ABW Ambassador
    Why did google just keep my index page and only one other page in the last update? What happened to the other 30 some odd pages?
    If I use the google tool and type in the address for those pages is says no info, when I type the address in the regular tool bar it give me my page rank. I lost all the keyword searches for those pages. I am very confused about this. The only thing I can think of is my host was down for about an hour doing maintainence. Shoot! I am getting disgusted with all this. You try so hard and then you get shot down, either by google, merchants, cj. Tell me it gets better!
    Cazzie :confused:

ABW Ambassador
    there are a lot of things that really piss Google off, so you have to be careful at every step of the way

ABW Ambassador
    Well I can't think of anything I did! Didn't even change one word on any site, to busy working on a new site. I was happy with the way things were and letting google do its thing. Oh well, took advantage and made some page changes, hopefully they will get back in the next one.
    Cazzie

cazzie baby

try deleteing googles cookie from your cache and try again, your pages should be there, are your stats showing hits to your other pages from google?

ABW Ambassador
    Deleted google cookies. Still get this message.
    Sorry, no information is available for the URL www.free-interior-decorating-ideas.com/crystal.html
    Yes logs show hits to the index page, and one other page, But nothing else.
    Cazzie :confused:

cazzie, try and find out if your site was down, see if you can find out from your stats if you have a chunk of no hits for sometime last month

one thing i did notice at a quick glance, the link that says "home" doesn't actually go to your index.html, that may have something to do with it, i belive that google doesn't like pages that dont link back to the homepage and considers them spam in the form of gateway pages

try adding a few more links to that page and it should be ok next time

i would bet money that your site was down at the time of the last index, there are lots of worm virus attacks going on, two of my sites went down due to this prob over the last couple of days, one is still down

cazzie,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Shoot! I am getting disgusted with all this. You try so hard and then you get shot down, either by google, merchants, cj. Tell me it gets better!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel your pain. When my site went up 3 years ago, I was listed in the top ten of most search engines plus Yahoo. Then overnight, I would vanish. It hurt so bad I would cry.

It gets to be a old battle, you keep trying, but for me, I just roll with the flow. They will get no more tears from me. Sorry S-n of B--s. :mad:

Take Care,

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You guys have served as a great reminder--of the point of PPC listings!

Leader

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You guys have served as a great reminder--of the point of PPC listings!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, but why buy the cow when the milk is free [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Take Care

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yea, but why buy the cow when the milk is free <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cows that give free milk are wonderful, no doubt about that, but the cows you buy have their own charms. If you do things right you get the price of your cow back so it can be a wise purchase after all.

Then you'll have milk from two cows!

Elisabeth Archambault

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Then you'll have milk from two cows!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I download software from two cows [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yea, but why buy the cow when the milk is free [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't have to beat the milk out of the cows you buy... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-Joey

Back to earth for a moment,

I have a serious question about ppc engines.
    Say you promote a merchants banner with an EPC of $4.00. You have a PPC listing that you pay 3 cents a click, 100 clicks will cost you $3.00. Ok, I just got 100 visitors to my site and according to my math, everyone would have to click on my banner for me to make 4.00.

Now, I know a lot of you guys and gals have some high commissions merchants and you will have a lot more than just one revenue generating links on your site, but I still wonder if the PPC engines works for most of you?

Anyone care to share some war stories as to their experiences with PPC engines and how well they work or don't work for you. I'm learning a lot here and your input will help even more.

Thanks,

Tribune,
    Too bad there was a ton of info on CJU, a simple search would have landed you tons of info. But try a search here, too, since both Leader and Elisabeth have posted their important tips.
    I can give you an example of what not to do, or even a couple of them :eek: . One, don't bid on content pages. Waste of money. Two, only for vengence bid higher than your merchant with a note about how you sell the competitor's product cheaper than the merchant (whose link is sitting right below yours,hahhahahahahah). I lost money on that one, but not much since the competitor's CR was tons better than the nasty merchant who dropped me when I dared say "fraud?". Revenge also lost their google positioning on the same keywords to my pages, bwahahahahahha. Their loss, Amazon's profits. But I've dropped all ppc ads on that page, since it's not a hot seller and I've gone on to more profitable pastures.
    I don't use PPC's on any merchant with a 5% commish unless they show they convert like hotcakes (still looking for one of those).
    Your math was correct in that example you gave, so you can't bid the .03$ on that $4.00 lead. I have had to learn to tweek my pages to get my click through rate up past 50% (now average is over 75%, which still has room for improvement, but I'm happy). I'm not good at selling ice to eskimos, unlike my mentor, Leader, so I have to bid low assuming that only 70% of my visitors will click through, and I'll only have a 1% CR.
    I see from this thread that on my pages that are selling with nice commissions, I should keep up the ppc's, and I need to study up on how to keep my Google rank on the lower comish pages that rank well.

continued success,
    webmistress

Tribune said "Say you promote a merchants banner with an EPC of $4.00."

DON'T! That's the first rule. Leave an obscenely fat margin!!! That margin will cover the oopses that come about.

Start thinking big. I mean REAL big. As in, 3c bids, $15 commission item! And go by whether you think YOU can sell the stuff, not necessarily the Network EPC. Especially with the smaller merchants, the results of a couple of affiliates can really skew the results either way. If you think you can sell an item, it doesn't matter if the rest of the network can't. And if you know you won't be able to move a product, it won't help you if the rest of the network can!

If the network EPC really stinks though (as in, under $4.00 or so), believe it. Real stinkers stink for good reason.

As for Webmistress's comment: "so I have to bid low assuming that only 70% of my visitors will click through, and I'll only have a 1% CR..."

That's a pretty good calculation to use. It's actually almost the same as mine! I figure for a 1% CR and 80% clickthrough rate. Figuring conservatively ensures that my shirts stay findable. Some merchants surprise me and get a 4.5% or greater conversion ratio--but some don't convert worth beans. You need that huge margin on the good ones to make up for the duds!

I will have to say DON'T BID ON A CONTENT SITE in big type (which Webmistress mentioned already, but I'll say it again). The margins are way too low! If you just want to see a few hits to the content site (in other words, EGO LISTINGS), that's one thing--but be careful and don't expect to break even. It's a money-eating proposition!)

As for buying the cow when you can get the milk free, the main reasons are:

The boughten cow doesn't usually kick you out of the barn for no apparant reason!

Oversure may, hence the "usually", but that just brings up reason #2: There is more than one boughten cow that gives decent milk. If one won't give, milk another!

Boughten cows don't give you word soup for a description some of the time.

Boughten cows give milk faster. Try using free milk for something you need to promote RIGHT NOW, bwaahaaahaaaa....

When you buy the cow, you don't have to have your bucket (pages) ready when she feels like giving--you can milk anytime.

You can easily control the cream content (ranking) of a boughten cow's milk.

Boughten cows don't have some super-secret algorithm you need to crack to get the cream out of them!!!

If the free cow comes by and you're not there (site down) at the precise moment, you won't get any milk for a month. A boughten cow keeps giving milk whether your bucket's (site's) there or not. You have to pay for the spilled milk, but that's better than being without milk all the next month!

There's quite a bit more to the PPC engines that I have written in this post, but this is long enough already!

(HEY, MY 100TH POST AT ABW! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    Wow Leader, That's awesome! 100 posts already, looks like I have some serious reading to catch up on!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Boughten cows don't have some super-secret algorithm you need to crack to get the cream out of them!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the beauty of it all! And the real magic comes from sites that you can add your listing instantly, without any kind of editing delay. i.e.: kanoodle & goclick for example. (Don't get me wrong, these two don't have the traffic of findwhat or oversure but they can make up for that in (instant listings)!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Woo Wee!!! I just bought me some cows! Cheap cows at that. If I get any luck I will create a dairy barn.
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cazzie, the same thing happened to me three new indexes back. First all of my pages, but index.html disappeared, and then on the next re-index my entire site disappeared. Now three months forward my entire site has reappeared. The only thing I can think that happened was that I had about 30 low quality links on my site. The weren’t FFA links but they were links anyone could get by exchanging links (a lot of top sites) I removed those links once I saw the other pages disappear.

ABW Ambassador
    Pick your Merchants carefully...

I bought a cow once that produced sour milk that was no good.

I paid for traffic for Merchants at Linkshare ... and lost all my money :mad:

Beware the Snare!!!

Dave

The boughen cow's a finicky eater, that's for sure. But once you give her some decent feed (good merchants), she should produce real fine...

So let me get this straigt.

The cow is the search engine.
    The milk is the customer.
    The cream is the customers money.
    The feed is the merchant.

Okie dokie, now who gets to drive the combine.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread