ABW Ambassador
    Cool I am a millionaire!
    The web is a wonderful place to do business. There are so many opportunities out there but so little time to take benefit of all the available opportunities

Almost daily I have several ideas which have the potential to generate a lot of money-making opportunities for me. Even if I think conservatively, every 1 out of 10 ideas I get, can earn me at least $10000 and I only need 100 successful ideas out of, say 1000 ideas, to generate a million dollars in profit. And there is no shortage of good ideas. Every day I get 3-4 good ones With this pace, I just need a year to become a millionaire.

So, though I am already a millionaire in ideas but the important thing is I need that money in real terms too

However, what is really happenning is that although I have started a few projects which I believe have the potential to earn me good money and every other day, I get a new idea which I believe is good too and start working on it, so what I have ended up for the last few months is about 15-20 projects, each with good potential, but none generating me individually the money I want.

So what is the best way to take those ideas to fruition and actually earn those millions of which they have real potential? Any thoughts or tips to share?
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Welcome to the club! The nice thing about affiliate marketing is that there's so much potential and so many ideas. It's practically limitless.

I have found myself in the same situation and there are a few different approaches towards a solution:

1. Pick one project and focus on it until it's bringing in money. Then move on to the next idea.

2. Get a basic site up for each idea and cycle through your sites, adding more and more as you go until all are making good money.

I've had the best success with the first approach, although you can blend the two. I have 2 or 3 good sized sites developed that are bringing in money. I now focus on developing new sites and occasionally cycle back through the developed sites to rework them or add fresh content.

Good luck!

-M
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    "I get a new idea which I believe is good too and start working on it, so what I have ended up for the last few months is about 15-20 projects, each with good potential, but none generating me individually the money I want"

There's lots of clever sayings out there about potential. All that potential you're talking about isn't generating you the money you want. So instead of hopping around on more potential, first find out how to make one of those potentials pay off.

I find this in many things in life and business. F-O-C-U-S is MY toughest thing to keep focused on!! But, I do see that the most consistently successful companies and people have tremendous focus. Once the focused condition is established, they might or might not branch out in unrelated areas. The lack of focus on a website tends to confuse and make the customer anxious. It's good sound advice but difficult to show by example. Please gurus and mentors, please give more insight on what works for you...

Concentrate on one idea at a time, when that idea is researched, completed and implemented, then move on to the next idea, and on and on and on...

Focus, Focus, Focus.

Pick 1-3 of your most fun potential sites and keep the creative juices going on those.

I too have way to many projects going and I have clients' work.

I say have more than one project so you can bounce around, but when it starts getting thin all over you have to re focus.

I like what Meadow said and often find myself doing #2.

Other times I "feel it" and focus for a week or month on just one site or niche of sites.

I am part of this club -multi-projected- and the domain name club
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

It is allaboutfocus (.com). Whoa! That is a cool domain name. I should buy it! oh I already did! Years ago
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Just do it!
    I it's the entrepreneurial mind and personality that makes most of us suffer from the same 'problem'. This could be a solution.

- Write down all of your ideas
    - First, get the ones you can do with your current resources
    - If it's still a large number, get the ones that you see most potential in
    - If it's still a large number, get the ones that you can do in fastest amount of time
    - If it's still a large number, get the ones that give most fun working on

If the remaining is a reasonable number, 3 to 10, then, write step by step, clear plans for each, from start to finish. Then just follow the steps, it's that easy!

That is why I say pick the "fun with potential".

If you have a passion for the project the time flys by as work and you wish for more hours in a day.
    Those that are great ideas and less fun tend to be more gruling and you lose interest.

One of the first things I remember from "way back when" is pick a niche site that you have interest in and know your stuff. Then it just starts & it grows with the passion.

Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Talking Create an Idea Bank
    I suffer from the same problem, so I created a notebook that I call "the idea bank." Everytime one of those brilliant ideas hit me, I make a new page in the note book, brainstorm on it (for me, that's the fun part) until I get it out of my system. Then I get back to work on the current project. Once the current project is done, I go back to the Idea Bank and start on the idea that excites me the most.

Sometimes during the brainstorming sessions I can't help myself and will purchase a domain name or some such thing, but eventually, I rain myself in. Now, I actually get some of the ideas to the point where they produce the results I imagined they would.

If you are going to write down all of those ideas I suggest you at least pick up a tablet PC. I have one and I love it. I am not sure I will use any else again when it comes to a laptop.

P
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

ABW Ambassador
    I suffer from the same problem, so I created a notebook that I call "the idea bank."
    TheWebDiva, That's a nice thing to do
    How much details should go in that bank? I mean, there are some ideas which are just starting to grow on you where as some are in your mind from several days?
    The Best Forums
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    - Write down all of your ideas
    - First, get the ones you can do with your current resources
    - If it's still a large number, get the ones that you see most potential in
    - If it's still a large number, get the ones that you can do in fastest amount of time
    Sam Bay, That looks like a nice plan. I should get down to writing that now
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Internet Cowboy
    Plan your work - Work your plan

It is terribly cliche', but remains true.

ABW Ambassador
    Plan your work - Work your plan
    Yeah, I think I should be doing that but what happens often is that I can plan the work but when I start working on the plan, a new idea crops up and I start planning on that one and the earlier one is left in the middle
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

ABW Ambassador
    There's lots of clever sayings out there about potential. All that potential you're talking about isn't generating you the money you want. So instead of hopping around on more potential, first find out how to make one of those potentials pay off.
    Trust, should I set a financial limit on one of that potential? Like maybe, until that project makes me say, $1000, I wouldn't start on another or something like that?
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWebDiva
    I suffer from the same problem, so I created a notebook that I call "the idea bank." Everytime one of those brilliant ideas hit me, I make a new page in the note book, brainstorm on it (for me, that's the fun part) until I get it out of my system. Then I get back to work on the current project. Once the current project is done, I go back to the Idea Bank and start on the idea that excites me the most.

Sometimes during the brainstorming sessions I can't help myself and will purchase a domain name or some such thing, but eventually, I rain myself in. Now, I actually get some of the ideas to the point where they produce the results I imagined they would.
    GREAT post!!!

I do the same thing. I create a folder for each new idea and as time passes and new related ideas / subideas for that project come to mind, I add those details into that project's folder. I even name them with a 01, 02, 03 prefix as I go, with the best ideas at top. I reorder the folders when one seems to gather enough momentum to surpass others. The one's that are more nebulous and loose, don't get a prefix and just float around a the bottom of my list. Right now I have 7 numbered projects and about 10 more foggy ones that could emerge or die later.

My list is so full, I recently gave one relatively good one away, complete with domains names and notes and datafeed and more, to a fellow ABW'er friend of mine (PA). Another one that never came to be for me, where I decided to slice it from my list, meant I gave a really great domain name away to a fellow ABW'er down in Aussie land (WB). And last year, I gave away another domain name to yet another fellow ABW'er (RT) when I lost interest in the particular market. Yep, I'm still overcome at times with excitement and buy domain names anyhow, despite my idea bank mentality. And hey, obviously giving away too much stuff to people... hehehee. And guess what, I have another one I just dumped from my list... anyone need a good domain name for portable electronics (dvd players, mp3 players, dig cams and such)? Hehehe, friends only need apply.

Another thing an idea bank does is to let an idea grow on you. If it's a good idea, it'll occupy your mind and new ideas for it will fill the folder and it'll move to the top of the list. If it sits there stale for a while, then the puppy love crush subsides and it falls off the list. This strategy also means I don't start a new project until it's fairly well formed. And it avoids working on something (and buying a bunch of domain names!) that will never come to fruition.

ABW Ambassador
    Excellent post Donuts ! I love this organising the ideas folder concept
    Thanks for sharing
    The Best Forums
    Abestweb Store

Quote Originally Posted by newaff
    How much details should go in that bank? I mean, there are some ideas which are just starting to grow on you where as some are in your mind from several days?
    I generally work on the idea until I can't think of anything else to add. That usually takes me several hours searching the web for sites similar to the one I have an idea for, brainstorming domain names, going to the library (virtually) and searching for books on the subject (I like to become as much of an expert on the subject as is reasonable), checking word tracker for keywords. Then, once my "new project fever" has subsided and I have a lot of great information, I shut the Idea Bank and take a brain break (which usually consists of watching Judge Judy or something like that) and then I can get back to working on what I put on my schedule for the day. If I get more great ideas at a later time, I just add them (I usually leave a few pages between ideas or staple new pages in)

Donuts

I love you folder idea! Its a lot more organized (and no doubt a lot neater) then my notebook. I think I'll give it a try.

Talking Thanks for your input...
    It makes my tummy warm to know that I am certainly not alone with the "interuption of focus" condition!!

...sometimes it feels like a neurosis!!

On top of the lack of proper focus, I find PAPER from our web businesses is taking over my life and office causing a lot of MY distraction! It is no longer the telephone, as it was in the 80s and 90s for me.

I like the idea very much about having computer files (or idea bank) WITHOUT paper. I have always had an idea bank of sorts that started with bound spiral notebooks and found it to be cumbersome and it kept having offspring!! I subscribe to an Online Folder. As I work and have computer stations in several locations, I am going to begin to use MS Word etc. to create and add to the idea bank but I am going to use the online folder (just an online storage location) and this way I can access it from any computer to add or DELETE from it. I AM good at keeping things in categories, most likely in my case, by domains or added income streams or SEO etc.

When I get too much information, I can no longer locate it when I need it, so I think this idea will help me. I have also begun to eliminate all unnecessary paper from the office that arrives (after a bill is paid, I scan it to a pdf and file it on a PC, backed up on another PC) At least I can toss it. It's added to two trash bags this week just from this weeks processing of paper that were tossed! With fewer miscellaneous papers, its another way I can focus and have less distractions.

Thanks to all for your input. It has helped me tremendously if only for comradery in this BIG problem area for me.

I was really focused just now... until a 'Topic Reply' email showed up and just shot that all to heck J/K

Something else I am trying along these lines when it comes to planning and execution.

I bought this great Tablet PC.. and most of the time it sits in regular laptop mode (keyboard exposed, screen up). I really need to take more advantage of when it comes to using it to jot down and manage ideas. Something else I am trying my spare (ha!) time in some Mind Mapping software (by Mindjet). I have always been curious how productive that route of planning and connection of ideas is.

Hey there Mr. Nuts. If you don't have a higher bidder I'll take that other domain name off your hands.
    ---
    ---

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread