Did you know that unlike many places, you have to actually ADD a product to your shopping cart to see if it's in stock. I'm used to seeing this on the product landing page (ie the one surfers immediately hit when coming from my site) so accidentally, 2 thirds of the products i've put up links for today are out of stock anyway!

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: futuresky ]

ABW Ambassador
    Oh man, now THAT is a major PITA.

I kept wondering why three of my hot-sellers weren't selling... and kept double-checking to make sure the links worked... and didn't see an OOS notice, so I ASSUMED.

Yep, tried to add them to the shopping cart and all three are OOS.

[edited to add: This issue also exists with NewLine Cinema (both companies under the same management)]

I'm going to send a note to the AM about this thread/issue.

Thanks very much for the post!

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: Cedric ]

ABW Ambassador
    If you are pushing WB it would not hurt to add some Amazon links to the same pages.

Amazon has most of the same stuff as WB, and then some. Sure the 5% commission is lower, but you also benefit by being able to make a sale when WB is out of stock, making a sale on items WB does not have, and, if the site visitor has been shopping around, Amazons prices are lower on most items so you may make a sale to a visitor who otherwise may have bought from another site that exclusively features WB.

[run on - my English teacher roll over in her grave ] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    It's a good thought, but the items I was promoting were high-end exclusives (or near exclusive, I know that amazon didn't have them).

In general, I really like promoting WB and NewLine... they both convert extremely well for me and I give them a boost where I can.

This situation is a PITA not only from the affiliate perspective, but from the customer perspective. You really don't want someone to commit to a several-hundred dollar purchase and THEN be told they can't make it.

Thanks for reminding me of The Amazon Alternative Uncle_Deelz. Just checked and Amazon don't have what I'd featured, but it was a good idea.

It's a relief to hear that WBshop does convert well for stuff that is in stock, but yes, the "out of stock" thing is a pain.

I'm the affiliate manager for WBShop.com and NewLineShop.com. I was very concerned after reading this string, as we don't keep any out of stock items on either of our sites. When an item is no longer available, it's removed from our site. I figured out what is going on here. These products that you refer to should not be on anyone's site. Whenever products are discontinued from WBShop.com or NewLineShop.com, we upload a new product file to CJ and they replace all old products with the new file. Unfortunately, after talking with CJ today, the system is flawed in that when we delete an item from the CJ Product Link section, it is no longer available to publishers from that day forward. However, the flaw is in the fact that when we delete a product from CJ, publishers who already have that product on their site are still allowed to keep the product up...so it doesn't come up as a broken link, etc. I'm working with CJ to figure out a more formal solution to this, but until I do, I send out an email through CJ to all publishers every time a product is discontinued from our site and I delete it from the CJ product links section (I just sent the below emails out today). I will also try to contact via email directly, any affiliate who has old products up. Most importantly, I'm working diligently with CJ to solve this problem.

Note: Although the popular, high-end Lord of the Rings jewelry (e.g. the gold One Ring, the Arwen Pendant, the Sterling Silver Brooch) are no longer available, there are new items being made to replace these, from a new vendor, and they'll be available on our site in a few weeks.

-----

We no longer carry the following items and have deleted them from our Product Links section. If you have these products on your site, please remove them immediately. We will send an email out like this every time a product is taken of our site and deleted from the CJ Product Links section.

WBShop.com
    -Harry Potter Hogwarts Backpack
    -Harry Potter: Mirror of Erised Fossil Watch
    -Harry Potter Girls' Backpack
    -Harry Potter Messenger Bag
    -Harry Potter Journey to Hogwarts Musical Jewelry Box
    -Set of Four Harry Potter House Mugs
    -Set of Four Looney Tunes Tumblers
    -Matrix Logo T-shirt
    -Matrix 'Darkness' Poster
    -Scooby-Doo Bendable Figures - 5 piece set
    -Scooby-Doo Backpack with Plush Doll
    -Scooby-Doo Sport Lamp
    -Tweety Plush Golf Headcover

NewLineShop.com
    -Prancing Pony and Green Dragon Inn Pint Set
    -Applause The Rings of Power - The One Ring
    -Lord of the Rings Map of Middle-earth Wall Scroll
    -Lord of the Rings Ringwraiths Wall Scroll
    -Sterling Silver Elven Leaf Brooch
    -Solid 10k Gold One Ring in Wooden Gift Box
    -Sterling Silver Arwen Evenstar Pendant

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: WBShop/NewLineShop ]

ABW Ambassador
    Lisa, thanks for the quick action on this situation and welcome to ABW! If you hang around here you'll be hanging out with some of the best Affiliate Marketers in the biz, IMO (and some newbies, and some crotchety old cusses, too). Just make sure you're wearing your Thick Skin, though. If people don't like something, they'll have no problems telling you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

For everyone else, I have found Lisa to be one of those RARE Affiliate Managers -- she LISTENS and TAKES ACTION.

Thanks Lisa/WBShop/NewLineShop. The products which I'd found were out of stock are on your list, so I'll take down the links tonight. Nice idea about sending the email when products are taken off your site.

I'll definately second Cedric's thanks for the quick response! Certainly gives me a good feeling about your affilate program and I'll try to feature more products now that I know someone out there is WB-land is listening [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Lisa:

About how often do you upload a new file to CJ? We can keep track better if we know the interval.

Thanks.

quote:
    Originally posted by WBShop/NewLineShop:

-Harry Potter Girls' Backpack
    -Harry Potter Messenger Bag

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: WBShop/NewLineShop ]

Lisa, as of today the two items above are still available in the product detail at CJ. I don't know about the others - I just happened to run across those two.

- Ed

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread