Tax Paying Member
    Mikasa
    Is it just me.

I can't seem to get any of the Mikasa links to work. I have tried individual products and banners. Are they still working on the "Christmas" shutdown??

Same here - datafeed doesn't loads images, following links show product not found.

None of their links have worked for over two months. They sent out some emails about an upgrade. Once they finish the upgrade, we'll have to change out all of our links.

Here's the first notice, from December 16, 2005:

URGENT - Please remove all Mikasa affiliate links!

Mikasa Launching New Website

On Monday, December 19th, Mikasa will be launching a brand new website designed to increase customer satisfaction, usability and sales conversions. This restructuring will provide an improved layout and streamline the order process, ultimately leading to more sales (and commissions). However, with this improvement comes a bit of downtime.

Affiliate Program Links Will be Down

During the initial launch of this site, our affiliate program will be going through an intensive testing procedure that will result in sales tracking to be down for a two week period from December 19th through January 4th. We would like to request that you suspend your marketing activities on behalf of Mikasa, including removing your banners and links during this time. We will inform you as soon as testing is completed and will send you new links to post on your site. We very much appreciate your past participation and your cooperation during this time. Rest assured that all your sales have tracked 100% correctly through today.

Special Bonus Program Upon Relaunch

We understand how frustrating a re-launch like this can be, so to thank you for your continued participation, we will be extending an bonus program upon our relaunch. Details will be included with our Relaunch annoucement.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Jamie Birch and Robin DeCato
    The Mikasa Affiliate Team
    mikasa at converseon.com
    Phone 212-213-4297 x306
    Here's the January 13th update:

Dear Affiliate,

We thank you for your patience and cooperation as Mikasa rebuilds and relaunches their site and works to get LinkShare tracking back online. We had hoped that this would have been fixed by now. Unfortunately, tracking is still not up.

We understand how frustrating this can be and thank you for your continued partnership. Our team will notify you immediately upon completion of testing and implementation.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Jamie Birch and Robin DeCato
    mikasa at converseon.com
    www . mikasa . com
    Phone 212-213-4297 x307
    Here's what it says in the LinkShare interface:

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the recent redesign of the Mikasa.com website, all affiliate tracking has been temporarily suspended. We are currently testing all links and notify all affiliates as soon as this process has been completed.
    I must say that this ranks near the top of the list of things that a merchant should never do.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I must say that this ranks near the top of the list of things that a merchant should never do.
    I have one that tops this:
    Putting their balls in a blender!
    [SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=RoyalBlue]He who asks is a fool for five minutes...but he who does not ask is a fool forever.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] :rolleyes:

Here's the latest (lack of an) update:

Dear Mikasa Affiliate,

We thank you for your continued partnership with the Mikasa affiliate program. Unfortunately, we do not have any news for you at the moment on the expected date of relaunch. Please do not promote Mikasa until testing is complete and we notify you of the program's relaunch. In the meantime, all affiliate tracking remains suspended and we would like to again request that you remove all links from your site(s). We will notify you immediately of the relaunch of the program.

We sincerely apologize for this delay and thank you for choosing to promote Mikasa. We look forward to working with you and reaping the gains of our brand new site.

Thank you for your understanding.
    mikasa at converseon.com
    Jamie Birch, Affiliate Relations Director
    212-213-4297 x307
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Actually, if you go to the Build Your Own Links area, you can create links that work. The problem is that even though they land on the right page at Mikasa, they still have sales tracking turned off.

I've had it with them. They started calling me last year, telling me that I was one of there top 5 producers. After I received the email Mike posted just above this post, I blew a fuse. I wrote back that obviously Mikasa doesn't care about keeping me as an affiliate, and that if the program isn't tracking by this Monday, their links were getting swapped for other merchants and they would not be swapped back whenever they do get around to relaunching the program.

When they announced that they were redesigning the site in the middle of December, they said that the Affiliate Program would only be down for two weeks. It's now been over two months. I'm a very, very patient person. But even I've run out of patience with this nonsense.

Wow... I remember the uproar about their timing (Xmas) a few months ago. I didn't realized they were still kludged. That's a shame...

I noticed you were still able to make purchases in person here at their outlet store, so that part of their business is still functioning correctly...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Wonder if their BHO's are complaining?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

There has to be something else going on, because affiliate tracking isn't rocket science. With most networks, you should be able to get tracking in place within hours or days (or minutes, if it's just a sale tracking pixel). If their back end is so complicated that it takes them months, perhaps they should switch to a network that supports sale tracking pixels. They could be back up in less than a day if they did that.

If they were a big performer for me, I would be quite upset at the delays. With their high prices, infrequent promotions, and poor site design, they've never been a big performer for me, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I think the something else that's going on is that there are a lot of affiliates that never took down their links. So, even though the have payment tracking turned off, they are still getting traffic for Free. If you click on an old link you get a page the has a link to the new site.

It's a cumbersome process for me to take down the links, as I individually designed several hundred pages. However, once I pull those links and replace them with a couple of CJ merchants that carry Mikasa products, they will not go back up no matter when they decide to turn tracking back on. As far as I'm concerned, they have treated me shabbily and they aren't going to get me back. They told me I was one of their top affiliates.

Looks like in the end, both LinkShare and Mikasa lose and CJ wins.

I believe their stuff shows in amazon.com; there's an alternate of sorts.

When they pulled their holiday trick I washed my hands of them.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I'm pretty sure you weren't alone Leeann. I wasn't even promoting them then, and I still sent them a nastygram in email...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

The issue is an entire internal reorg on the website. They are promising a new and affiliate functional website. When? Well, it is (according to insiders) much overdue.

Fred

Tax Paying Member
    I am getting e-mails from Mikasa again.

Is anyone still promoting them after the trick from last Christmas??
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Mikasa who?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I remember them sending me a personal invite to join - via email, not the standard Linkshare stuff.

But it was soooo arragant. Something like:

We saw your site. We're considering letting you apply. What would you do for us?

I won't print my reply because some people have sensitive ears.

http and a telephoto
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

They lied. They took advantage of our free traffic for months ... like pulling all the links was an easy thing (when I finally had the time to do it in June, it took me 10 days to swap out the hundreds of individual product links on my site) ... and now ...

10% commission for October. That's our reward for forgiving them. I'm going to spend 10 days changing everything back? I don't think so.

Isn't it interesting that a program that was supposed to be back up and running in January is finally ready just in time for the holiday shopping season?

I might link directly to a few products that no other program offers; however, there are alternatives. I know of two CJ programs that carry the product line as well as Amazon. They are not the only game in town. I would rather earn 5% from somebody I can trust, then 10% from somebody who screwed me over.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread