Hitbox?
    I just clicked on one of my merchant's links and it created the following cookie:
    ehg-commjun.hitbox.com

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Are you asking what Hitbox is?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thanks for the reply Noth.
    Yes. And why did it create a cookie after clicking the merchant's link.

Hitbox tracks a visitors actions through the shopping cart venture. The cookie is part of that process. Quite a few top quality merchants use it. It has been pegged as nasty by some folks on this board. I don't know that much about it... But do a search for Hitbox on this board, and you'll find more info.

In this particular case, they must be specifically monitoring the cart path of CJ referrals. Ecom or Donuts or one of the other Guru's can probably tell you more...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thank you.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Back in the dark ages of the Net, it used to be a service which tracked hits, paths taken through sites, referrers etc. If that's still all it does, I would think it's actually okay, unless I saw evidence of it not being...

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Back in the dark ages of the Net, it used to be a service which tracked hits, paths taken through sites, referrers etc. If that's still all it does, I would think it's actually okay, unless I saw evidence of it not being...
    I still use Hitbox for tracking of my sites.
    If it is the dark ages, please bring me into the light. Always looking to be enlightened.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    I still use Hitbox for tracking of my sites.
    If it is the dark ages, please bring me into the light. Always looking to be enlightened.
    Looks like I may need the enlightening...

I called it the dark ages, because that's the last time I saw the free service they used to have. After a while, they got rid of the free option and only had an expensive, paid version. Then I stopped seeing them at all, except on big merchant sites. So I thought they'd gotten out of the business of dealing with "regular-sized" sites (or priced themselves out of the market...same difference)...

Did they stick with the expensive option they had been using when I lost track of them, or has the price come down over time? I forgot how much it used to be, but I remember laughing in response, and ending up just reading my log files directly...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Looks like I may need the enlightening...

I called it the dark ages, because that's the last time I saw the free service they used to have. After a while, they got rid of the free option and only had an expensive, paid version. Then I stopped seeing them at all, except on big merchant sites. So I thought they'd gotten out of the business of dealing with "regular-sized" sites (or priced themselves out of the market...same difference)...

Did they stick with the expensive option they had been using when I lost track of them, or has the price come down over time? I forgot how much it used to be, but I remember laughing in response, and ending up just reading my log files directly...
    You are right, Hitbox is too expensive. Iím going to work on phasing them out, and use Google. Will save me a bunch of cash!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It's a ecommerce spyware tool that fuels the merchants ability to bleed all affiliate success tactics for their own in-house SEM/SEO campaigns. The DNA of the entire clickstream from SE keyword, affiliate click page, BHO hijack to cart checkout is revealed. Merchant AM's with access just whiteout the BHO intercepts or pass them the best keywords to pop on to pad their numbers.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    It's a ecommerce spyware tool that fuels the merchants ability to bleed all affiliate success tactics for their own in-house SEM/SEO campaigns. The DNA of the entire clickstream from SE keyword, affiliate click page, BHO hijack to cart checkout is revealed. Merchant AM's with access just whiteout the BHO intercepts or pass them the best keywords to pop on to pad their numbers.
    WOW! Did not know all that. I was just using them to keep track of my stats.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Ah, so it's not Hitbox's presence itself that's a problem, it's what bad AMs/merchants are doing with the data...

Quote Originally Posted by Trying To Win
    Iím going to work on phasing them out, and use Google. Will save me a bunch of cash!
    Google may be okay, but personally I wouldn't let them so close to my stats. They can go ahead and wonder how the heck I'm getting any traffic...I'm sure they get too much info just from me having AdSense up, as it is.

The real rub on network run and indy AM firms comes from using HITbox, and other clickstream datamining apps, together with network combined success stats on merchants and affiliates to operate staff member affiate sites in competition. Recently when CJ banned higher-up employees from operating competing affiliate sites, using insider scraped and archieved conversion info, 3 CJ management employees left to run sites and SEO/SEM operations with insider information.

Guess even CJ/Valueclick have their limits when trying to operate their other enities in competition with CJ and BF affiliates. They don't need greedy employees with access to datamining HitBox type stats, and network conversion stats. diluting their own affiliate competition sites using the same info...

ValueClick Media and Fastclick -- Brand and Direct Online Advertising Networks

-- Commission Junction -- Affiliate and Search Marketing

-- HiSpeed Media -- Online Direct Response Lead Generation

-- Webclients.net -- Innovative Technology and Offers for Lead Generation

-- PriceRunner -- Comprehensive Comparison Shopping Site

-- ValueClick Search -- Highly Targeted Search Traffic

-- Mediaplex -- Intelligent Technology for Digital Marketing

plus a bunch of co-partnership web sites... http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...lick+companies

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Google may be okay, but personally I wouldn't let them so close to my stats. They can go ahead and wonder how the heck I'm getting any traffic...I'm sure they get too much info just from me having AdSense up, as it is.
    Just out of curiosity, why would you be concerned about Google knowing your stats?

Leader sure shouldn't worry to much about Google sharing her personal affiliate success stats, just as she doesn't fear SAS sharing her merchant program stats with competitors. The danger lies when any major merchant farms out their program to the so called professional AM firms and networks. Hitbox is just the tip of the clickstream data mining scheme to empower those blinded by a greed driven advertising mindset clouding their ethics and anonomous online behaviors.

Take a major enity www.advertising.com (now an AOL company) who uses every trick in the Adwhore arsenal to pillage Ad budgets and operate side enities with data mined insider information....

"About Advertising.com - Advertising.com, Inc. maximizes the power of Internet advertising by leveraging its technology, reach and knowledge to deliver measurable results for advertisers and publishers. The company operates the industry's largest interactive advertising network, reaching over 94 million unique visitors monthly via the Web and more than 75 million email subscribers (LOL). Advertising.com's best-of-breed AdLearnģ optimization technology, ACE Serveô ad management technology and interactive marketing expertise ensure maximum results for its clients, which have included 16 of the top 20 advertisers in the U.S. and all of the top 10 advertisers in the U.K."

Now enter the Adwhore mentality, seeing the internal data mined spike in revenue from shoving advertising to bogus anti-spyware/adware programs, and you get SPYBLAST launched. http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/p...x?id=453076615 from www.Teknosurf.com (click to see who they are!) Whoopie ...Scott Ferber the CEO and founder jumps into Adware/Spyware bigtime as a sideline.

Now watch what happens when access to conversion stats, data mined clickstream stats and network data fall into the hands of those ruled by an advertising mindset...
    One step from doing a PERP WALK as the FTC reaches out to protect the general public from the advertising networks... supposedly working for the merchant advertisers... http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/04231...ree0423196.pdf

At an indivual site level, Google knowing stats is no big deal but since they are or probably will be one of the largest sellers of online ad inventory, do you really want them to know the source of all your traffic or a majority of traffic in your industry or on the net, where it comes from & how it converts? With that kind of information they can potentially determine just how much ad placements are worth to advertisers and price their inventory accordingly (and those prices probably aren't going to go down). If you place a newspaper ad for $100.00 and you make a profit of $10,000 from it, would you volunteer that information to the newspaper so they know they are selling theior inventory for far less than it is worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    Just out of curiosity, why would you be concerned about Google knowing your stats?
    No fears of them sharing my data. But, they seem to be a bit prejudiced against my sites lately (either that, or my SEO...er, I mean, their algo...just sucks). So I figure, no need to make it *totally* easy for them to target their SERP nukes.

Quote Originally Posted by EcomCity
    Take a major enity www.advertising.com (now an AOL company) who uses every trick in the Adwhore arsenal to pillage Ad budgets and operate side enities with data mined insider information....
    Argh, that's pretty sleazy...

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread