Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Member genbintn's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    70
    When do you say no more?
    I have an affiliate site that is about 4 months old. It is keyed into one niche with links to other types of stores as well, but more links with this one topic (something like a mini-mall). In going through stats, like impressions and click throughs, there are several of sites I've signed up for that either never had someone click through or the click throughs I can trace to my family. I'm talking like 3 to 4 mo old links. At what point would you say enough is enough and bow out of that particular program?

    Thanks for helping,

    Bridgett

  2. #2
    general fuq mrbshouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Argieville
    Posts
    1,381
    Bridget,

    Don't give up yet 4 months is nothing. If your driving natural traffic as it sounds, you'll need to look at your visitor stats to see how well the search engines are picking up your pages. Just checked and your doing well 800+ pages for all but MSN.

    Now the question is what are you being indexed for and where does that put you in the SERP for your target keywords? Your going to need a stronger target that just generic info for the advertisers that you've listed (quick surf only).

    Unless you have regular traffic that will surf through your country store, I don't know what kind of pull you will get out of the SEs for your links.

    Go Huskers ;-)

  3. #3
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    there are several of sites I've signed up for that either never had someone click through or the click throughs I can trace to my family.
    I don't blame merchants for lack of SEO success on my part (lack of traffic to the page seems like the likely problem in your case).

    If you've got a page up for these merchants--not just a banner or a text link on some content page, but a real sales page--you should be getting clicks if you're getting targeted or even semi-targeted traffic to that page. A lot of people will click on through, if you just don't give them anything else to do (other than read the pitch you write).

    If you DO have a real sales page (that is, a page dedicated to extolling the featured merchant and/or their products), AND that page is getting traffic but no clicks, then the page needs rewriting and/or redesigning. Something's drastically anti-conversionary about it. (There is a point where a page is too pretty/slick, as well as a point where it's too ugly. You need to hit the sweet spot somewhere in between...)

    If you DON'T have a real sales page (or multiple pages, if they have an extensive product line) for the merchant(s) in question, make some! A little link at the bottom of info-content is like burying a particular sand grain on a beach and expecting people to find it.

    But lack of clicks is hardly ever the merchant's fault. Potential customers have to at least click, before they can decide for sure that the merchant sucks, so if they're not clicking something else is the problem 99% of the time. (The other 1% of the time, is when the merchant has such a bad reputation that everybody already knows not to bother clicking, but that's a very rare occurance...)

  4. #4
    Member genbintn's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    70
    Thank you both for the quick replies.

    I will 'fess upfront that my SEO has not been the greatest on this particular site. So am not surprised at the traffic I am getting. I do pretty good with some keyword searches and it is mainly genealogy. When folks do get there, they do click around tho. I am not complaining about the low traffic, actually not complaining at all right now about anything. Just curious as to if I should drop a few stores because of total lack of any interest in 4 months.

    Leader are you saying that I should have a separate page for each merchant? Since, I am using WordPress, I could possibly open up comments and add the good things I found out about a store. Do you think this would work as well?

    Time is not on my side at this juncture, I realize that the old saying "build it and they will come" doesn't work in this instance. But I am going to try to allot more time to this site. Just need more input -- so you will see me posting quite a bit, I am sure. Hope you folks don't mind answering my questions.

    Bridgett

  5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •