Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Is This Some New Scam, Or?
    Today I was expecting a call, so when the phone rang I actually picked it up.
    Instead of who I expected, on the other end was some foreign person with a thick accent (possibly derived from some Asian language, or maybe Indian-dialect English).

She asked for [a domain that's been ignored for months].com. I admitted that yes, it's one of mine...

Then she asks for my fax number, so she could fax me "this document." HMMM...
    I don't have a fax, so I said that...she was amazed, and said twice, "this company does not have a fax machine??!?"
    (I need to fax something about once a year on average...much smarter for me to just go to the copy shop and pay the buck...)

Then she said she'd email the "document" instead and confirmed my email address (which she must have gotten out of the whois).

Then she hung up before I could ask who the heck she was/who she represented! And nothing came to that email addy but the normal spam...

So does anyone know, is this some blighted rot, or just a telemarketer who was hoping to get a fax number to be able to sell~?

if you have caller id get the number while you still can ;-)

ABW Ambassador
    Then she asks for my fax number, so she could fax me "this document."
    Did she say what kind of document?

Hope you have your domain locked. If they are legit, they might want to buy it else probably they are upto another scam.
    The Best Forums
    Nothing in the world can take the place of persistance
    . Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistance and determination are omnipotent.
    Abestweb Store

Someone posted a similar story(on this board) a few weeks back I can''t find the post right now I'm just popping in...I'm traveling out of state with limited access.

Seems this is happening to others getting calls from foreign sounding people asking if they are the owners of a website and then pretty much getting hung up on.

I know I read this a few weeks ago.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

ABW Ambassador
    I had it happen several weeks ago, but I don't recall an accent. They said it was about my *main* domain (which they had the name and info on), they wanted to verify information about the domain and were insisting on a fax number. When I said just email it, they gave a story about the mail for their site being down.

imho it's some kind of phishing scheme, or they're trying to verify and harvest phone numbers and/or fax numbers, no doubt for telemarketing or spam purposes.

Maybe they want to send you some junk marketing faxes - it is probably legal if they are from out of USA. Basic policy - never give out any info if you haven't intitated the call.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    if you have caller id get the number while you still can ;-)
    I've got caller ID, but it only got the first 6 numbers. Looked like an area code and exchange, without the last 4. I'm thinking they have some trick to keep anything meaningful from showing...

Quote Originally Posted by newaff
    Did she say what kind of document?

Hope you have your domain locked. If they are legit, they might want to buy it else probably they are upto another scam.
    Nope, no comments about what kind of document it was...

The domain is locked. Fortunately, BulkRegister automatically locked everything down a while ago (when there was some change in how transfers work).

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    I had it happen several weeks ago, but I don't recall an accent. They said it was about my *main* domain (which they had the name and info on), they wanted to verify information about the domain and were insisting on a fax number. When I said just email it, they gave a story about the mail for their site being down.

imho it's some kind of phishing scheme, or they're trying to verify and harvest phone numbers and/or fax numbers, no doubt for telemarketing or spam purposes.
    I'm surprised she asked about the domain of mine that she did. Especially since my on-record email for that domain has a different URL in it! Yet, no question of "do you own xxxxx.com too?" like a real salesperson probably would have asked.

No accent for yours? I guess they could have outsourced the calling now, or maybe whoever called me was just faking the accent.
    She didn't try to insist on a fax number, but seemed quite amazed that I didn't have one! I thought this was strange, since faxes still aren't all *that* common...

As for phishing, maybe the "document" she wanted to fax would have asked for personal information a phisher could use...

If I start getting a bunch of telemarketing calls, I'll know what the bit was. Anyone who buys such a list will be out of luck, at least with my number. I've gotten that call I had been expecting, so it's back to the voicemail black hole for any other callers!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Xion
    Maybe they want to send you some junk marketing faxes - it is probably legal if they are from out of USA. Basic policy - never give out any info if you haven't intitated the call.
    All she learned by talking to me is that there's no fax here...other than that, as far as I know, she only knows what was in the whois. I didn't provide any new information. And, other than wanting a fax number, she hadn't asked for any. Who knows, though, what would have been requested via fax, if I did have a machine?

It just seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to get a fax number...it must be costing them a bundle to call everyone on their whois list.

I'd have thought that they could spider the fax numbers out of the whois, and just dump faxless entries out of their database.

Most of the outside USA calls use Internet Calling. This is how is works. They call over Internet to a computer / center near you, in your local area. The computer calls a local number (no charges). For the caller, the cost is mimimal, labor is cheap and the rewards in dollars can offset the caller's salary.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Before I answer any questions, I ask them for their number and tell them that our company's privacy policy requires that we initiate the call for any information exchanges. Legit companies will give you a number to call back that you can google before placing the call. The others just hang up.

Token "Canadian" Cool Guy Ryan@MB's Avatar
    If they sound like tele-marketers, here's a little trick i use... Tell them the you are extreamly busy right now and that you can call them back when the work schedule gives you the chance. If they give you the number they are legit... if they try and work around you and ask when they can call then they are a waste of time and I hang up right away.
    Ryan MacWha
    Merchant Manager
    [b]We’ll help you build your affiliate program[/b]
    [b][URL="http://www.maxbounty.com"]MaxBounty 2.0[/URL][/b]

Talking
    What I do is tell them to wait just a minute and I'll go get the person that they want - lay down the phone - and go back to whatever I was doing when they called and burn up minutes that they are paying for until they finally catch on and hang up.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Before I answer any questions, I ask them for their number and tell them that our company's privacy policy requires that we initiate the call for any information exchanges. Legit companies will give you a number to call back that you can google before placing the call. The others just hang up.
    That's a good idea.....

The post some of you were referring to may have been the one I started, though others had the same experience. Someone calls, wanting to confirm information & said they'll send me something, but won't say what or who they represent, other than saying they don't work for a registrar... I don't get any other telemarketers, so I don't know what they're doing w/ my phone number. Usually the only things I get at my P.O. Box besides checks & stuff I request are these fake bills that suggest I need to renew my domains through them - that's all I can think of as far as who these callers work for.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I usually only resort to the "lay the phone down" for telemarketers who keep on going when I say "I'm not interested." I usually don't even tell them that I'm puting the phone down.

Another fun one... Give the phone to your two year old.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

We had a great time with telemarketers. For some reason my son's name got on a list and the telemarketers would call and ask for him. At the time he was about 6 or 7 and so I would hand him the phone. It was hilarious. I love wasting their time!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Internet Cowboy
    I ask all telemarketers what they are wearing, in my best sexy and seductive tone. I especially like doing this to male telemarketers

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I ask all telemarketers what they are wearing, in my best sexy and seductive tone. I especially like doing this to male telemarketers
    LOL, too funny!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

My ex father-in-law, (don't ask...lol) used to get sucked into every telemarketer scam. It got to the point where his wife and children knew that the only way to keep telemarketers from calling back over and over again was to tell them that he had passed away. I think it was tempting fate, but it sure did work!

Jessica Dagg
    Affiliate Manager
    www.maxbounty.com

I used to have fun playing along with them, acting interested in what they were selling, then gradually getting more and more excited about what I was gonna get until they finally noticed and hung up on me.

When that stopped being fun I just started askng them to hold on a moment, then setting the phone down.

Now that I'm on the do not call list I rarely get those calls anymore.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Yeah, I don't get any telemarketers anymore, but I get tons of "surveys" since those aren't regulated by the do not call list.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MLMEruption
    Is it a scam? Yes. It's used in Domain Name Hijacking. And here's why/how... (No, I don't speak from experience...)
    That's scary to think that people could do that so easily.

While I appreciate the details (and I'm sure Leader will too), I think it's best if we delete your message. We don't like to document how fraud is done here on ABW, because it just makes it easier for future fraudsters to learn how to defraud people.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Wow! That's quite a scam!

Thanks a lot for explaining it, MLMEruption!

Michael's right that it wouldn't be good to leave that where some crook may be educated by it. But put it like this, if someone wants a fax #, don't give 'em any--and if you've put one in the whois...take it out!

This thread is another good reason to pay for private registration.

Yes, it can be very scary.

The very first domain I registered, waaay back when you had to jump through hoops to do anything with the domain, we had someone try to hijack it from us.

This was very early on in the age of the WWW... turns out some other company had spent about 25K on advertising with that particular domain name then thought, "Hey, nobody will register that name"... well, we didn't know, and we did.

We had every intention of releasing it to them, but they got down right rude with me. After the harrassing phone calls, I told them they could purchase the domain from me for 5K.

That's when they tried to hijack it using a very similiar method to the one I mentioned here.

Domain hijacking is still a very real threat today, and yes, people should take precautions and safeguard their registrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Today I was expecting a call, so when the phone rang I actually picked it up.
    Instead of who I expected, on the other end was some foreign person with a thick accent (possibly derived from some Asian language, or maybe Indian-dialect English).

She asked for [a domain that's been ignored for months].com. I admitted that yes, it's one of mine...

Then she asks for my fax number, so she could fax me "this document." HMMM...
    I don't have a fax, so I said that...she was amazed, and said twice, "this company does not have a fax machine??!?"
    (I need to fax something about once a year on average...much smarter for me to just go to the copy shop and pay the buck...)

Then she said she'd email the "document" instead and confirmed my email address (which she must have gotten out of the whois).

Then she hung up before I could ask who the heck she was/who she represented! And nothing came to that email addy but the normal spam...

So does anyone know, is this some blighted rot, or just a telemarketer who was hoping to get a fax number to be able to sell~?
    I had the same call, here is another thread about it.
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=69297
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast