lurk
    Got the boot...
    Not the best thing to read just before I go to bed last night:

Thank you for your participation in the Yahoo! Publisher Network beta program. Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we have identified that one or more of your sites has sent traffic from users outside of the United States to our advertisers. This constitutes a breach of Section 11(l) of the program Terms and Conditions.

As a result, we have terminated your Yahoo! Publisher Network beta account 1092014094. Additionally, in accordance with Section 6(a) of the Terms and Conditions, we will deduct revenue resulting from this traffic from your payment. We will pay any remaining amount owed to you in accordance with the Terms and Conditions.

Please note that it is possible that we may welcome you back to the program after the beta period, provided that you take steps to eliminate non-U.S. traffic from clicking on your Yahoo! contextual ads. We enforce this policy to protect our advertisers? interests, and to reduce the amount of non-converting traffic that they receive.

Thank you for contributing to our beta program, and we hope to reinstate you in the future.
    Had I known they only wanted US traffic I would have set up a geo-targetted system to only serve for US traffic. I guess I should be more adamant about TOS from here on.

This puts me in a shitty situation... they wait until my account has thousands of dollars and then tell me I probably won't see a huge chunk of it, and who knows how long it will take before I am paid.

Everyone, be weary of YPN... at least until it's out of Beta.
    Jason

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Can't you just recruit American click slaves?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Can't you just recruit American click slaves?
    Tried that. All they did was outsource it to India...
    Jason

Wow, now that's a pretty strict rule. I didn't realize I needed to filter out my international traffic and hide the ads. What site doesn't get at least a little international traffic? This has me concerned.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Wow, now that's a pretty strict rule. I didn't realize I needed to filter out my international traffic and hide the ads. What site doesn't get at least a little international traffic? This has me concerned.

- Scott
    Yeah it really pist me off... They know that no site will geo-target Yahoo ads unless it's specifically emphasized, so there must be some sort of threshold (i.e. if more than 40% of clicks are International you get the boot).

It would be much easier if Yahoo didn't serve their ads when it was international, then we would never run into this issue. It's not like Yahoo doesn't have International advertisers anyway, guess it must just be part of the Beta phase. I even emailed a rep when I first began using their program and asked "What happens when ads are displayed when the user is outside the US?" and she stated that the ads will still be shown as normal, never indicating or warning me that I should not serve to that traffic.

Oh well... I guess that's the risk you take by participating in a Beta program. I'm just hoping that I don't get stiffed for too much of that money. I'll keep you posted when I learn more.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    Yeah it really pist me off... They know that no site will geo-target Yahoo ads unless it's specifically emphasized, so there must be some sort of threshold (i.e. if more than 40% of clicks are International you get the boot).
    I'd be upset too. I'm curious, what % of your traffic is international?

I found the condition they mentioned here:

https://publisher.yahoo.com/legal/tnc.php

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Ouch! How long have you been in their network?

Quote Originally Posted by jrod805
    Not the best thing to read just before I go to bed last night:

Had I known they only wanted US traffic I would have set up a geo-targetted system to only serve for US traffic. I guess I should be more adamant about TOS from here on.

This puts me in a shitty situation... they wait until my account has thousands of dollars and then tell me I probably won't see a huge chunk of it, and who knows how long it will take before I am paid.

Everyone, be weary of YPN... at least until it's out of Beta.

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I'd be upset too. I'm curious, what % of your traffic is international?

I found the condition they mentioned here:

https://publisher.yahoo.com/legal/tnc.php

- Scott
    It wasn't very bad for a while, but for the last couple weeks the international raised significantly (up to 80%). This is all for trivial reasons which would take forever to explain, but that US traffic will pick up normally again once some other things are finished. But like I said, had I been more informed, I wouldn't have had a problem only displaying ads for US traffic, even when it was only 20% of visitors.
    Jason

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by fg20878
    Ouch! How long have you been in their network?
    I've been there since October 2005... but I didn't start using them until January this year.
    Jason

ABW Ambassador
    I feel your pain, jRod805. It really should be up to Yahoo to take care of the geo-targeting on publishers sites. It's not very difficult to do from their perspective, but could be costly for affiliates/publishers to implement themselves.

I think this is a snide condition for Yahoo to impose. I know for certain that they have some deals with large publishers who ONLY show Yahoo ads to foreign (ie: not US/Canada) traffic. And yes, these are USA advertisers ads being shown to exclusively non-US traffic.

C'mon, Yahoo - if you want to geo-target your contextual ads then do it at your end. Don't ask your publishers to do your job for you.

lurk
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    I think this is a snide condition for Yahoo to impose. I know for certain that they have some deals with large publishers who ONLY show Yahoo ads to foreign (ie: not US/Canada) traffic. And yes, these are USA advertisers ads being shown to exclusively non-US traffic.
    Yeah, I've seen other situations aside from this where the big ad networks terms seem to not apply for larger websites. I guess if the volume is right, terms don't apply. I should know sometime in the beginning of March what they actually DO pay me.
    Jason

Well, that's a pretty stupid way to run a ad program. Google just serves the correctly geotargetted ad for the visitor, or presumably a PSA if there's nothing relevant.

Yahoo either need to build in some geotargetting functionality. At the very least, they could just ignore non-US clicks.

Why should you be punished for running a successful site?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Agreed, Dynamoo. The odd thing is that (on Yahoo.com at least), Yahoo do geo-target ads so they do use the technology there. So why not on publishers sites ? Seems damn stupid to me. But what do I know...I'm just a search engine marketer with 6-7 years experience.

I must say - I would never deal with Yahoo, ever again. Like a lot of ABWers, I've been ripped off by them in the past and won't touch them. I got hit in the great Inktomi bait-and-switch scam, and I know other people have been ripped off for directory listings just before those listings were dropped from the Yahoo SERPs.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with them.

I paid the $299 to get listed, and although they
    *did* bring me traffic, it was nothing to write
    home about.

I use Adsense, but got a warning the other
    day to not use it on pages that are in
    traffic exchanges.

Wow... I agree... Yahoo expecting the users to geo-target their sites is pretty stupid. That is definitely something that they should do on their end.
    [LEFT][URL=http://www.dcgolfreview.com]www.DCGolfReview.com[/URL]
    - Professional golf course reviews in the Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC area
    - Reliable equipment evaluations
    [/LEFT]

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    They want you to filter out all non-US traffic? I thought that was their job.

Yahoo PPC
    Yahoo Publisher

And they wonder why google is burying them.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; March 11th, 2006 at 09:50 AM.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

lurk
    Update:

So it looks like my last check was issued... they didn't take a dime back. They gave me all my money (which means that advertisers payed for international traffic without being refunded...) Anyway, I'm happy now
    Jason

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread