Ok - call me a thicko but....
    I am rubbish at SEO. I used to use publisher and have now switched to front page. Anyway, I thought using heaps of layers was cool - i used them for everything. But, what i didn't realise was that the stuff i had put in layers would not be seen by the search engines. The problem is, this is a huge site. I am changing pages as i go. It's my favourite site - but, I got web CEO, and you can guess what i did as soon as i got it - submitted every single page with it to every search engine possible. Well my pages weren't optimised - to a search engine, the body might as well have been invisible. When I optimise them all, will this make a difference to the big G, or will it pick up my optimised pages?

Also, how often should i submit my sites? CEO says once a year, but i have read other places to do it monthly. Help.

Also - one more thing. My competitors have low ranking keywords plus high ranking ones for each page - they are top ranked but i checked them out on Alexa and a lot of their backlinks were from link farms. So I don't know if their rankings are to do with their multiple keywords or backlinks. Some of their keywords they have used rank less than 10 hits per day. Would i be better to leave out those words, or just follow the leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by Richer Brat
    Also, how often should i submit my sites? CEO says once a year, but i have read other places to do it monthly. Help.
    ONCE. As long as they are optimized well and you're doing link exchange with other sites, SE spiders will find you themselves!

Geno

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    what Geno said.

..and don't try too hard.

Also, I would suggest hand-coding a template(s) instead of relying on frontpage or the like. The cleaner your code the better. those page builders add a lot of extra crap.

GBM

I noticed the crap - what I've done is to change the html in the code part for what i've needed. Am starting to realise that front page is not all i thought it would be. I can do my sites quickly with it now - after alot of practise, but would i be better trying out something like dreamweaver or sticking with what i have?

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    baby steps
    i dont have too much experience with dreamweaver.. i use Homesite by Macromedia... although I hear good things about dreamweaver. (Homesite doesnt code for you it just color identifies what you're doing and provides code validation services, find/replace features, etc... I think dreamweaver is very similar).

as far as site layout, i have always tried to code one element at a time. For example, build the header. Once you like how the header looks, then build the footer. Once header and footer are both done, build your navigation out. I place each element in a server-side include (.ssi).. so that basically each page is calling to several includes..namely the header, footer, global nav & local nav, making the body/content area the only real unique aspect of each page.. (which by the way the content area can include tons of 'unique content').

I just find that focusing on one element of a page at a time.. that can populate an entire site globally helps to not overwhelm.. Plus it makes your overall site mgt a hellofalot easier. For example, when you change/add a link in your navigation, you only change the .ssi file instead of all your files..

hope this helps and that I am not ramblin' too much -haha

Gary has given some very valuable advice Richard.
    Took me a while to figure that out (SSI and editing), but once I did WOW!
    SSI changed everything. Easy to learn and implement.
    You can do similar stuff in PHP with includes, with a bit of studying and save the updating from SSI to PHP later on.
    Either way using includes on your pages is the way to go.

I use dreamweaver and it does very well with making code, but knowing how to edit your code is still vital so you can make changes where you like. And when things go buggy you can figure it out.

Always keep learning and asking....then share too

Peace,
    --Brian
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread