I received this in the email today - my first feeling was "Oh! What can I send them"
    Then I realized there are many scams happening..
    here it is:
    Dear sir.ms,
    I'm writing to you because, after not being able to have another child after the birth of our daughter 16 years ago, we have decided to adopt and after a long two years of praying & waiting we are honored to announce God is blessing us with a beautiful little angel girl due to be born on 01/27/02, and we would love to receive coupons, product samples or products from your company to help us prepare for her arrival. You have such wonderful products and we feel it would be such an honor to have the chance to include and use them for our sweet angel to enjoy and to help us get ready for our blessed day. Your beautiful products would be a wonderful help and are so nice, and we look forward to trying them and telling everyone about them and recommending them to everyone we know.
    Your help and generosity is so appreciated and we thank you so very much for any help you can offer to help us get ready for our sweet angel. God Bless you,
    Thank you from our hearts.

It was sent from my site and they just left their address...what do you think?
    Yes, I know it sounds like I'm a major corp, little do they know I'm just a woman sitting on top of a mountain with a computer!
    Do you think it's genuine?

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: mousejockey ]

ABW Ambassador
    my .02 is:

If you usually give to charities this time of year (or anytime for that matter) and it would make you feel good - then do something and don't worry about if it's a scam or not. If the person writing the letter isn't really in need and is just scamming you it doesn't change your generosity or the good feeling you get by giving.

If, on the other hand, you feel deep within yourself that this is a scam, but you still want to do a good deed or help someone- make a nice donation to an orphanage or something in these people's names.

mousejockey

Why did you print my mail? I always send them, especially to lottery winners [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously, I think myself it is a scam, I cannot imagine a genuine person doing that.

Even more, I cannot imagine the adoption agencies allowing somebody who has to beg food for their child to adopt.

I might be wrong but I don't think so. How do you guys feel?

It may not be a large scale scam, but it sure sounds to me like they're trying to scam your "company". In the beginning you feel pity for them, in the middle they butter you up, and in the end they thank you for your generosity.

This email is doing what I've seen over and over in scams. It toys with your emotions.

Another thing I noticed is how "unpersonalized" it is. The way that this email is written, it could have been (and probably was) sent to the webmasters of numorous sites.

I dunno, I could be wrong, but it looks to me like somebody's trying to get free christmas presents. You should tell them to help themselves to FreeWorldz.net <-- my bit of spam [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

-Joey

I think you're right, an adoption agency wouldn't allow anyone adopt a child without some sort of financial security behind them.

I know they're very strict here in Oz, and assume it's pretty much the same in the US.

Send them a package of huggies newborn diapers.

Very helpfull if they are really having a baby. I should know, Megan goes through 15 diapers a day. :eek:

Oh and with your donation write something like sorry I couldn't do more as I am very unfortunate myself.

I think it could or could not be genuine. Lots of people make a big hobby out of saving and swaping coupons and free samples.

They even have clubs and newsletters for advise and making coupon exchanges. I used to do it and it can be great fun. You can't imagine the thrill of walking out of a grocery store with $500 worth of goods that you got for your coupons at double or better off for items on sell! It really ticks the store managers off, he..he. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I think you may have run into one of them. They DO write letters to companies soliciting coupons, free samples and anything else they can get. It is a great game. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Check out Couponguys Board here.

Heck, I may start doing it again now that I remember how much fun it was. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: SSanf ]

Thanks everyone, the coupon business over here isn't that big so I'm not familiar with it.
    15 diapers a day...agh!
    I'll put an Aussie baby package together, that will surprise them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Your generosity of spirit is admirable.

Of course, if they are members of a coupon club, remember that if you send them anything, all their friends will be wanting some too. Big companies actually like this. It is a cheap way of getting people to try their products. Much cheaper than standard advertising.

Be careful what you send forth. According to our religion, you will get it back three times over. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: SSanf ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My capitalistic mind turns ON...

Whether it's a scam or not, if you make a page with ONLINE coupons for your merchants, you shouldn't be able to go wrong...there's plenty of merchants at CJ alone who offer coupons. The ones I'm thinking of aren't in the "coupon business" so to speak, so there may be some difficulty in pulling them up, though. As a mall, however, you should have a few already signed up who are offering a deal on something at this very moment!

That customer in "on the hook"--reel 'er in!

Hey SSanf, "Be careful what you send forth you will get it back three times over"
    If I send them money will I get a threefold reward...
    sorry SSanf, couldn't resist [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Leader...strangely enough I did try some coupons awhile ago and not a soul clicked them, will try a few again and see what happens, thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Please, read this all the way through. I hope it answers the question!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    OK, I read it through, but the odds that the people who wrote the scam email are witches is not that good.

Assuming it came from the US
    population - 285,565,441 census.gov
    # of witches 1,000,000. (from the letter which is a conservative estimate... so lets say 1,500,000 witches)

So the chance that they are a witch is 0.5253%
    That really doesn't sound like much of an investment opportunity.

Pete, you raise a good point. On the other hand, assuming that your figures are correct, Mousejockey is fully capable of making about $0.87 for every $20 invested into possible witches.
    These figures don't seem like much at first. In fact they seem like a serious waste of money.

BUT THINK AGAIN! When we take a closer look and compare these numbers, we see that the eight is a bigger number than the two and the seven is a bigger number than the zero.

Already we can see profit, but the example isn't over with. You see, we now have four numbers while we know that the total amount of money can only be one number. This means that we need to multiply the two sets of numbers.

8x7=56 and 2x0=0

Then we add the two totals to equal 56.
    Of course we all know that the fraction for "56" is 56/1, which gives us our final answer. For every $1 that Mousejockey sends out to anybody, she will get $56 in return.

I think that when many internet companies are doing math, they forget that cyber-math is different than regular-math, which is why so many dotcoms are bombing.

-Joey

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    lol, funny Heyder, I remember well the diaper changing/sleep deprevation era... I was once found at work asleep, leaning up against a coke machine.....lololol.

ABW Ambassador
    I can guarandamntee u its scam...do u have a jack in a box...a real scary one ?
    Send that to them....and a note with it saying...thats what u get for trying to cheat
    Regards
    TGO

Agh! That's where I've been going wrong...
    been "investing" in charities!

SSanf what's your address, I need to invest in you immediately!

Joey I like your math, every $1 I send out I get $56 back...cool [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Seriously...I'll send Aussie diapers,a koala and a good old jar of vegemite [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] oh! and a packet of Tim Tams!

greetings competitors,

the person that sent that email needn't be poor or a scammer, if they are poor they wouldn't have a PC and internet access, i think what you have here is a newbie shopper

i think its just someone new to the net that hasn't quite worked out how websites work yet so i would suggest doing what leader said, i was going to say the same thing but leader beat me to it

i did have a friend that started writing to companies asking for freebies, he also used to buy a bar of chocolate and leave it to spoil and then send it back saying that he had just bought it and there was something wrong with it, somtimes it was worth the cost of a stamp, sometimes not, my mom bought a pack of burgers once and i stole one when she wasnt looking and when she counted she realised one was missing and genuinely belived that there wasn't the correct amount in the pack when she bought them, she wrote and complained, they sent her lots of freebies and a travel expenses paid invitation to tour the factory

i often get emails requesting very specific products and i create a page with a link to the product just for that person but i have never had a sale this way yet

so for me it hasn't been worth the expense of the cost of the phonebill to put up these special pages but i always do what leader suggested because as a publisher i dont do "free"

BTW mousejockey, i like your website :cool:

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Mousejockey--As for a coupon page being a general moneymaker, I didn't mean that it would be. It's just a way that's free (for YOU) to "give" the person some coupons. And someone asking is about as pre-qualified as it would get...

And Austin's last point, too--I don't do "free" either!

If you do it, be prepared for LOTS of e-mails to the "nice lady" who responded to that person's e-mail...

TGO--I LIKE your idea...heh heh heh...

Joey! Are you Wiccan?!! You really seem to know how to make magic happen. If you aren't, I suggest you sit down and give grave consideration to thinking about it. You sound like a positive natural witch.

mousejockey I will send forth a cone of energy so you will know where and how to invest in me. You should know by the thirteenth day of the second month after the first full moon in your birth year times your age after the first snow fall. But, only if the moon is waxing.

If I don't receive it soon after that, I will wax roth. (And, you know how he hates to be waxed) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

lol! this has turned into a really funny post for a "serious" subject [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

SSanf, could you make it a really big, humungous cone as my birthday is September 11th and I don't think I'll be able to celebrate it for a long time to come!

PS: Do you like witch jokes?
    How many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?

Ha! Depends on what you want it changed into...!
    pssst..thanks austin powers!

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread