Angry Multi-site spam attack - Help!
    I have several sites hosted on the same server and all of them have started getting spam complaints resulting from a verity of IP addresses. I have tried everything I can think of with no effect and the host is ready to shut my business down - so frustrating I'm biting nails. I have blocked dozens of IPs but spam continues to be relayed through the sites.

I found one possible solution here (http://www.arachnoid.com/lutusp/anti...ter_forwarding) but I don't have access to the sendmail.cR file. That solution would block relay of mail through the sites.

Is there a solution to this that a webmaster can impliment, other than blocking IP addresses? My host hasn't beem very helpful.

Ray

The host is ready to shut you down...that's a good one

Ask your host to do this for you. It's something they should have done to start. There may be a number of options available to them to block this email. It is also possible that the email is only being spoofed and never came off your server in the first place, but instead is "shown" as the sender.

If they are unwilling to help you with this issue, it's time to find a more reliable host, which should (if you shop around right) have better security on the server.

First thing you need to do is to remove all your contact form/formmail/tell-a-friend form or check for and remove vulnerable scripts on your sites. Someone probably found a vulnerable script on your sites and are abusing them.

I removed all scripts and the problem continued but... after finding this website:

http://www.dnsreport.com/ (very useful)

I know what caused the problem. They installed a new server but someone didn't finish the setup. It was left as an open relay with no SPF record, which means anybody can use it for sending spam claiming it came from the sites on that server. Now if I can just get the host to take care of it...

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray
    I removed all scripts and the problem continued but... after finding this website:

http://www.dnsreport.com/ (very useful)

I know what caused the problem. They installed a new server but someone didn't finish the setup. It was left as an open relay with no SPF record, which means anybody can use it for sending spam claiming it came from the sites on that server. Now if I can just get the host to take care of it...

Ray

I don't know if your situation is the same as what has happen on one of my friend's site but the scenario is as follows;

He got infected with a spyware on his PC and his login and password for hist site was sent to the spyware author who is also a spammer. They login using his credential and start sending spam to his client list on the server. (I was also one them receiving the spam)

As he is not very savy with computer, the only option he could do was to ask me for advice. I clean up his system of the spyware, inform his webhost and also change his login name and password.

What I am guessing from your situation is that your sites' login and password may have been stolen. Try changing it and see if it helps.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread