Cookie Cannon?
    I've heard this term thrown around... What is it?

I haven't seen that particular reference, but I can only assume it relates to a website and/or piece of software (such as, but not limited to, a toolbar) which does nothing but autoset a bunch of [affiliate] cookies on a computer without user interaction. Done by the less than ethical players in this game.

I'm sure Mike & Charlie (ecomcity) will be along soon to clarify since it's sounds like a term they would more than likely come up with, lol.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ABW Ambassador
    First time poster, long time listener. What's an adwhore? And how much do they cost?

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    First time poster, long time listener. What's an ad whore? And how much do they cost?
    Huh? Are you saying I'm an ad whore? Not sure what that is, but I guess it's someone who spams the forums promoting something? Hardly, I'm not even a long time listener. I'm a web developer and I'm thinking about trying Aff marketing. I'm leaning toward not doing it, because it seems that 90% of the people in this game are selling hope and BS. It's my style to research EVERYTHING before I do it. So, since I've made my first post here, I've spent many hours reading old posts and asking questions.

I'd be glad to send you my real name and personal phone number via PM -- whenever I'm allowed to send PMs.

ABW Ambassador
    No, lol, wasn't directed at you. Just another term Mike uses a lot. I think he needs to make a post with all those terms and then a translation that people can reference.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    No, lol, wasn't directed at you. Just another term Mike uses a lot. I think he needs to make a post with all those terms and then a translation that people can reference.

Ok I guess you handle, "TrustNo1" made me paranoid.

AHH - it just hit me. I think I get all the fuss over "parasites" now. These people who push adware and various things that infect the browsers -- are affiliates themselves and making sales... And everyone that does legit business wants them out of the various networks; however, the people that run the networks tend to be less than vigilant in weeding them out because they are making sales. And it really sucks when your hard earned traffic ends up giving the parasite credit for the sale.

See, I've never payed any attention to adware or spyware because I use Linux.

Do I have it figured out?

Right on the money.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    >adwhore

Some would say that certain networks are pimping for them.

Some eye-opening reading here under "Installation Methods": http://www.benedelman.org/publications/

That covers a fraction of the unethical players though. But it gives a clear idea what many of them do. And not all of them do it through software, the software vendors are just some of the most notorious.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    See just one wanks Adwhore map below

Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread