Negative Balance: WTF?
    I logged into CJ today only to see that my balance is far less than the amount of commissions I earned in January -- by over $250. It shows that I had a negative balance starting the month of February.

I am only running eBay and eBay.ca programs.

I know that eBay.ca had some kind of snafu where they overpaid performance incentives, but that was supposed to have been cleared up with December's numbers. My performance incentives for January, paid in February, seem just fine.

How can I figure out just why I have such a large negative balance prior to February transactions? There must be some kind of huge adjustment there, but I can't find it. I ran a commission detail report by posting date for February, but there are only positive transactions on it.

So why am I missing $256.46 from my account? Where did it go?

Ralph

Ebay holds 6% of your earnings to pay for the reversals. If you got more reversals than the 6%, CJ will take it out of your balance as fee. I got the fees deducted from my account every month. But nothing near $256. You might want to contact both CJ and EBAY to find out what it is.

What kind of transaction do the "reversals" show up as, and if the amount is less than 6%, does that get put back into your account?

I've not seen any red ink for the last 2 months, so I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by dharding
    What kind of transaction do the "reversals" show up as, and if the amount is less than 6%, does that get put back into your account?

I've not seen any red ink for the last 2 months, so I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks.
    I had asked CJ about it and they refused to give me any details. Your balance will be adjusted between 1st-10th for the reversals.

You should be able to run a Commission Detail report to see the reversals. Click "Review new transactions", then "Modify Query" and change it to "Commission Detail", change "Action Status" to "All", and change the Time Frame to go by "Posting Date".
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    You should be able to run a Commission Detail report to see the reversals. Click "Review new transactions", then "Modify Query" and change it to "Commission Detail", change "Action Status" to "All", and change the Time Frame to go by "Posting Date".
    Thanks for the info Michael. I was fuming about a CompUSA $1745 sale, where I even pointed the buyer to where to buy some wholesale S/W to go with the recommended system purchase. I've noticed large disappearing sales in CJ for this and other merchants for months. After this "other" excuse crap and the few sales reported I've earned $1.75 on 3911 clicks since Jan 1st 2006. How much is that per click???

Original ID 467831791
    Status new
    Action Type Sale
    Event Date 1-Mar-2006 19:54 PST
    Total Sale Amount $0.00 USD
    Total Commission $0.00 USD
    Total Corrected ($52.32) USD

Action History
    ID Sale Amount Commission Posting Date Description
    467831791 $1,743.99 USD $52.32 USD 20-Feb-2006 08:00 PST
    471355698 ($1,743.99) USD ($52.32) USD 28-Feb-2006 12:26 PST Other

Amazing I place a new computer products VAR distributor into my old wholesale
    club's shopping cart 3 weeks ago and book over $32,000 in peripheral and clone system sales. Total ecatalog clicks under 250. He who controls the cart controls the honesty of reporting. Too bad CJ and the others have ZERO control over the shopping carts. Don't blame my EcomCity traffic all you CJ merchants. I have 6 new SAS merchants with limited traffic and my EPC is $29.40.

If CJ/VC wants me to leave the networks, along with Todd and Scott, then they'd better put it in writing as I've never broken one network rule since 1998. I just checked my payment history and CJ links earned me a paycheck every month until 2005 for 7 years straight. Traffic and clicks the same! Now reaching minimum on 2000 clicks per month is a real chore. That goes for every ABW CJ merchant posting here. If you don't want 100% legit targeted clicks just say so and I'll take time to eliminate you ASAP upon notice.
    Last edited by ecomcity; March 1st, 2006 at 11:36 PM.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    compUSA reverses almost (if not) everything. but you won't notice that from their four-bar network earnings. they're on my list of report-manipulators/tricksters.

You should be able to run a Commission Detail report to see the reversals.

I agree I should be able to see such a reversal in this way, but none are listed.

If I have a negative balance that means my last check was for "too much". That means the adjustment would have had to occur after the check was cut -- in other words, I need to look back at most, 30 days.

When I do that, I have no reverals in the past 30 days. Yet I have a "Current Balance" of -256.46.

The only "funny" thing I see is a transaction listed as a "sim_sale" transaction (remember, I only run eBay programs) -- status "closed" -- and the Order ID field says "January Withholding Credit". It is for a positive number, so that tells me that they are giving money back that they took away.

I'm going to write to CJ on this one. A large negative balance deserves an official explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by dharding
    Red Ink? That happens? All I've ever seen is $25 to $40 in one eBay "Winning Bid" marked "December Withholding", "January Withholding," ... under ORDER ID. It's never been a negative number.

Can anyone decypher this response from CJ?

If you access your "Run Reports" tab you will find a total of $256.46 under your "Current Balance". It is under this section that is the best indication of what you can expect to receive in commissions for that month as these transactions have all traveled through the appropriate steps and are set for payment. Your Current balance on the top of the screen may include "New" transactions and or ones that have been extended by an Advertiser and there fore may not necessarily be paid out that month. I so show one reversal in the amount of $8.70 dating back to December but do not seem to apply here.
    He obviously missed the fact that the 256.46 was NEGATIVE (surrounded by parentheses). He confirms that there are no reversals other than one that was already accounted for in my last check (December reversal).

So why am I short by $256.46 with no reverals?

Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    the reports that were ostensibly upgraded to provide us with more value seems to create more confusion.

since i don't remember any affiliate publicly owning up to being consulted beforehand, this brings me to this question. to whom were those upgrades intended for? in other words, who's idea were they anyway?

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    eBay.ca did a big correction and we gto an email from them on March 1st or 2nd...

"...Today, some of you may have noticed that your account balance shows a transaction debiting your account. Please be aware that the situation was rectified with the introduction of the new program terms and new Global Terms and Conditions on February 1. The debit assessed to your account is to correct for any overpaid amount in January..."

Yes, but read the mail. It says you may have noticed a "transaction debiting your account".

I have no such debit. My only negative transaction since December was a reversed sale from Icejerseys.com posted in January and accounted for with my January check.

The problem may be that when you have a negative balance brought forward from the previous month, all of the reversed transactions are changed to "closed" and you can't tell a reversal from a sale, especially if CJ has made a mistake in accounting and then corrected it. You may have (250.00) in your balance forward, and they may have credited you in the "locked" section. Anyway, if you can call client services instead of emailing, do that and if/when you don't receive a correct answer, ask for a supervisor.
    Hope this helps.

OK, I figured it out with the help of an eBay.ca rep who saw my post.

This is related to the eBay.ca "performance incentive" problem. That's where they've been paying out more in incentives than they should have.

The problem, as I see it, is that this transaction was put through as just a "credit". It did not appear on the commission detail report, it only appeared on the transaction detail report.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    compUSA reverses almost (if not) everything. but you won't notice that from their four-bar network earnings. they're on my list of report-manipulators/tricksters.
    Maybe we should sick Asif (GoldenCan) on them as his great creative application's stats might verify some shady no-real-cause cancellations.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread