yummy and a great pleasure. I figure anyone in their right mind should be pursuing as much pleasure in their life as possible (without stepping on others).
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

This wasn't meant to be a biblical thang - just an interesting topic. I choose "the 7 deadly sins" just for reference. God forbid this thread should turn into a bible thumping or bashing one - no no no - just basic human traits that are potentially offensive.
    I was just responding to the offshoot arising from Trust's comment about going to Hell for lusting after Jessica Alba
    I've probably been looking at NS General too much, too

Gluttony is another one I don't quite get, either. Food is yummy and a great pleasure. I figure anyone in their right mind should be pursuing as much pleasure in their life as possible (without stepping on others).
    I agree!

Sucks that you were subjected to living with such extremely greedy people. I've been fortunate in that regard...I've run across a few, but could stay away enough to avoid catching the fallout (and made a note to never do business with them...crooks!).

My own family has more Pride running through than anything else. While it occasionally got too extreme, it doesn't seem to have been as problematic as greed...

As for me, some might say I have too much arrogance, but that pales in light of the irresistable and black-hole-like gravitational pull of SLOTH. I wouldn't call Sloth a "sin." I consider it more of a curse (not a spell-type curse, but just a negative condition that is there despite the actual desires of the slothful one)...
    Note: Empl*yment would still suck even if I had 0% sloth!

I abstained from voting... (Not because of sloth...) I think they all have merit in one form or fashion. But any of them to the extreme, whereby they cause violence or hurt are equally as bad. So if murder or violence was up there, I'd have voted in a second. I know that's not how religious texts look at it, but that's just my opinion...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

The key in stuff like "Gluttony" is "excessive". I think most of the sins can be included in that (greed and lust for example). You have to be greedy (to a certain extent) if you want to be someone, BUT I include knowledge and wisdom after money and power. I know I greed for more knowledge and wisdom (for many years now).

Lust is another problem, I suppose it was intended as a "don't make it a priority" and not as a "God forbids you to do it at all". I can't say I speak for any Gods but I think, if there's one, that they really don't care as long as we are truthful, honest and free in our mind as well as our body.

Noone can deny anger or pride, it's part of the human spirit. The important thing is to not let it govern every waken moment of out life. You should be prooud when you feel like you've accomplished something and you have the right to be angry when someone betrays you or something.

Anyway, that's a rather long statement for me, sorry for the multiple errors in the text, haven't slept tonight and I still have trouble with some structures in the English language ;p

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Ditto Rexanne, I voted for Greed. I've experienced the damaging effects of it in the past, especially in the corporate world and it's nasty.
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

This wasn't meant to be a biblical thang - just an interesting topic.
    Hmmmm....Whether you mean it to be a Bible thing could be considered by some to be irrelevant. Because it is a Bible thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and as for your poll - in God's eyes, all sin are equal. So I'll take that point of view. If sin is sin to Him, then who am I to judge?

I know - I'm no fun. Oh well.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Quote Originally Posted by Susan_ShareResults
    Ditto Rexanne, I voted for Greed. I've experienced the damaging effects of it in the past, especially in the corporate world and it's nasty.
    Same here Rexanne.. made me vote for Greed.
    Cheers,

Harry.
    Mondera Affiliate Manager
    http://www.mondera.com/affiliate_support/
    Winner of the LinkShare 2004 Golden Link Awards "Affiliate's Choice Award"
    Winner of the 2002 Abestweb.com "Best Affiliate Program Award"

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    Hmmmm....Whether you mean it to be a Bible thing could be considered by some to be irrelevant. Because it is a Bible thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and as for your poll - in God's eyes, all sin are equal. So I'll take that point of view. If sin is sin to Him, then who am I to judge?

I know - I'm no fun. Oh well.
    I suppose it is a 'bible thing' unless one doesn't live by or agree with "bible teachings."

The way I see it, God isn't out to get us for indulging in life's pleasures. It's about being good and loving citizens, no matter what one "believes."

This is a judgement of sorts. Or an opinion of what judgments feel most justified.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The likelyhood of a Priest or layman of actually encountering a true "Glutton" is much less then a mass murdering pedophile or other 7 deadly sins person. Amazing a Glutton has no regard to anyone else nor anything he/she has just acquired. They covet everything just so no one else can have it. The moment they have it it goes into their lairs hord bin. Imagine some Obese person ordering their 5th full course meal of the day and taking a few bites... or playing with it ...then asking for a doggie bag to make sure no one else gets even a scrap. They only desire what they don't have at the moment and could careless about the meal in front of them ...they want what was left behind for the others weither they ever will eat it or not. They must be miserable at an all you can eat buffet.

So real murderers - sexual deviants - thieves -angry and lazy people are a dime a dozen compared to what God would call a Glutton. The few of them out there must have a special place in Hell.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Gordon Gekko: The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of it's forms - greed for life, for money, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed - you mark my words - will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you.
    I voted for sloth.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Just a thought. Aren't all the sins really based on pride--or the ego to be more precise?

Quote Originally Posted by GigaGolf
    Just a thought. Aren't all the sins really based on pride--or the ego to be more precise?
    Yeah ... our egos encompass a lot of nasty stuff. :-) But I think one can be proud without being greedy, lustful, angry, slovenly or the rest so it stands alone. Pride in this instance I think means to feel superior.

I think one missing here is "vanity." Wasn't that one of the "original deadlies" too?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Amazing a Glutton has no regard to anyone else nor anything he/she has just acquired. They covet everything just so no one else can have it. The moment they have it it goes into their lairs hord bin. Imagine some Obese person ordering their 5th full course meal of the day and taking a few bites... or playing with it ...then asking for a doggie bag to make sure no one else gets even a scrap. They only desire what they don't have at the moment and could careless about the meal in front of them ...they want what was left behind for the others weither they ever will eat it or not. They must be miserable at an all you can eat buffet.
    What you are describing actually sounds like a form of HOARDING, and has nothing to do with obesity (in fact, I know of hoarders who are extremely thin). Nor does the psychology of it work like you think.

Hoarders often feel great anxiety at letting anything go. Not because "someone else might get some!" It's more that they feel out of control without their Stuff, or (irrationally) fear shortage. Someone who orders 5 full-course meals to get doggie bags is focusing the hoarding on food, rather than the more-common general "stuff," or animals, but it still sounds like a hoarding disorder to me.

Hoarding is recognized as a branch of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

All obesity takes is a genuine love of food (something which is enjoyable is done more often, when eating's what's enjoyed that = more calories in).
    Add in a game deck and/or internet connection (lack of exercise), and you have more than the required ingredients for obesity, with no malice AT ALL on the part of the obese person.

The only time I care much about whether someone else has something, is if that Something happens to be the #1 Rank in Google for a term people actually look for.

As for hoarding food, I have better things to do with my $$$. Stale food (which is what becomes of excessive food storage) is of no use.
    Last edited by Leader; February 21st, 2006 at 01:11 PM.

I suppose it is a 'bible thing' unless one doesn't live by or agree with "bible teachings."
    It would be like saying:
    Who is worse - Richard Nixon or George W. Bush. and then saying it isn't a discussion about politics

Just because you don't agree with something or live by it doesn't make it not true.

The way I see it, God isn't out to get us for indulging in life's pleasures. It's about being good and loving citizens, no matter what one "believes."
    One thing God has given us is the freedom to believe whatever we choose to believe. But again, just because we chose to believe something doesn't mean it is right.

I believe in absolute truth. The truth exists whether people acknowledge it or not.

This is a judgement of sorts. Or an opinion of what judgments feel most justified.
    To choose one sin as being worse than another is definitely judgement. I totally agree. The reason being, we always compare ourselves to others.

We aren't going to pick *the worst* sin as being one that we indulge in - that would be admitting we are doing something terribly wrong. Rather, we will pick something that we are not guilty of. And we are therefore judging the things that others do and comparing them to ourselves.

The reason though that God looks at all sin as being equal is because they are wrong in comparison to His holiness and His perfection. One bit of sin on our part, separates us from Him.

Because He is holy, He cannot allow sin into His presence. The mere fact that we have ever done something wrong separates us from Him. That is why He sent Jesus - to pay the price for our sin so that we can spend eternity with Him.

But as I said, God gives us the choices to believe what we chose to believe about that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nice historical summary of the 7 deadly sins... http://www.uusbhc.org/sermons/010905DeadlySins.html
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast