Anyone use the chat any more?
    Anyone use the chat any more? Ibeen away from abw for a while and it seems like the chat is dead.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I never have like chat rooms of any type.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I rarely see anyone use it anymore.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I will qualify my previous comment. I do like the chat support that I get with my server. Not really a "chat room" but it sure beats waiting for an hour with a phone on one's shoulder or trying to get something accomplished via email. I have had some pretty major problems corrected through these chat sessions - they are the best online support in my opinion.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Tax Paying Member
    Chat Room
    My wife forbids me to play in chat rooms. I had a heck of a time explaning the difference between a forum and a chat room.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I don't feel as if I have time to chat anymore. There are just too many things on my plate to spend time shmoozing. It is a good way to meet people and make friends, but it's not a priority for me.

I would be interested in chatting if a specific time and topic was set. I think that would work well for us as a group. Perhaps if we could suggest some topics Haiko would be willing to post a chat schedule with date/time and topic.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    My wife forbids me to play in chat rooms. I had a heck of a time explaning the difference between a forum and a chat room.
    LMAO!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I think the lack of interest in chat rooms reflects the evolution of Internet use.

Back in 1996 when I first got on the web the idea of a chat room was very exciting. Does anyone remember "Chat House?" That was the only chat venue at one time.

Then IRC/MIRC became a rage.

I remember being very into ICQ at one time -- now I've sort of lost interest in instant messengers ( I think mainly because the people I would IM with lost interest).

What's the big fad now?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    chat shmat..
    i have never gotten into chat rooms.. and in fact very few forums. ABW is one forum that I have really enjoyed learning from and getting involved with.. and I also visit/participate in several forums about the outdoor industry and skiing...including my own forum (it's new but it's doin pretty good and I am having a blast baning link spam IPs..)..

but chat rooms, nah... other than the Yahoo! IM conference feature. That's pretty cool. An invite only chat room.

Gary M
    Last edited by GravityFed; February 27th, 2006 at 03:23 AM. Reason: wasnt very clear..

ABW Ambassador
    I would be interested in chatting if a specific time and topic was set. I think that would work well for us as a group. Perhaps if we could suggest some topics Haiko would be willing to post a chat schedule with date/time and topic.
    That's a nice suggestion, Rhea
    Probably a vote can be had on 3-4 topics and it can be done every week/month or so - with the transcripts available as archive. This "Affiliate Chat" can focus on only one topic or a new merchant etc.
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

I think it is great, sometimes. But, I always seem to just miss scheduled stuff.

I think forums are better because you can add to or catch up when you are available. Also, you have more opportunity to add to edit, revise your post so you are more likely to say what you mean and communicate it better.

But, for things you don't want hanging out there forever or want to share with a limited number of people, chat is great.

I have gotten some of my best help in simi-private chats.
    Last edited by SSanf; February 27th, 2006 at 02:55 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    Well we had a nice chat last night :P

I've never had any luck with the chat client here. It works but nobody is ever available. When I try to idle it'll disconnect me eventually, so I can't even wait for a visitor to come and say hi. I prefer IRC because I can idle day and night without ever getting disconnected. I maintain an IRC channel for one of my sites and it works as a very nice extension of my site's features. People come and discuss topics on my site and I can ask for opinions on design tweaks or new features right away from people in my chat channel.

Personally, I'm addicted to chat. I run IRC, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo Chat and MSN Chat all day and night. I've got friends all over the place, so I need to use each chat network just to keep in touch with everybody. When I was living overseas AIM was a life saver. I was able to communicate with my friends as if I were right there at home. I love to chat.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ok checking out chat now - just snib and i at the moment - come join us
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Yes Dfl we had a nice chat last night about the inner workings of contexual advertising and how to make money online.

I also heard that there were free tips given out
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    shhh, those are secrets, hahahaha!

Yeah that chat was good. I like the chat because it's quicker then conversing via a forum.

Here we grow again!

I think if we can get chat active again and have active participation in http://www.offtopicdiscussions.com/ it will liven the old place up.

It was starting to get pretty dry around here.

I mean, how many merchant announcements, speculations about parasites and ponderings about whether a network is tracking can you read and maintain interest?

Yep, time to get lively again.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I'm there now if anyone would like to join in. I'll leave it logged in all day

I am available on chat most of the day. I find that I more frequently get intra-office communications than Affiliate questions -- but I like the ability to make a quick response.

I'm there now...and it's getting packed

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread