If Google Is So Big...
    How come it is behind Yahoo as the most visited site online:

http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sit...e=lang&lang=en

I thought google had more market share when it came to searches than Yahoo did.

mopek

Yahoo is a lot more than search. Most of their traffic is mail, news, and other things. When you just look at search, Google has the most market share and is growing even larger.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yahoo's got more than "just" search. There's also Yahoo news, shopping, etc. Traffic going to those non-search areas also counts.

So even though G's got the most *search* marketshare, Y's overall traffic is greater.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Hmm, I understand.

Then it's amazing that Yahoo can't convert most of it's mail-users (and other services) to serach-users as well.

I have one yahoo email address and am surprised they don't put a search box on every page (ex: inbox, sent folder etc...)

mopek

Google does have a larger share of the search market, but yahoo doesn't just have search on its front page so people visit for more than search. A big factor will be yahoo mail. There's also yahoo news, finance and local personalisation. Also Yahoo has it's own independant directory where google are using their copy of dmoz. Personalisation of google is possible, but it's not so well used or known plus yahoo has more of this upfront. And as is always pointed out alexa isn't the most accurate as it seems to count domain visited and only by Alexa users. Google and yahoo have many international and subdomains that may not be properly taken into account by alexa.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Yahoo is a lot more than search. Most of their traffic is mail, news, and other things. When you just look at search, Google has the most market share and is growing even larger.
    From what I am seeing at http://searchenginewatch.com/reports...le.php/2156451
    the percentage that Google has of the market has been virtually unchanged in the last year.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I hate alexa rankings. Don't really portray an accurate rating.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

I heard, google gives yahoo 9/10 out of spite.

Yahoo search is technically on the fronpage, just nowhere near as clean as Googles... Anyone seen statistcs lately on how many browsers (humans) carry the Google toolbar now? I'm sure that hurts Y and MSN a lot...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    From what I am seeing at http://searchenginewatch.com/reports...le.php/2156451
    the percentage that Google has of the market has been virtually unchanged in the last year.
    Look at it a few years ago, and you'll see that Google has really taken a lot.

Also, I was thinking of this thread and story. One quote in the story says: "Yahoo! handled 19 percent of global Internet searches in November, a drop from 27 percent a year earlier, according to Web tracker ComScore Networks Inc." Another: "Google's share, by contrast, rose to 60 percent from 47 percent."

Also, there are a lot of stories about Google's growing market share internationally. A quote: "Citing data culled by comScore, Bear Stearns said Google's international market share in November rose to 71.3% from 68.9% in the prior month."
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Also don't forget that google attracts a smarter audience, suggests firefox to people, their own toolbar etc. All of which kill Alexa off.

Alexa only counts webmasters looking to inflate their traffic and people who can't figure out how to uninstall the alexa toolbar and install google's.

Chet

Google has been very inovative in terms or concept and implementation. Yahoo and specially eBay hasn't really changed much over the years though they are trying to play catchup. Yahoo has a lot of baggage it has been carrying around (comes with being there longer) while Google has taken over not only Yahoo in terms of searching etc, but also in some of the new products they have launched. Compare Yahoo's Seach Marketing with Google's Adwords - and you know who takes the top spot. Also check out Google's Earth, which has mapped satellite pix of most of the cities and you can even locate your house on the map - and it is free.. Check it out at

http://earth.google.com/

If you think Google Earth is cool, check out Zillow.com.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    If you think Google Earth is cool, check out Zillow.com.
    Nice.. On the similar lines, check out housingmaps.com

It's a meshup of google maps and craigslist.

-nishith

There's a lot of buzz about Zillow in Real Estate circles... It will do TO real Estate Agents what WebMD did TO doctors... I can't imagine what the doctor's have to deal with with everyone being self dignosed by the time they get into the office Try moving someone off of a conviction that they have Lupis or something when they only have the flu

The interesting thing about Zillow (in the Beta phase anyhow), is that it shows tax assessment values, which really only plays a small part in the sale price of a home... But it's a very cool website, and I'll bet he'll do well with it. If they start answering emails on advertising on their site, that is... The firm I represent wanted in, but we haven't heard back yet...

Wouldn't we all like a site where we couldn't keep up with the advertising requests?
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Electropulse
    I heard, google gives yahoo 9/10 out of spite.
    and I heard you have a stick up your ass about Google because you can't build a decent web site... that's just the rumor anyway...

As far as Zillow.com - I think that site is complete BS! It shows my house's value as being about $40k below what it could sell for now. And my parent's house at easily $150k under what they could get for it now....... They have A LOT of work to do before their site is anything but laughable.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Yeah, the values are off in some areas and the comps aren't always comparable, but it has a lot of promise. With some more complete sales data and improved algorithms, I think it could be considerably more accurate.

Cool! I just noticed that if you zoom out, it shows average house valuations for cities, zip codes, counties, and states!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    It's too bad you can't permanently update the houses' values based on improvements... for example, we can get ours to where it should be by adding in all the improvements we've made such as, new windows, HVAC, water heater, electrical, roof, garage, kitchen, etc... but I don't think my parents would be able to make up their $150k difference. Their neighbors just sold their house for over $140k more than the site says my parents' house is worth, but my parents' house is larger and has many more improvements, so who knows, it could be off by as much as $180k easy.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    and I heard you have a stick up your ass about Google because you can't build a decent web site... that's just the rumor anyway...
    prolly a major rumour...but I did hear today that google stock went down, now, I don't think it's a rumour.

As I mentioned, Zillow's valuations are based on Tax Data from 2004. Also, I do beleive they will allow current homeowners to update listing info based on Home Improvement, etc.

Remember: Tax Data has nothing to do with asking price. But also remember, if you purchase a home for something well over the assessed TAX value, expect a call from City Hall
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread