Merchants Issue list
    Starting this list to let other affiliates know about merchants that do not pay their invoices on time. This will give you a sort of caveat when deciding which merchants to promote.

Starting from the top:

Blockbuster.com: Late on payments.

Just as an FYI...as you are going nuts over here in performics BB.com is raising commissions in AffiliateFuture (http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=70417). Maybe you should try to see if you can get a contact at BB from them.
    Reha Kocatas - MagazineAgent.com
    Programs available on Commission Junction and ShareASale.com
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I have a list of bad merchants going but to be fair, I don't think it should be posted in Performic's forum because many are not Performics merchants. But this is a good idea. I think this list is needed, only not in a specific forum, maybe midnight cafe?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I have a list of bad merchants going but to be fair, I don't think it should be posted in Performic's forum because many are not Performics merchants. But this is a good idea. I think this list is needed, only not in a specific forum, maybe midnight cafe?
    I agree BUT...when a merchant corrects the issue or is wrongly accused, etc the thread will get unwieldy quick. There has to be a better way to do this that is effective.
    Reha Kocatas - MagazineAgent.com
    Programs available on Commission Junction and ShareASale.com
    Highest Commissions on Magazine Subscriptions Visit the Magazine-Agent Affiliate Forum

Quote Originally Posted by rhkocatas
    I agree BUT...when a merchant corrects the issue or is wrongly accused, etc the thread will get unwieldy quick. There has to be a better way to do this that is effective.
    I'm all for ideas. I would love to have both a bad and GOOD merchant list but many people won't give up their good merchant list for fear of competition. I'd be happy to post who's good and bad. I think this would be a huge advantage to our industry, both for publishers and merchants. If a "bad" merchant makes good, they can have their bad rating negated by a lot of good votes.

Maybe make a poll with ability to add merchants and vote either very bad or very good on a scale. 2 very bad votes will drag 2 very good votes down to a mediocre level, etc.

Haiko, can we do this? I think it needs some kind of additional programming to set it up.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Firstly, yuckfu has willing decided to change their username, and I really appreciate that.

Rexxie, gimmie a week and I'll set something up, in the mean time we can post merchant names here for now.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    I don't see anything wrong with posting merchants who pay late. Maybe putting in out in public would encourage them to get with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Firstly, yuckfu has willing decided to change their username, and I really appreciate that.

Rexxie, gimmie a week and I'll set something up, in the mean time we can post merchant names here for now.
    OK thanks Haiko!

Here's a starter list of "bad" merchants (in no particular order):

1) Baby Universe (BF)- late payments and no response to email
    2) eMerchandise (in house) - non-converting
    3) Generic Gifts (in house) - non-converting
    4) Magic Cabin (LS) - Attentive AM but poor conversion
    5) Appetizers to Go (LS) - non-converting
    6) Christmas Dazzle (SAS) - non-converting
    7) Design it Yourself Gift Baskets (SAS) - non-converting
    8) AAA Balloons (CJ) - non-converting
    9) Aarons Baby Baskets (CJ) - non-converting
    10) eBags (CJ formerly BeFree and just as sucky there) - non-converting
    11) EZ Sweeps (CJ) - non-converting
    12) Little Tikes (CJ) - non-converting
    13) Rafaello Ties(CJ) - non-converting
    14) Tree Givers(CJ) - non-converting
    15) Vons (did not track and no response to email about it)
    16) MVP (BF) - non-converting
    17) Nickelodeon (BF) - non-converting
    18) Gap (BF) - non-converting
    19) Baby Cakes (in house) - non-converting
    20) Baby Face Cards (Kolimbo) - non-converting
    21) Club Mom (Kolimbo) - non-converting
    22) Kimmy Shop (SAS) - non-converting
    23) Are You Game (CJ) - non-converting and no response to email
    24) Astrology.com (CJ) - non-converting
    25) Gift Tree (CJ) - non-converting
    26) Giftwrap.com (CJ) - non-converting
    27) The Candy Depot (CJ) - non-converting
    28) S&S Worldwide (BF) - No response to email
    29) Disney (LS) - non-converting
    30) Hallmark (LS) - non-converting
    31) Santa Letters (CP Empire) lousy conversion
    32) Hearth Song (LS) - Attentive AM but poor conversion
    33) GiftBaskets.com (LS) non-converting
    34) GiftBaskets by Grandma (In-house) - stale content, no seasonal updates on site and no response to numerous emails.

OK, that's my 2 cents worth of warning to unsuspecting publishers. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I have another idea for this "list" - Merchants can willingly add their program to the list to be "judged" by publishers.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Well lists like that would be a big mess.

A merchant paying late is a factual type of thing. As far as conversions, that can vary wildly between affiliates. Kind of going off the path of what ManicMailman intended.

ManicMailman vbmenu_register("postmenu_540122", true);

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Well lists like that would be a big mess.

A merchant paying late is a factual type of thing. As far as conversions, that can vary wildly between affiliates.
    That's why a sliding scale is needed. If a merchant gets a lot of "good conversion" marks, said merchant won't necesssarily be hurt by just one negative vote or by a disgruntled publisher's vote.

Maybe we could have a list of voting sections, such as conversion, timely payments, email response, etc. I'm all for making this fair. And if we had a list with all merchants, we could judge each one and the good ones would come out on top. It's an incentive for merchants to keep or get their programs functional and payments timely.

You got a better idea Trust? I think all the input we can get for this would be great.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    "And if we had a list with all merchants"

That's thousands and what everybody else thinks about a merchant does nothing for me.

Mailman just wanted this:
    "Starting this list to let other affiliates know about merchants that do not pay their invoices on time."

There have been things in the past and is impossible to put together and updated. Even had ABW Trusted Merchants. Seems you want an Affiliate Rated Merchant System or something. Like a Bizrate but with an affiliate skin. Just don't see it happening. There are some old threads on it from years ago.

"And if we had a list with all merchants"

That's thousands and what everybody else thinks about a merchant does nothing for me.

Mailman just wanted this:
    "Starting this list to let other affiliates know about merchants that do not pay their invoices on time."

There have been things in the past and is impossible to put together and updated. Even had ABW Trusted Merchants. Seems you want an Affiliate Rated Merchant System or something. Like a Bizrate but with an affiliate skin. Just don't see it happening.
    Maybe too idealistic a concept. Dunno - I'm out of ideas if this doesn't seem a viable way of rating merchants. Anybody else have an idea?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    You already have the perfect method:

"7) Design it Yourself Gift Baskets (SAS) - non-converting"

Your own stats.

There are some on your list that I do fine with. I'm sure there are merchants you do fine with that I can't get to convert. If I told you there is a merchant on your list that you have as non-converting, that I convert at almost 10% with a $77 EPC, that's not going to change how you do with them and vice versa.

You already have the perfect method:

"7) Design it Yourself Gift Baskets (SAS) - non-converting"

Your own stats.

There are some on your list that I do fine with. I'm sure there are merchants you do fine with that I can't get to convert. If I told you there is a merchant on your list that you have as non-converting, that I convert at almost 10% with a $77 EPC, that's not going to change how you do with them and vice versa.
    I love knowing that conversion rates can be so drastically different. And if you told me a merchant I was having great success with was not converting for you, of course it wouldn't change my opinion of that merchant either.

Some "non-converting" stats are too huge to ignore, thus this list (of mine). There are merchants on my list who did not convert on my site but, after replacing them with a competitor merchant, all of a sudden sales skyrocketed on my site. So ... there's sh*t flinging and then there's real ISSUES.

All we have at this time is the option to remove and/or replace a merchant that doesn't convert. A rating system might give this industry a better way. Looking at a merchant's EPC, etc. is somewhat of an indicator but also not affiliate based whichI think is a more important indicsator.

So, maybe just have a list of "non-paying" merchants? That in itself would be valuable. I was hoping to find a way to also expose more about merchant programs but if there is such a huge discrepency in numbers, maybe it's not the best way. BUT ... if your positive vote negates my negative vote (or vice versa) it leaves an indication of value nonetheless. So, if a merchant has 10 high positive votes and 1 or 2 high negatives, the rating would be adjusted accordingly. We could always add a disclaimer "For informational purposes only ... your conversions might be better or worse for this merchant but you won't know until you put them on your site and they either convert or don't." Which is, in essence, exactly what we currently have.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Yeah, I have a couple merchants from Rexanne's list that convert well for me. I get a 20% conversion ratio with one of them.

I like the idea of having affiliates rate specific features about merchants. What mades a merchant a "bad merchant" for some may not be a big deal to others. For instance, how fast a merchant pays is a very minor issue to me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Lightbulb
    eMerchandise converts quite well for me. In addition, their AM is proactive and the checks arrive on time. However, that conversion happens for me in the in-house program. In SAS the cookies are 'way too short.

We've gotta be more fair regarding conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    eMerchandise converts quite well for me. In addition, their AM is proactive and the checks arrive on time.
    Thank you for the kind words I do my best to make sure that people have access to the tools that they need for their job.

On a side note I am moving on from eMerchandise in favor of doing some independent work. So I am now a free agent for anyone looking for advice on Web Development or SEM.

I am confused. Why is this in the Performics thread? I see many listed who are not Perf. merchants.

Also, are these issues strictly payment or other?

Here's one:

Cabelas was 120 days+ behind. Is now only 90-days behind.
    (Caveat - I like Cabelas - except this one issue).

Fred

I think we should end this thread. It is not productive. If Blockbuster is not paying, fine, post that.

But to label merchants as bad becasue they don't convert for one affiliate is too subjective. I have many merchants that convert well for my site, but don't for others. And the reverse is true as well. But I still work with them and try different approaches to see if that can change.

ABW Ambassador
    Wyndham Hotels
    Wyndham Hotels hasn't paid since August 2005 bookings.

Question
    Bringing this up again Why don't we have polls for merchants? That way we could get more "universal" feedback. Of course, I suppose like anything else, they could become falsely inflated, but if it was just for those who are registered, it could work?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Bringing this up again Why don't we have polls for merchants? That way we could get more "universal" feedback. Of course, I suppose like anything else, they could become falsely inflated, but if it was just for those who are registered, it could work?

I'd love to see something along these lines if it's possible.

Particularly appealing would be to see what merchants get high ranks if they are non-converting on my site. Would give me hope and maybe keep me from pulling their links ... and would work the same for other affiliates. Would also indicate that I'M doing something wrong if a merchant is awesome for others but not for me.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    I found Eversave links and banners all lead to error pages and are the same promotion. I'm currently adding a number of merchants links to my site and as I find bad ones I will update here...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    ExOfficio - all images dead
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread