Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Google Analytics
    Finally got my Google Analytics invite, only took about 3 weeks. Placing the code on some pages tonight.
    Ive been using HitBox, is Google better, or the same? Should I just start ripping off all the HitBox code and go with Google? Would save me some cash for sure!
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    Finally got my Google Analytics invite, only took about 3 weeks. Placing the code on some pages tonight.
    Ive been using HitBox, is Google better, or the same? Should I just start ripping off all the HitBox code and go with Google? Would save me some cash for sure!
    Free is always better. :-) And Goog does a fine job of deciphering all the craziness. The only problem is you can't throw the Goog code into an SSI (include) and have to put it into each page individually.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

the other potential problem is that you lose whatever history you have if you just change over. Plus you may want to get used to it before fully committing in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    the other potential problem is that you lose whatever history you have if you just change over. Plus you may want to get used to it before fully committing in your mind.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I had not considered the history. I'll have to see if I can download the history, so I can have a record of it. If I decide to make a complete change over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Free is always better. :-) And Goog does a fine job of deciphering all the craziness. The only problem is you can't throw the Goog code into an SSI (include) and have to put it into each page individually.
    I don't see why you can't use SSI. You can just as easily use a PHP include and keep the code in your footer or header. There's no reason to edit each page individually unless you're 100% static.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I don't see why you can't use SSI. You can just as easily use a PHP include and keep the code in your footer or header. There's no reason to edit each page individually unless you're 100% static.

- Scott
    Uhmmm - OK. ;-) I am the ultimate "fell into this and got lucky" kinda gal. I have no idea what you're saying. LOL - Sorry. I know you think I should and I appreciate your information, but here's what I found:

I use front page. When I put the code in my navigation include page that goes on the bottom of all pages throughout my site, the code doesn't track. I had to put it in the headers on all pages. Maybe if I knew WTF I was doing, I'd be able to create an include in the header on all pages but alas, I don't.

So, maybe it IS possible and then Goog Analytics is a beautiful, wonderful free tool.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Uhmmm - OK. ;-) I am the ultimate "fell into this and got lucky" kinda gal. I have no idea what you're saying. LOL - Sorry. I know you think I should and I appreciate your information, but here's what I found:

I use front page. When I put the code in my navigation include page that goes on the bottom of all pages throughout my site, the code doesn't track. I had to put it in the headers on all pages. Maybe if I knew WTF I was doing, I'd be able to create an include in the header on all pages but alas, I don't.

So, maybe it IS possible and then Goog Analytics is a beautiful, wonderful free tool.
    It must be something that front page is doing strange. It doesn't matter if you include the code in your header, footer, navigation or anywhere else on the page. I suggest using PHP to handle this.

- Scott

It must be something that front page is doing strange. It doesn't matter if you include the code in your header, footer, navigation or anywhere else on the page. I suggest using PHP to handle this.

- Scott
    Ah - therein lies the problem. I have no idea what PHP is or how to use it. :-) If I knew programming and code, I'd be a dangerous individual. Be glad I don't. ;-)

I don't know if it's an issue with Front Page. The code is placed in the HTML on a page that is used as an include page throughout my site. It probably isn't being read as part of any individual page because in essence, it's its own stand alone page. No clue really. But maybe someone who knows what you're talking about can use the information you've provided. I love reading through threads where you code and programming guys go to town ... kind of like learning a new language by just jumping in and trying to communicate. Eventually, the message gets across. :-) From what I've gathered over the months, I absolutely must figure out and learn what PHP is, plus a lot of other techie things. UGH - The learning curves we go though in this business are steep, indeed.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

PHP is a great way to go and it allows you to do almost anything with your site. I use it to manage my datafeeds, calculate product clicks, sort products, filter prices, product searches, etc, etc, etc. If you want to make a site that's dynamic and easy to maintain, PHP is a great way to go. Check out www.phpfreaks.com for some tutorials. Lots of information there.

- Scott

PHP is a great way to go and it allows you to do almost anything with your site. I use it to manage my datafeeds, calculate product clicks, sort products, filter prices, product searches, etc, etc, etc. If you want to make a site that's dynamic and easy to maintain, PHP is a great way to go. Check out www.phpfreaks.com for some tutorials. Lots of information there.

- Scott
    Thank you Scott! Remind me to buy you a drink Saturday night! :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Rexanne,

This really does not require PHP. It would be adding a layer of complication and masking the true problem.

How are you getting the current tracking code into your site?

P
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Rexanne,

This really does not require PHP. It would be adding a layer of complication and masking the true problem.

How are you getting the current tracking code into your site?

P
    In front page, I hit control 'Q' which opens an HTML box. I paste the Goog code in there (in the include page) and then include that "page" containing the navigation links at the bottom of every page on my site.

I can do this with other stats programs, but it doesn't work with Goog Analytics, which must be in the page header. I might be missing something but simple for me works better than having to learn programming or code to build or work my site. I am currently using Stat Counter and it's great. Same info as Goog (that I need anyway) and it works in this include page on all pages of my site.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

How do you know it is not working? If you just got the account yesterday then it may be OK. Google takes a LONG time to start posting the results.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

How do you know it is not working? If you just got the account yesterday then it may be OK. Google takes a LONG time to start posting the results.
    I have had Goog Analytics from when they first launched. It didn't track the code in the include page even after a week or more. :-( It did track the pages I put in the headers on some pages right away, however.

Thanks for trying to help, though.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Aha. OK. Gotcha.

Can you post what part of the page looks like after you pasted in the Javascript? That might help.
    ---
    ---

Aha. OK. Gotcha.

Can you post what part of the page looks like after you pasted in the Javascript? That might help.
    I probaly could if it was still on my page but I've since removed it. But then again, I might think what you're saying is something totally different than what you imagined. LOL - I am truly geek-impaired.

If it will help someone else, however, I'll be happy to re-paste the code into a page and post the code.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Are there other "free" analytics besides Goog that do a good job? I would like to know this for myself, but It may also give you an alternative to use with FrontPage.

Internet Cowboy
    I'd say do a sitewide search for </body> and replace it with

googlenalyticscode</body>

If it is simple code that goes in the body that will get it in there on each page. If the code goes in the head just replace body with head above.

I don't know anything about FrontPage so I can't help with that, but I do know that I placed G's code in the footer yesterday, and started seeing stats today.

I would like to know exactly how to do a sitewide search for </body> and replace it with googlenalyticscode</body>

I've never done that, it would help me out a lot. Is that done with FrontPage? I'm still in the dark ages, I just simply hand write the html myself. I really need to get some software to save me some time.

- Scott
    Great link Scott

Is PHP universally allowed by all hosts or are there some hosts that do not permit PHP?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I would like to know exactly how to do a sitewide search for </body> and replace it with googlenalyticscode</body>

I've never done that, it would help me out a lot. Is that done with FrontPage? I'm still in the dark ages, I just simply hand write the html myself. I really need to get some software to save me some time.
    You can do a search & replace with Dreamweaver

Open the page you wish to edit
    Choose Edit->Find & Replace from the menu bar or use Ctrl + F
    You'll see a Find & Replace dialog box
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Dmags
    Are there other "free" analytics besides Goog that do a good job? I would like to know this for myself, but It may also give you an alternative to use with FrontPage.
    Stat Counter - The url is the name.com. It's good, too. Goog gives the ability to track PPC campaigns though which a lot of you will find useful. Not sure about the rest of the differences but Stat Counter rocks for me.

Thanks everyone else for trying to help this tech-phobe. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    You can do a search & replace with Dreamweaver

Open the page you wish to edit
    Choose Edit->Find & Replace from the menu bar or use Ctrl + F
    You'll see a Find & Replace dialog box
    Thanks, but I don't use Dreamweaver. I am working on it, and think that I may have found a way to do it. Just never thought about it before. My dumb mistake.

One of the great things about being at ABW, learning things you have not previously considered.

Thanks, but I don't use Dreamweaver. I am working on it, and think that I may have found a way to do it. Just never thought about it before. My dumb mistake.

One of the great things about being at ABW, learning things you have not previously considered.
    Uh huh.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Thanks, but I don't use Dreamweaver.

You said you hand coded your pages in notepad/wordpad and you expressed an interest in an html editor (in the previous post you asked about Frontpage).
    I thought perhaps you were looking for that feature in an html editor so I gave the for Dreamweaver.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast