Excel tab-delimited export confuses WebMerge

The problem I'm experiencing is that fields in Excel containing commas are being wrapped in quotes by the Excel tab-delimited export.

Excel text entered:

Excel tab-delimited export:

WebMerge output:
    text "text,with,comma
    ...which then causes problems with the html code

WebMerge gets confused on the quotes that appear in this situation.

Comma-delimited export is not an option since my file contains commas I've tried the raw option, but it does not help because WebMerge is getting hung up on the input file before it ever goes to the output file containing the tag with the raw option.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to experience this. Is there a work around or has anyone figured this out already?

My enormous thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to being able to enjoy the time-saving benefits of this tool!

I am not sure I understood you fully, but I get the same result when exporting to tab-delimited. I use TextPad with a RegEx search replace to remove instances of ["][end of line], [tab]["] and ["][tab] before running WebMerge.

Affiliate Manager
    Los Angeles, California
    Quote Originally Posted by cscull
    WebMerge gets confused on the quotes that appear in this situation.
    There's a checkbox in the Sources tab labeled "Text values are in quotes" -- when thart's checked WebMerge will faithfully parse most common quoted-value formats reliably. It's been tested with output from a wide variety of applications, including Excel, FileMaker, Access, and many others, and in the last year we've not had one reproducible report of a parsing error.

That said, there's always one more format out there, and little consistency among different vendors in how they format their output, so we can't rule out the possibility that you've discovered a format WebMerge can't handle.

Please send me a compressed copy of a >2MB portion of your source file, and note where it came from (which application, what settings used for export). I'll see what I can do to make WebMerge able to handle that too if it doesn't already.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread