Angry FRAUD Question -
    Ok I know this is one of the most computer savy places on the net. I just had some spinleless jelly fish use my credit card to make a purchase at a company that to me looks to be a scam site since the shopping cart links to not work and it links to a bunch of copy cat sites. So I would say the whole thing is fake and my number was made by a card generator. Same thing different story happend to my father ( whos 70 and can't type ) for internet purchases, he fumbles with a calculator.

My question after doing some digging I have narrowed it down and I think I found the owner of the domain. Besides the credit card company who can I turn them into, to get the little jerk put in a nice safe place... lets say federal prison.

Ok, done venting..

Is there a federal agency I can report this to ? and if so please point me in the proper direction.
    Need eBooks ? [URL=http://www.softebooks.com]We gott'em[/URL]:escape:<br>

I would stab a guess at your local sheriff's, DA's or law offices.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    You could try complaining to the FTC as well as local law enforcement.

(Links to complaint forms, and phone #s to complain to, are at the bottom of that page.)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks, I will call the FTC on Monday and my local police tomorrow.

I called the domain registar with no evail they gave me their website address which I already had. They told me to go to their website and request a refund. Funny thing is the shopping cart on the site isn't working, I told them this so they tried it. I said Now how could I have made a purchase ??

They had no answer...Except wanting my CC number to check for purchases. My answer: I don't think so.

Needless to say I would never do business with that registar.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    They had no answer...Except wanting my CC number to check for purchases. My answer: I don't think so.
    *Spin mismatch detected! Alert, Alert!*

In order to "check for purchases," a person would have to know what transactions went through the site in question.

If they can do that, they're probably responsible for the site, or have access to it. Someone who didn't have access wouldn't roll that spin. It sounds more like you ended up in contact with the site's operator himself, and he got his site-related BS lines mixed up with his registrar BS.

In other words, you were probably actually talking to the SOB who put up that site.

I think you should mention that registrar's unusual response to the feds and cops when you file your complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    *Spin mismatch detected! Alert, Alert!*
    In order to "check for purchases," a person would have to know what transactions went through the site in question.
    I was wondering about that myself, I was assuming they (registar) were handling the clients CC transactions. I will let the Feds know about that slip-up. Thanks for the detective work Leader.

If I do find out they are one in the same I will post the company's URL , I don't want to tarnish a company unless I know they are at fault.

Make sure you share all of this info with the bank that issued the card too. It will help with the charge back and they likely have a department that does stuff like this all day long...saving you the time of hunting down the right person to talk with.

Then again if you want to spend the time to make it happen...more power to you!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The fact this bogus site links to CC washing sister sites reeks of organized affiliate thievery. If the registrar in question offers ecommerce hosting they do have access to the cart admin screens to look into activity prior to disabling the "add to cart" button or carbon copy order confirmation logs. The hosting company should work with the cyber-cop authorities to get the complete DNA of this rising crime. The exploiting of stolen credit cards to earn quick commissions through affiliate links is the unlocked backdoor all networks watch. Just read some recent ABW posts on red alert network deactivation notices and inquiries here to use feeds to power potentially bogus ecommerce affiliate sites.

This cc washing and ecommerce phishing exploit points out why it's a disaster to willy nilly offer feeds to the unwashed masses of affiliates....without verification checks on involved domains. Sure the feeds are the easiest way to achieve SERP spamming and paneling tools, but they also fuel ALL ecommerce phishing sites seeking fresh credit card numbers and privacy info. For the cheap cost of 14.95 for the first few months of ecommerce hosting the cyber-conmen can scrape thousands of dollars in useable and sellable consumer financial and privacy info.

I look forward to ABWers getting the full story on this thread topic as the affiliate industry tries to keep from being the prime outlet for monitizing stolen credit card info to the tune of billions.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

One thing that I would add is that tracking down the domain owner is probably not useful: The offiicial domain owner listed at the registrar is probably also the victim of credit card fraud.

No Bull: About a year ago I noticed a fraud charge, someone registered a domain with me as the registrar for 29.95, it was epayments.comnet or something. Clearly a phishing scheme, the credit card company nor the registrar would refund the charges.

You can try filing a complaint with www.ic3.gov (The Internet Crime Complaint Center) as well.

Thanks we have started the process.
    If you find a charge on your card for: DOTSPAN VENTURES BOSTON MA.
    I would investigate it.
    Drop the name in to google and you will find a Romania & China connection if you dig a little.

re
    is there a problem with this company? i had previously worked with this one.
    please give us more details

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byteme95
    is there a problem with this company? i had previously worked with this one.
    please give us more details
    Hope you can just visit the perps during the visiting hours at prison to get some more juicy info.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    While you should notify everyone you can, the sad truth is - nothing will happen.

It is probably too small of an amout for the FBI ($10,000+) and the local police will not be sophisticated enough to understand the issue. You might get lucky, but various times I have spent hours trying to explain things like this to the local police and they are always just mystified.

The other hope you have is there have been enough reports that someone wants to get the paperwork off their desk and will forward it to someone with a clue.

And am I confused, you just posted here for help right? It isn't an actual affiliate program right?

Chet

http and a telephoto
    Check the thread date, byteme revived a thread from March....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    ahhh... probably more of a spam me... kind of guy... my bad.

re
    hello again

i am making some investigations about the company.
    i would be happy if apex-auctions would care to respond, or anybody on this forums had any experiences with this one.

@chetf the FBI gets involved if the sum is bigger. the local police SHOULD get involved

@ecomcity funny

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread