how to track users
    Hi everyone -
    I have a question that i've been pondering for a while.
    Those "free playstation" type sites...you know the ones, sign up for certain things, get a free something or other.
    My question about them is: how do the "webmasters" (sorry for the lame term) track who buys what and completes all the steps necessary to receive the free good?
    I am very intruiged by this and would like to figure this out. I've looked at my CJ reports but don't see much about the order details from the user side.
    Can anyone help and shed some light on this question?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; February 21st, 2006 at 08:18 PM. Reason: sig removed

You can use subid tracking.

In CJ, when you go to get the HTML for a link, click on Show Advanced Options and then you'll see the SID field (sub id or session id).

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by rampguy
    You can use subid tracking.

In CJ, when you go to get the HTML for a link, click on Show Advanced Options and then you'll see the SID field (sub id or session id).

Alex
    What would the webmaster type into that field?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    What would the webmaster type into that field?
    With the Shopper ID (SID), Commission Junction provides advanced tools that enable affiliates to track transaction-level metrics. SID Tracking allows affiliates to track the origin of each transaction and is extremely beneficial for large affiliate campaigns and paid search initiatives because it provides detailed tracking metrics capable of improving efficiency, conversions, and expenditures.

Commission Junction's SID

By adding SID parameters to their tracking URLs, Commission Junction affiliates are able to monitor which specific link produced each transaction. Once the transaction is completed, the SID is stored in Commission Junction's transaction report. This data has proven particularly valuable for affiliates managing large keyword campaigns or numerous Web sites.

SID Notes

* SID Tracking is free for all Commission Junction (CJ) affiliates.
    * SIDs are easy to configure and provide transaction level reporting.
    * Affiliates may view SID data within CJ transaction reports.
    * SID Tracking is compatible with all CJ links.
    * Affiliates can generate the SID either dynamically or manually within the CJ interface.
    * The SID can be up to 64 characters and is URL-encoded (%20 for a space, %2E for a comma, etc).
    * The following characters cannot be used in the SID: "/<>?\|*:' "

Quote Originally Posted by diostebendiga
    SID Notes

* SID Tracking is compatible with all CJ links.
    * Affiliates can generate the SID either dynamically or manually within the CJ interface.
    * The SID can be up to 64 characters and is URL-encoded (%20 for a space, %2E for a comma, etc).
    * The following characters cannot be used in the SID: "/<>?\|*:' "
    So as long as it is alpha-numeric and up to 64 characters, the affiliate can type in anything alpha-numeric into the the SID field and it won't interfere with tracking?

Thank you. This thread has been helpful

Btw, does CJ provide official documentation about this in its CJU or any other type of official documentation?
    Last edited by Rhia7; February 22nd, 2006 at 12:26 AM. Reason: To ask about official documentation
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    SID is very helpful in tracking the source of sales
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Quote Originally Posted by newaff
    SID is very helpful in tracking the source of sales
    I'm sure it is.
    Does CJ explain SID in any documentation? Where could I go to read up on SID from an official source?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I'm sure it is.
    Does CJ explain SID in any documentation? Where could I go to read up on SID from an official source?
    In your CJ Account Click on Help at the right of page. It will open a popup, type SID in the search bar. You will get some results.

I found this,

Add the SID to the Link HTML

You must have an active Web site and an active relationship with the advertiser to have access to their link HTML. You may apply to an advertiser's program by doing an advertiser search for that advertiser and then placing a checkmark in the box to the left of the advertiser name and clicking Apply to Program.

To begin getting HTML for links so that you can place them on your site, you must start from the Link List page. If you have conducted a link search, your results have placed you at the link list and you are ready to begin. If you have conducted an advertiser search, you must click the View Links list under the Advertiser column to display the link list.

From the link list, click the Get HTML link in the Actions column on the far right. The Get HTML pop-up contains an Add SID field under the Advanced Options.

Note: If this field does not appear, the advertiser has not authorized publishers to add an SID and this option is unavailable.

If this field displays, you have permission to add a Shopper ID (SID) to the link HTML. To do so, enter the desired SID and click Update HTML to implement the code change.

Note: Additional code parameters may appear if the chosen advertiser uses a third party aggregation tool.

Thank you!
    Everyone,
    Thank you for your replies!
    I appreciate how rapidly this question was answered and thank you for the information you've passed on to me and the others that have read this thread.
    Best regards,
    cckid

Hi !
    Newbie question here.
    I understand how to use SIDs , etc.
    However, do you "have" to use the CJ interface to add a new SID to track?
    Versus, just adding your own SIDs to the URL (following the appropriate format of course) without submitting them to CJ?

It just seems a lot quicker to not have enter each SID into the page to get the code, when I can just plug the terms into the format myself.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jmorty732
    Hi !
    Newbie question here.
    I understand how to use SIDs , etc.
    However, do you "have" to use the CJ interface to add a new SID to track?
    Versus, just adding your own SIDs to the URL (following the appropriate format of course) without submitting them to CJ?

It just seems a lot quicker to not have enter each SID into the page to get the code, when I can just plug the terms into the format myself.

Thanks!
    Yes, it works for me.

Thanks for the quick reply.

When you say, "Yes, works for me" do you mean yes, you have to use the CJ interface to create the link

or

yes you can just create the URLs on the fly with a SID and not enter them into the CJ interface.

Thanks!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread