Sampling Feeds
    I think it'd be nice in the future if we could somehow sample a datafeed (5, 10, 20 of the first rows) to see what it looks like before we join a program. I'm sure I'm not the only one tired of joining merchants for their feed, finding out it's not very useful (no categorization, etc), and having to drop them and move on to another.

I had saved up a list of merchants from the feeds page that interested me and I've gone through it recently and let's just say I've ended up close to where I was before I made the list.

Or maybe it is just me...

(and no I'm not asking for programs to be pushed at me here)

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Good thought, Shawn. Reminds me of what was brought up by affiliates in this discussion. However, even if the first 5, 10, 20 lines are fine, that wouldn't necessarily mean that the rest of the datafeed is okay.

Having said that, it is a good suggestion. Would save you (in broad sense: you, as all affiliates) the time of downloading each feed to just see what it looks like; and would surely save merchants money on approving datafeed access of every affiliate that just wants to have a look at it.

Geno

However, even if the first 5, 10, 20 lines are fine, that wouldn't necessarily mean that the rest of the datafeed is okay.
    True, but if I saw say the first 10 lines and see that the Custom1-Custom5 fields are empty (especially in a feed with hundreds of products) then one can assume the feed may not be practically useful. And vice versa, if some of those fields are filled with extra categorization, one can assume it might be worth further evaluation.

I do understand categorization is not always feasible, perhaps in a feed with a couple of dozen of the same type of product (I do promote one merchant who only has 30 or 40 rings that don't need it), but most of the time that's not the case. I can point out ink merchants as one example.

I give up. I'm tired of continuous uncategorized feeds.

I'll continue to work with the handful of merchants Im currently with who have a clue about feeds, no more will appear on any of my sites unless they put a little effort in to it.

You could also contact the merchant and tell them what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy
    I give up. I'm tired of continuous uncategorized feeds.

I'll continue to work with the handful of merchants Im currently with who have a clue about feeds, no more will appear on any of my sites unless they put a little effort in to it.
    Shawn, send me a PM if you need to check out MontRED's product feed.

cheers!
    -nishith

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread