Couple of questions/comments
    Is anybody else a little concerned that the FTP username and password for datafeed access is the same as the account username/pwd?
    As I understand it, these are sent in plain text.
    Wouldn't it be better to allow different usernames and passwords for FTP, or offer SFTP?
    Also, as I am only interested in merchants with datafeeds, is there any way to apply to a program and request FTP access in one step? As it stands now, I have to join the program, then hunt them out in the list again, then apply for FTP access - just seems a bit long winded.
    Also, it would be great if merchants could be given the option to supply all their image files zipped up in one file - as it is now, with just the URLs to the images, it is painfully slow retrieving them over HTTP one at a time. It would take only a few secs to FTP a single zip file. :-)

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RWorld
    Also, it would be great if merchants could be given the option to supply all their image files zipped up in one file - as it is now, with just the URLs to the images, it is painfully slow retrieving them over HTTP one at a time. It would take only a few secs to FTP a single zip file. :-)
    Why not point and allow them to host the images (instead of downloading and hosting them on your server)?

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Why not point and allow them to host the images (instead of downloading and hosting them on your server)?
    Coz then you usually end up with tons of broken images ... especially when something like the linkshare fiasco of early this week goes on.
    Even if the item is unavailable, I like to maintain the integrity of my site with no broken images. It looks beddy beddy bad when a page is full of broken images

you can script handling of broken images for appearance sake.
    hosting the image yourself may mask larger problems, like broken links.
    you'll also make some things that a merchant can fix on the fly on their end result in breakage on your end until your next feed update.

there's pros and cons and I do understand your position.

i also want my site to be the best it can be, but in this case there's a trade off for extra maintenance that I see as yielding tiny gains, if any.

so for me, it's much ado about nothing, but...

my position would shift rapidly if i understood the magnitude of the seo ramifications of the image file's source / host. for me, this is the bigger question here. much, much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    you can script handling of broken images for appearance sake.
    Can you tell me how?

Quote Originally Posted by RWorld
    Is anybody else a little concerned that the FTP username and password for datafeed access is the same as the account username/pwd?
    As I understand it, these are sent in plain text.
    Wouldn't it be better to allow different usernames and passwords for FTP, or offer SFTP?
    Also, as I am only interested in merchants with datafeeds, is there any way to apply to a program and request FTP access in one step? As it stands now, I have to join the program, then hunt them out in the list again, then apply for FTP access - just seems a bit long winded.
    The point about ftp is a fair one - some sites allow you to change your master site password without it affecting your ftp password... or perhaps implementing an "email authentication" for changing any parameters to your SAS accounts?

As for images, I just have a script download every image from the feed and manipulate the image to my site's image settings (not all merchants have the same thumbnail sizes!). I track dead links daily - very simple with PHP CuRL to simply check that the link header code isn't a 404 or something like that - a server with a good internet connection can check many 1000s without much delay. Perl is even better with its threading capabilities to send out a few 1000 requests, so the script isn't waiting for the response from one link before moving onto the next one.
    I have a good server with a good connection. Why not serve the images from my server? If I used the merchant's images and one page displayed images from 20 merchants, then that page is going to take ages to load for the client, with the 20 different DNS lookups the client has to make to resolve each image from each merchant....

My advice is to stick with hosting the images yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by tmmmandm
    Can you tell me how?
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=68567

Yes, relying on an external site for the display of images really isn't an option for a control freak like myself - plus you are severely hamstringing yourself in terms of speed of delivery to the end user. Actually, I think I just had a bad connection before - it seems to be zipping along nicely now :-)

I wouldn't class hosting your own images as bringing "tiny gains" though - with so much competition around, and the patience of end users diminishing by the day, if your page loads in half the time of a competitor's, that's a huge advantage as far as I see it.

I don't know what the SEO ramifications would be - probably none, as it is just an image file, which has no intrinsic value to the SEs.

thank ya thank ya thank ya

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread