Ben Edelman is irresponsible...
    ...According to 180.

The sniping between a controversial adware company and a prominent anti-spyware researcher continued Thursday as 180solutions defended its practices and called critic Ben Edelman "irresponsible."

Earlier this week, Bellevue, Wash.-based 180 solutions, which distributes software that delivers ads to users' computers, blasted Edelman, a Harvard researcher, for improperly disclosing a hack into the company's installation software. Last week, Edelman had posted an analysis of an illegal download of 180's Zango software by an affiliate Web site of 180's advertising network.
    http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.j...leID=180207059

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy
    blasted Edelman, a Harvard researcher, for improperly disclosing a hack
    Aw diddums den.... Like anybody cares - rot on the ground like any other shat-out parasite.

Right. Who cares what they think?

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Go Ben Go!
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ben is right. No way can 180Solutions n-Case Zango and Searchscout exist without sleazy affiliate bundling and drive-by installs. Who, other then a retard, would ever legitimately agree to sabatage their system with this Adware/Spyware. I'd guess the same number of folks who'd pay to get a Reverse Tivo... one that blanks out TV programs and shows just the advertising.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    180Solutions Still Allowing Nonconsensual Installs
    February 21, 2006
    http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2723

rouge installer runs a pile of sites all ending with ????dollz.com Other like IconDressUp.com http://www.msnicon.com/dollz/dollz.htm and others are bundled Adware/Spyware sites targeting kids. Wank loves placing ISP and Portal trademarks in the names.

Domain name: msndollz.com

Registrant Contact:
    WizTeen Inc.
    Kyle Kapper (k13kyle@gmail.com)
    +1.13304757099
    Fax: +1.13304757987
    2157 Nolt Dr.
    Akron, State 44312
    US

Administrative Contact:
    WizTeen Inc.
    Kyle Kapper (k13kyle@gmail.com)
    +1.13304757099
    Fax: +1.13304757987
    2157 Nolt Dr.
    Akron, State 44312
    US

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd guess the same number of folks who'd pay to get a Reverse Tivo... one that blanks out TV programs and shows just the advertising.
    Hey, now! TV ads ARE better than the programs!

Getting blasted with 180 ads, on the other hand, would not be something I'd sign up for. A million pops, yech...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    180's getting desperate... they sound scared. All they can do is hurl unfounded character assaults on their exposers. Where's their defense or explanation? They don't have one, so they start reciting "I'm rubber and you're glue".

The FTC has recently received formal requests from the CDT concerning 180. The head of the FTC has announced new promises to pursue cyber thugs. Ben's shining lights on 180 as just another two-faced pimping perp. 180's end is coming.

And look, when was the last time you saw someone with a computer with 180 installed and delivering popups? I get around a lot and see tons of computers - when people see 180 popping, they add popup blockers or do whatever it takes to make it stop. In fact, I've never seen a single computer popping 180 ads, on an ongoing basis because the user wants it to continue (other than test computers). My take on all of this, 180 uses adware as a cover for their operations who true purpose is to get on board a pc to monitor communications for marketing information collection and resale for god knows what purposes, and to sit quietly and play tricks with affiliate commission tracking mechanisms. They dupe advertisers into believing the whole story - and I also predict the FTC will bust them for this as well. They've been caught lying so many times, I'm guessing they lie to advertisers about their true reach and tactics employed to achieve it as well.

Once the FTC looks inside 180's operations, they'll see the truth of it all and it'll stop abruptly and some key people at 180 will get spanked.

They see it coming.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    180 is like any spammer other than they represent themselves as a legit company so they can promote to naive businesses. Just like spammers, they will run out the technology and milk everything they can from it. They seem to be savvy though and will run the gamut until there is federal action. Ya, federal action when "monkeys fly out of my butt"!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    180 is like any spammer other than they represent themselves as a legit company so they can promote to naive businesses. Just like spammers, they will run out the technology and milk everything they can from it. They seem to be savvy though and will run the gamut until there is federal action. Ya, federal action when "monkeys fly out of my butt"!
    LOL ..Chuck. 180Solutions has no possibility for traction with the enity with all the power in this Adwhore battle... the victimized shopper On that monkey issue Charlie is trying to convience me to buy/develop Adwhoreperfume.com to satisfy marketing demand for PR spinmaster tools.

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Below is an update Ben posted on the issue

**********************Ben's Update*************************
    Here's my update on this issue: 1) 180 issued a press release saying they terminated the affiliate at issue, but actually they had terminated a different affiliate. (So the press release was false.) 2) They said they re-notified affected users, but I have received no such notification, and neither have users at Sunbelt. Details on my site .

See also discussion at techdirt , and see also Sunbelt's analysis of 180's false statements .
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Now, wait a minute here, I'm going to defend 180solutions here. . .tick....tick...tick....tick...tick... tick.....is the minute up yet? 'cause I got nothing.

Well it's a good thing that I'm not a lawyer, I would have lost this case.
    As Nelson "the Bully" from the Simpsons would say "HAA-HAA!"

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    ..beat it..
    As a new network, it's incredible how quickly we were contacted by metrics direct.. i gave a polite, professional response declining only to get a response back from one of their reps talking about how important it was to work together blah blah blah.. it was quite comical, actually. I should have saved that email to share with everyone here.. instead I blacklisted their domain for emails and hit the delete button promptly on the email message.

That rep has probably emailed me since... and is wondering why I havent responded.. well she can read this thread and it might help her figure it out

15 years and counting
    Gary - As a new network, it's incredible how quickly we were contacted by metrics direct.
    Less and less advertisers (and networks) are willing to work with them. Even AzoogleAds had to get rid of them this week. The rats are leaving the ship.
    Donuts - 180's getting desperate... they sound scared.
    I agree. Something's cooking.

Adware Firm 180Solutions Admits Error, Apologizes

180solutions, the controversial adware marketer admitted last week that it was initially unable to identify the rogue affiliate that was installing its Zango software illegally, and in fact found a pair of sites adding Zango to PCs without users' consent.

"As it turns out, we didn't get Mr. Edelman's guy on Monday. The guy we got on Monday, 'Sniper84,' was also installing our software in the same unauthorized manner," wrote Ken Smith, co-founder and chief technology officer of Bellevue, Wash.-based 180.
    http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.j...leID=181400560

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ABW Ambassador
    That is great, so their excuse is they have too many rogue affiliates to keep track of all the evildoers.

Also nice bit that instead of deactivating the bad stuff, they leave it up there and provide a "one click uninstall" - anyone have a screen shot of this? Bet it isn't confusing or looks like an ad they have been bombarding the users with all along, oh no...

Chet

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread